I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Looking for travel buddies in Salta/Jujuy
- 2 Proposed Argentina trip for Feb '18 - looking for advice?
- 3 Cusco area and Machu Picchu guide
- 4 Travel to Salta/Jujuy
- 5 Argentina with a touch of Chile and some help needed
- 6 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 7 Argentina vs Chile
- 8 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 9 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 10 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 11 Avianca business class
- 12 Planning Argentina Trip
- 13 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 14 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 15 Aboard the Amazon Star
- 16 Feria de las flores
- 17 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 18 Brazilian Visa Documents - Help!
- 19 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 20 comments
- 21 Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Puno VS Copacabana VS La Paz VS Coroico
- 22 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?
- 23 Huacachina, Peru
- 24 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 25 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro