I'd like to get away but having a hard time deciding where to go. I think it's because I'm going solo and I was hoping to go with someone but that doesn't seem to be working out. I was planning on going with a friend and her friend but wasn't comfortable with the idea of sharing a bedroom with two women for a week. There were also some other issues such as my friend and her friend wanting to meet with a travel agent before the three of us even sat down together to talk about it. I felt a little uncomfortable and upset by this that I then decided to go solo. However, I'm having a hard time feeling excited about going on my own. I had a weak moment today (after hearing how wonderful my sister's trip was with her husband and their friends in DR), I called my friend and told her that I was reconsidering and would like to join her and her friend (in their 50's; I'm in my 30's) but she didn't seem anxious to have me join them. She reminded me of why I didn't want to go with them instead of being more encouraging and supportive. I was secretly hoping that she would say something to make me feel better, tell me that we would have a good time and that it was great that I changed my mind but it wasn't like that at all. I don't mind traveling on my own, (I have done it before) but it would have been nice to have that companionship and feel excited about going with someone. However, I don't want to dwell on it and let it bring me down anymore. I want to make the most of my singlehood and look at the positives of my situation.
So, I'm trying to figure out what type of vacation would be good for me so that I'm not feeling lonely when I'm away. I travelled to solo to Europe for 3 months, and to Red Mountain Spa in Utah a few years ago. I travelled mostly around Italy & France visiting friends/family and then off on my own, which I enjoyed. I found it easy and enjoyable meeting new people, and walking the streets day/evening, or take public transit. I felt safe. When I was at Red Mountain Spa, I did kayaking, mountain climbing, hiking, yoga, and biking through the mountains. I also had a few spa treatments but for the most part, I went to Red Mountain b/c of the activities, and healthy meals. I also found it easy to meet/mingle with new people.
These are the places that I considered:
1. Mexico - Playa del Carmen, Cabo, Riviera Maya. I am still learning about Mexico and the different locations that are safe and not so safe. I read the safest are: Tlaxcala, Yucatán, and Baja California Sur. I don't know much about these areas but did read a few details about them on-line.
I found this place in Mexico, which sounds lovely and quaint: Hotel Petit Lafitte in Playa del Carmen. This is another place that I was looking at: Casa Caribe Bed and Breakfast in Puerto Morelos, Mexico.
2. Costa Rica - I read mixed reviews about CR. It seems that some people travelling solo felt safe and comfortable being in CR whereas others swore they would never return b/c they felt unsafe, were robbed or assaulted.
These destinations were also suggested to me and deemed to be safe for solo female travellers: Aruba (minus what happened several years ago with the American high school student), Turks & Caicos, Bermuda, Hawaii, and Cayman Islands.
I have also thought about California for another spa resort destination but would like for there to be some type of activities such as kayaking, yoga, mountain climbing, etc. Or if there is another spa/resort destination that someone can suggest?
I was looking at The Body Holiday, and The Landings in St. Lucia but they seem $$$$. Ideally, I don't want to go over $1000 and would like if breakfast and dinner were included. I'm a single income earner so I don't have a lot of money to play around with.
I am looking for some R&R, but I also like to walk around the town, meeting/talking to new people, some activities/entertainment - I'm not looking to go clubbing or drinking. Just something light - even in the lounge or dinner area - some music and people hanging out or being able to go for a walk in the evenings instead of staying in my room watching TV, even though I probably won't mind.
I'm in my 30's and not looking for gourmet meals but delicious/good food. I'm vegetarian but eat fish. I don't want fast food/junk food. I want something more on the healthier side. I would like a nice beach and don't want to be around a lot of kids. I work with them Mon-Fri so I want a break from them. Unfortunately, I was looking to go away during March Break (b/c I don't want to lose days/pay from work) but I would be willing to go mid-late March Break and miss a few days at the end of the break.
Thanks for your input.
Winter Break Getaway - Travelling Solo
- 1 Liberia Airport to Samara
- 2 Belize jungle lodge -- please help choose
- 3 Belize -- several questions -- please help!
- 4 TC's Cozumel List -- Updated 2/2011
- 5 Backpack vs Wheels
- 6 help with 8 days of rainforest, beach and adventure in Costa Rica
- 7 Brief trip report: Northern Honduras (Pico Bonito)
- 8 Off on a Home Exchange to San Jose Costa Rica
- 9 Costa Rica: Itinerary and some questions
- 10 Tour company to help plan trip to El Salvador and Nicaragua
- 11 Help with 5 days touring time
- 12 Costa Rica trip in March
- 13 Safety in Ixtapa
- 14 Staying in Cozumel - Is Chichen Itza worth the trip?
- 15 5 Day Belize Trip - Need Suggestions
- 16 Adopt an animal donation?
- 17 Puerto Viejo Lodging
- 18 Cabo San Lucas
- 19 Guatemala City Airport to Antigua by car & other helpful hints
- 20 Roatan advice
- 21 Best Beach Resort For Snorkeling Mexicos West Coast
- 22 Isla Mujeres, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen for best swimming and snorkeling?
- 23 Cabo San Lucas- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos?
- 24 Shopping for silver jewelry in Puerto Vallarta? Some personal suggestions.
- 25 Drive from Panama To Belize