There have been a number of enquiries regarding viewing turtles at Ostional; how to get there, best time, and where to stay. I was successful in viewing Arribadas on 3 of 7 nights, but found photographing the event, and getting to the right position both in time and place quite challenging, as the migration can occur at any point along a 4km section of beach and the start is also variable. Normally it starts at night when the sky is very dark and lasts till dawn, but one day the Arribada began unexpectedly in the late afternoon when very few spectators were present. Another factor to consider is the big Arribadas occur during the wet season when the roads are potholed, the road to Nosara flooded and the closest petrol 1.5 hours away in Santa Cruz. Still viewing an Arribada with 10,000 turtles on the beach is an amazing spectacle to behold and a must-do experience. To help with planning and expectations I have an illustrated article with maps and photos at http://www.artphototravel.net/sth-america/turtle-arribadas-ostional-costa-rica/
Turtle Arribadas at Ostional Costa Rica
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Help me with 3rd trip to CR: Bosque del Cabo & WHERE else in Feb?
- 2 Car Rental in Panama
- 3 Costa Rica Itinerary Help!
- 4 5 Star NOT AI Beachfront Playa del Carmen
- 5 Belize
- 6 Planning trip to Panama
- 7 Copa Airlines?
- 8 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 9 time share jerks in mexico !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 10 Intercultura Samara Language School, and Safety in Samara
- 11 Costa Rica - Guanacaste and ? near the arenal volcano or la fortuna
- 12 bicycle through central america
- 13 Cancun,playa del carmen,riviera maya, playa mujeres
- 14 Tijuana Safety in 2015?
- 15 Spanish Language immersion schools in summer (N of Mexico City)?
- 16 Cenotes near Playa Del Carmen
- 17 Panama
- 18 Celebrating Day of the Dead in Oaxaca - 2015 - Thoughts?
- 19 planning a very short belize trip for snorkeling, scuba etc, please help.
- 20 transportation from SJD to Los Barriles
- 21 9 Days in Costa Rica // Itinerary Help // Travel agency?
- 22 Costa Rica
- 23 Which of these locations?
- 24 Has anyone been to Tapalpa?
- 25 B & B in Oaxaca?