I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Quito, Galapagos and Otavalo
- 2 2 week Brazil, Argentina and Peru itinerary
- 3 Peru 3 Week Itinerary Feedback PLS!
- 4 Rainbow mountain trek
- 5 Restaurant Iguazu Falls
- 6 1 Month Backpacking Peru Itinerary Check
- 7 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 8 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 9 Iquitos
- 10 Weight limits on LATAM airlines
- 11 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 12 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 13 transport to San Antonio De Areco, Argentina
- 14 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 15 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 16 AllenBrooks- guide/driver in Rio
- 17 Bariloche car rental
- 18 Guide recommendation Cusco Sacred Valley Machu Picchu
- 19 Child visa to Brazil. Please share your experience.
- 20 All inclusive hotels near San Pedro de Atacama?
- 21 Is the Seno Otway Penguin Reserve Currently Open?
- 22 Any Sights en Route from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales to TdP?
- 23 SA first-timers* need Peru advice!
- 24 Galapagos tour one week on a boat
- 25 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia