This is our itinerary during Christmas and New Year. We are two families with 3 kids (age 5, 6 and 8). We have booked the activities in the itinerary (indicated as "Reserved") so we are all set with those. My questions are:
1. What can you recommend for each day after we are done with the main morning activity? It must be kid-friendly and kid-doable!
2. Is it worth visiting Tabacon Hot Springs?
3. Are there any must-eat restaurants that you can recommend?
4. Is my estimate of time required for driving correct? We have rented a SUV, and will be downloading a EZFind Costa Rica map.
Fly into San Jose, pick up car and drive to Hotel in Alajuela .
See Poás Volcano [45mins drive; reach before 10AM before clouds over the volcano]
See La Paz Waterfall gardens [20 mins drive]
Leave for Arenal (9 AM; 3-4 hrs drive)
Afternoon, go to Tabacon Hot Springs (Day Pass Entrance Only)
Sky Tram and Sky Walk (unguided) at Arenal Volcano National Park [Reserved]
Cano Negro boat tour [Reserved]
Drive and hike to La Fortuna Waterfall
Leave for Monteverde (10 AM; 4-5 hrs drive)
Guided Tour Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve [Reserved]
The Bat Jungle
Evening, see Ranario (Frog Pond)
Ziplining Canopy Tour [Reserved]
Hidden Valley Night Tour
Leave for Manuel Antonio (10 AM; 5-6 hrs drive)
Stop by Tarcoles river bridge to see the wild crocodiles
Horseback ride to forest and waterfalls [Reserved]
Relax and spend time at the Playa Espadilla public beach
Early morning guided hike to Manuel Antonio National Park [Reserved]
Spend rest of the day at a beach (#3) inside the park
Damas Estuary Boat Trip [Reserved]
Leave for Alajuela (10 AM; 3-4 hrs drive). Return car.
Fly out of Alajuela/San Jose
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Buying a property in Sayulita
- 2 Buying fraud-proof, machine-readable e-passports.
- 3 Our first trip to Mexico-It won't be our last!
- 4 Please help with a one moth itinerary
- 5 Panama City visit; the good and the bad
- 6 Renting Car along Riviera Maya
- 7 Spanish speaking city to spend August 2017?
- 8 Trip to Merida - Very Long and Lots of Info on Restaurants
- 9 Merida in March
- 10 Trip to Costa Rica - Pura Vida
- 11 Mexico in March - questions
- 12 Hopefulist's 2013 Guatemala Travelogue
- 13 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 14 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 15 Private Fishing/Snorkeling boat in Playa del Carmen
- 16 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 17 Nicaragua - dividing time between Leon and Granada
- 18 Adventures in Portobelo, Panama
- 19 Costa Rica With Kids-Recommendations Requested
- 20 travel in Yucatan
- 21 Driving through Mexico to Belize
- 22 Police Harassment in Cancun
- 23 Gay Places in San Pedro Belize
- 24 AI Child-Friendly Tulum Vicinity (30+ mi)
- 25 Which beach location (w/ small kids)?
Two-week itinerary during Christmas and New Year with kids.