I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 My Lima Layover
- 2 Not your usual Lima Layover Trip Report
- 3 Strike Peru May 27-28 - urgent decision
- 4 Safety in Rio?
- 5 New to traveling, and I need help.
- 6 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 7 3 weeks backpacking across Brazil
- 8 Travel in Brazil or visit Machu Picchu?
- 9 driving to salvador
- 10 Areas to stay in Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires
- 11 Pantanal tour prices
- 12 Travel Agent Recommendation for Patagonia
- 13 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 14 Planning Trip to Patagonia and Wine Country
- 15 Do you need passes to see machu picch?
- 16 It's Restaurant Week in Lima til 24 May
- 17 Hostels in Rio de Janeiro
- 18 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 19 Itinerary Advice..+/- days advice
- 20 recommended hostels in lima and cuzco
- 21 tours and tips
- 22 Transportation from Santiago airport to Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
- 23 Best plan for 6 days between Cuenca and Quito?
- 24 Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro
- 25 Water in Peru