I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Peru in December
- 2 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 3 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 4 Tarapoto
- 5 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 6 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 7 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 8 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 9 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 10 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 11 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 12 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 13 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 14 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please
- 15 Packing for Galapagos Cruise - Lessons Learned
- 16 Campinas and Natal help
- 17 Ecuador Haciendas and Weather
- 18 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 19 Uruguay for wildlife
- 20 A month in Argentina--what would you do?
- 21 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 22 45 days in Colombia - Our Experience
- 23 Ecuador safe travel
- 24 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 25 South America this October