I am just starting to plan a short trip (under 2 weeks) in Chile for our family of 4 grown ups towards mid February . Our primary interest is wine but we are also interested in scenery, nature, hiking, history, architecture....oh and food of course! We like to travel independently and don't mind driving lond distances. We don't like crowds and prefer small places with character to big tourist attractions.
My tentative schedule looks something like this:
Day 1: Santiago
Day 2: Maipo Valley wineries day trip or sleepover?
Day 3: San Antonio Valley sleep in San Antonio or other characteristic town
Day 4: Cachapoal Valley self drive sleep in a hacienda
Days 5 & 6: Colchagua Valley 2 nights Santa Cruz
Days 7 & 8: Aconcagua Valley sleep in Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
Day 9: Casablanca Valley and night at the airport to fly - and this is where I need most advice -
either North to San Pedro de Atacama to visit the desert
or South to Puerto Varas and the Lake district
for a further 3 nights before flying back to Italy. We have already been to Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego in Argentina.
I still need to put a lot of research into this but any feedback from the experts at this early stage would be very helpful.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 June travel in the Galapagos, Andean Ecuador, and Machu Picchu
- 2 Ten Days in Chile - TdP and Atacama
- 3 Other forums for Buenos Aires
- 4 Place to Stay in Latacunga, Ecuador
- 5 Asuncion to Buenos Aires
- 6 Packing for 8 Days in Ecuador
- 7 Weight limits on Peru trains
- 8 Travel Agency in Peru - Deborah Ferrari
- 9 Buying entrance tickets to Machu Picchu - online not working
- 10 Has anyone taken the 3:30am Cruz del Sur bus out of Lima?
- 11 Senior Travelers to Galapagos
- 12 Yohan, Why Not Suriname
- 13 Booking Galapagos accommodation upon arrival in the high season
- 14 Drawing money at ATMs in Brazil
- 15 Best Galapagos cruise itinerary when combining with land trips
- 16 Train to Aguas Calientes
- 17 help with a trip to south america
- 18 Restaurant ideas in Lima for my birthday
- 19 Mistura - anyone been?
- 20 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 21 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 22 Jungle Lodge Brazil
- 23 Tickets to enter Machu Picchu
- 24 Ups and downs of our trip to Peru--from Machu Picchu to LIM airport floor
- 25 Other cities to visit in Brazil other than RIO