I've never been to South America. Earlier today I was able to use the British Airways miles we obtained from the British Visa promo earlier this year (100k miles!!!) to get two tickets for my DH and I (both 30) arriving in Montevideo, Uruguay, and departing Buenos Aires the first week in December. I wanted to do it open-jaw to avoid the expensive arrival fee that the Buenos Aires airport assesses.
We'll have 8 nights.
I'm thinking a split, 4 nights each, in Uruguay at the Four Seasons, then the remainder in Buenos Aires at the Four Seasons property there.
In Uruguay, we'd like to go to Colonia and visit the wineries. We'd also like to eat a lot and have some relaxation time around the pool!
In Argentina, we'd like to visit Buenos Aires, eat steak, take advantage of the exchange rate, and enjoy the culture.
Based on my research thus far, a lot of people seem to pair a Buenos Aires trip with a trip to the Mendoza wine region. I was looking at the Cavas Wine Lodge, but I don't think that we'll want to deal with flights for this trip. I'd rather really explore in-depth the two areas where we are based than spread ourselves thin. So, that's where the Four Seasons Carmelo comes in.
My question is, does this sound like a good plan?
Would you do 5 nights in Buenos Aires and then 3 nights Uruguay instead? Cities tend to be tiring and I don't usually like to stay in a city more than 4 nights (our flight home from Buenos Aires doesn't leave until 10:30 p.m. so we'll have another full day on our departure day).
Or, would you suggest something else?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Making the most of Montevideo
- 2 visiting Patagonia on cruise ship vs land trip
- 3 Peru transport questioins
- 4 Kudos - Brazilian Visa service = FAST
- 5 Packing for 2.5 months in Buenos Aires
- 6 Oasis Collection - Apartments in Buenos Aires
- 7 Insect repellent recommendations
- 8 Is Nat Geo Family Odyssey to Galapagos truly kid-friendly
- 9 Places to eat like a local
- 10 Galapagos
- 11 Chile Trekking options
- 12 Sunday Brunch at Alvear Palace with Avrooster
- 13 Ecuador - Tap Water Question
- 14 Taxi Ezeiza - BEWARE!
- 15 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 16 Fifteenth
- 17 Four Days in Buenos Aires
- 18 Patagonia w/out Guide
- 19 Suggestions for Antarctica/Patagonia Tour Operator
- 20 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 21 LAN Stopover in Lima
- 22 Sixty days in Colombia
- 23 Packing advice for weather
- 24 Iguazu Falls -- is Brazil side worth the cost?
- 25 Patagonia Planning