This is a really loaded question but here goes: we have decided to go to Costa Rica for Christmas break this year -- Dec 21- Jan2, 13 days including travel time to and from California. "We" are my husband and I (both active 48 year olds) and our two pre-teen (10 & 12) daughters. We are a very outdoorsy family and want to see the natural wonders of Costa Rica as well as do the Zip-line things in the Canopy and a 1/2 day or day rafting trip (class 1-3 only. I am seeking suggestions for itineraries, i.e. where should we go, as well as for accomodations. Ideally, we don't want to be "on the run," but would prefer to stay at 2-3 different places and use them as "base camps" for our daily excursions. We are Lonely Planet type folks -- we don't want to totally rough it but we don't need fancy accomodations and do want to immerse ourselves in local culture. And, travelling as a family, we do have some limitations on accomodations I realize. This is the very beginning of my research (I'm off the local library now), so if you can point me in the right direction that would be great Thanks so much and I look forward to your posts.
Where go with preteens in Costa Rica
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Colorful large parrots in flocks
- 2 Puerto Vallarta Favorites
- 3 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 4 Tamarindo CR = best for us?
- 5 White water rafting the Pacuare River April
- 6 Exotic birds migrating locations
- 7 Looking for a quiet vacation spot on the Caribbean side of Mexico
- 8 Riu vs Westin?
- 9 Sim card and power
- 10 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 11 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 12 April trip to Puerto Vallarta with two young children-- suggestions?
- 13 Mexico region question
- 14 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 15 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 16 Costa Rica best use of 9 full days with young kids!
- 17 Costa rica help
- 18 car rental companies
- 19 Roatan safety and other suggestions?
- 20 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 21 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 22 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 23 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 24 cozumel tennis
- 25 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR