I've never been to South America. Earlier today I was able to use the British Airways miles we obtained from the British Visa promo earlier this year (100k miles!!!) to get two tickets for my DH and I (both 30) arriving in Montevideo, Uruguay, and departing Buenos Aires the first week in December. I wanted to do it open-jaw to avoid the expensive arrival fee that the Buenos Aires airport assesses.
We'll have 8 nights.
I'm thinking a split, 4 nights each, in Uruguay at the Four Seasons, then the remainder in Buenos Aires at the Four Seasons property there.
In Uruguay, we'd like to go to Colonia and visit the wineries. We'd also like to eat a lot and have some relaxation time around the pool!
In Argentina, we'd like to visit Buenos Aires, eat steak, take advantage of the exchange rate, and enjoy the culture.
Based on my research thus far, a lot of people seem to pair a Buenos Aires trip with a trip to the Mendoza wine region. I was looking at the Cavas Wine Lodge, but I don't think that we'll want to deal with flights for this trip. I'd rather really explore in-depth the two areas where we are based than spread ourselves thin. So, that's where the Four Seasons Carmelo comes in.
My question is, does this sound like a good plan?
Would you do 5 nights in Buenos Aires and then 3 nights Uruguay instead? Cities tend to be tiring and I don't usually like to stay in a city more than 4 nights (our flight home from Buenos Aires doesn't leave until 10:30 p.m. so we'll have another full day on our departure day).
Or, would you suggest something else?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 2 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 3 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 4 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 5 Machu Picchu in January
- 6 Dining in Medellin
- 7 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 8 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 9 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 10 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 11 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 12 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 13 santiago chile area
- 14 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 15 Reflections on our South America trip
- 16 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 17 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 18 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 19 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?
- 20 visit in the area of Campinas,Brazil and weather
- 21 Buying show tickets to Cafe Tortoni
- 22 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 23 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 24 One week in Cartagena?
- 25 Argentina 3 week Itinerary