I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 2 Mom wants to go to cusco/macchu picchu in 5 days - impossible?
- 3 Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes
- 4 Bariloche rafting trips
- 5 Argentina &TDP-8th-18th April.
- 6 El Calafate and El Chalten
- 7 Cape Horn cruise in Feb. or March?
- 8 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 9 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 10 Safety warning?
- 11 Iguazu falls logistics
- 12 Packing for Chile in November
- 13 Lima stopover
- 14 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 15 Amazon side trip
- 16 travel from el calafate direct to Torres delPaine
- 17 First Trip to Colombia Advice Needed!
- 18 Domestic Flights within Chile
- 19 Argentina ( Junin de Los Andes)in mid January
- 20 Wine tour & transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Airport
- 21 Uruguay, then Buenos Aires in early March
- 22 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 23 Santiago - where to stay?
- 24 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego
- 25 Tour guide/ agency