We are traveling for 12 days in Brazil (Aug 6-18) and in the beginning stages of planning. We are trying to make a feasible itinerary that is somewhat relaxing too. Here are some of our goals:
1) Experience Rio
2) Spend some time in the Amazon region (3-5 days?)
-We were thinking Manaus
2b?) Perhaps some time in Brasilia since we would have to stop over there
-Is it worth it?
3) Something else perhaps...
-Could it be Sao Paulo
-Perhaps Lençóis Maranhenses National Park
-Perhaps a trek to Salvador
-Maybe more feasible is some 1-2 day long side trips from Rio?
-Could be Iguazu falls (Wife really wants to see this, but it's a "dry" season and also we're not too thrilled about paying $160 for the Argentinian visa...perhaps we'll save that fee for a Argentina vacation)
Here are some questions we have that we'll put towards this awesome community
1) Air travel - better to buy ahead online or wait and buy with cash in the country?
2) Cell phone service - Buying a SIM Card with data for two weeks? Worth it and from whom?
3) Rental Car - It is useful for a few days traveling outside of Rio?
Thanks to much all!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 2 Colombia, best adventures for birthday.
- 3 Mom wants to go to cusco/macchu picchu in 5 days - impossible?
- 4 Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes
- 5 Bariloche rafting trips
- 6 Argentina &TDP-8th-18th April.
- 7 El Calafate and El Chalten
- 8 Cape Horn cruise in Feb. or March?
- 9 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 10 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 11 Safety warning?
- 12 Iguazu falls logistics
- 13 Packing for Chile in November
- 14 Lima stopover
- 15 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 16 Amazon side trip
- 17 travel from el calafate direct to Torres delPaine
- 18 First Trip to Colombia Advice Needed!
- 19 Domestic Flights within Chile
- 20 Argentina ( Junin de Los Andes)in mid January
- 21 Wine tour & transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Airport
- 22 Uruguay, then Buenos Aires in early March
- 23 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 24 Santiago - where to stay?
- 25 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego