I've never been to South America. Earlier today I was able to use the British Airways miles we obtained from the British Visa promo earlier this year (100k miles!!!) to get two tickets for my DH and I (both 30) arriving in Montevideo, Uruguay, and departing Buenos Aires the first week in December. I wanted to do it open-jaw to avoid the expensive arrival fee that the Buenos Aires airport assesses.
We'll have 8 nights.
I'm thinking a split, 4 nights each, in Uruguay at the Four Seasons, then the remainder in Buenos Aires at the Four Seasons property there.
In Uruguay, we'd like to go to Colonia and visit the wineries. We'd also like to eat a lot and have some relaxation time around the pool!
In Argentina, we'd like to visit Buenos Aires, eat steak, take advantage of the exchange rate, and enjoy the culture.
Based on my research thus far, a lot of people seem to pair a Buenos Aires trip with a trip to the Mendoza wine region. I was looking at the Cavas Wine Lodge, but I don't think that we'll want to deal with flights for this trip. I'd rather really explore in-depth the two areas where we are based than spread ourselves thin. So, that's where the Four Seasons Carmelo comes in.
My question is, does this sound like a good plan?
Would you do 5 nights in Buenos Aires and then 3 nights Uruguay instead? Cities tend to be tiring and I don't usually like to stay in a city more than 4 nights (our flight home from Buenos Aires doesn't leave until 10:30 p.m. so we'll have another full day on our departure day).
Or, would you suggest something else?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 International transfer Buenos Aires AEP
- 2 (Santiago/Valpo done)---Mendoza help please!
- 3 Steer Clear of "Amazon Rambo"
- 4 Peru 18 day itinerary help please!
- 5 Panama, Ecuador and Colombia trip report
- 6 Peru/Amazon/ Machy Picchu Family Vacation
- 7 galapagos island
- 8 Peru's Amazon and the Heat - Iquitos Ceiba Tops Lodge vs. Puerto Maldonado
- 9 Questions Regarding Buenos Aires
- 10 Thinking of OAT trip to Machu Picchu, Galapagos and Amazon Rain Forest
- 11 christmas in buenos aires
- 12 Changing money upon arrival in Buenos Aires
- 13 Advantages of bringing cash to Argentina
- 14 10-12 week Backpacking Trip in South America
- 15 Best Latin American countries!
- 16 Peru in Late February?
- 17 Sao Paulo
- 18 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 19 Salud !
- 20 Cartagena
- 21 Peru domestic airline layover time
- 22 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 23 OAT trip to Columbia?
- 24 Best Bus Company to Iguazu Falls
- 25 ferry: Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento