I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 2 How many days in Medellin area?
- 3 Machu Picchu changes its entry schedule
- 4 Lodging by Medellin Airport
- 5 Argentinian Honeymoon
- 6 Finding a group to hike with
- 7 Buenos Aires, Patagonia hike, Uraguay beach and Iguazu idea feedback needed
- 8 Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas
- 9 Chilean Travel Agent Suggestions Needed
- 10 Galapagus July
- 11 The Atacama Desert
- 12 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 13 AirB&B in Buenos Airies
- 14 2 day Inca Trek and a fear of exposure/heights
- 15 1 day for Iguazu Falls (I know, but that's all she has)
- 16 Pisco sours
- 17 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 18 Last min cruise to the Galapagos
- 19 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 20 Soles in Lima,Peru
- 21 Baños & Alausí (Paillon & Nariz del Diablo)!
- 22 Help needed with itinerary for Argentina and Chile
- 23 2 Weeks in Cusco Itinerary
- 24 Huacachina, Peru
- 25 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile