This is our itinerary during Christmas and New Year. We are two families with 3 kids (age 5, 6 and 8). We have booked the activities in the itinerary (indicated as "Reserved") so we are all set with those. My questions are:
1. What can you recommend for each day after we are done with the main morning activity? It must be kid-friendly and kid-doable!
2. Is it worth visiting Tabacon Hot Springs?
3. Are there any must-eat restaurants that you can recommend?
4. Is my estimate of time required for driving correct? We have rented a SUV, and will be downloading a EZFind Costa Rica map.
Fly into San Jose, pick up car and drive to Hotel in Alajuela .
See Poás Volcano [45mins drive; reach before 10AM before clouds over the volcano]
See La Paz Waterfall gardens [20 mins drive]
Leave for Arenal (9 AM; 3-4 hrs drive)
Afternoon, go to Tabacon Hot Springs (Day Pass Entrance Only)
Sky Tram and Sky Walk (unguided) at Arenal Volcano National Park [Reserved]
Cano Negro boat tour [Reserved]
Drive and hike to La Fortuna Waterfall
Leave for Monteverde (10 AM; 4-5 hrs drive)
Guided Tour Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve [Reserved]
The Bat Jungle
Evening, see Ranario (Frog Pond)
Ziplining Canopy Tour [Reserved]
Hidden Valley Night Tour
Leave for Manuel Antonio (10 AM; 5-6 hrs drive)
Stop by Tarcoles river bridge to see the wild crocodiles
Horseback ride to forest and waterfalls [Reserved]
Relax and spend time at the Playa Espadilla public beach
Early morning guided hike to Manuel Antonio National Park [Reserved]
Spend rest of the day at a beach (#3) inside the park
Damas Estuary Boat Trip [Reserved]
Leave for Alajuela (10 AM; 3-4 hrs drive). Return car.
Fly out of Alajuela/San Jose
Two-week itinerary during Christmas and New Year with kids.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 What area in Mexico is safe for kids with calm beautiful beaches?
- 2 Bus from SJO to San Jose , Costa Rica
- 3 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 4 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 5 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 6 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 7 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 8 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 9 Mi tocaya y yo en Panama
- 10 Getting to Tortuguero -- worth the trip?
- 11 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 12 Somewhere hot!
- 13 Mexico City where to stay for 4 nights
- 14 Family Vacation, Caribbean Costa Rica and Panama
- 15 Back From Puerto Vallarta
- 16 Cancun-discounts.com
- 17 Mexico City, Chiapas and Yucutan, too much??
- 18 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 19 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 20 Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort and Spa in Cabo San Lucas
- 21 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 22 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 23 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 24 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 25 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old