I've never been to South America. Earlier today I was able to use the British Airways miles we obtained from the British Visa promo earlier this year (100k miles!!!) to get two tickets for my DH and I (both 30) arriving in Montevideo, Uruguay, and departing Buenos Aires the first week in December. I wanted to do it open-jaw to avoid the expensive arrival fee that the Buenos Aires airport assesses.
We'll have 8 nights.
I'm thinking a split, 4 nights each, in Uruguay at the Four Seasons, then the remainder in Buenos Aires at the Four Seasons property there.
In Uruguay, we'd like to go to Colonia and visit the wineries. We'd also like to eat a lot and have some relaxation time around the pool!
In Argentina, we'd like to visit Buenos Aires, eat steak, take advantage of the exchange rate, and enjoy the culture.
Based on my research thus far, a lot of people seem to pair a Buenos Aires trip with a trip to the Mendoza wine region. I was looking at the Cavas Wine Lodge, but I don't think that we'll want to deal with flights for this trip. I'd rather really explore in-depth the two areas where we are based than spread ourselves thin. So, that's where the Four Seasons Carmelo comes in.
My question is, does this sound like a good plan?
Would you do 5 nights in Buenos Aires and then 3 nights Uruguay instead? Cities tend to be tiring and I don't usually like to stay in a city more than 4 nights (our flight home from Buenos Aires doesn't leave until 10:30 p.m. so we'll have another full day on our departure day).
Or, would you suggest something else?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Looking for travel buddies in Salta/Jujuy
- 2 Proposed Argentina trip for Feb '18 - looking for advice?
- 3 Cusco area and Machu Picchu guide
- 4 Travel to Salta/Jujuy
- 5 Argentina with a touch of Chile and some help needed
- 6 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 7 Argentina vs Chile
- 8 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 9 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 10 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 11 Avianca business class
- 12 Planning Argentina Trip
- 13 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 14 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 15 Aboard the Amazon Star
- 16 Feria de las flores
- 17 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 18 Brazilian Visa Documents - Help!
- 19 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 20 comments
- 21 Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Puno VS Copacabana VS La Paz VS Coroico
- 22 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?
- 23 Huacachina, Peru
- 24 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 25 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro