There have been a number of enquiries regarding viewing turtles at Ostional; how to get there, best time, and where to stay. I was successful in viewing Arribadas on 3 of 7 nights, but found photographing the event, and getting to the right position both in time and place quite challenging, as the migration can occur at any point along a 4km section of beach and the start is also variable. Normally it starts at night when the sky is very dark and lasts till dawn, but one day the Arribada began unexpectedly in the late afternoon when very few spectators were present. Another factor to consider is the big Arribadas occur during the wet season when the roads are potholed, the road to Nosara flooded and the closest petrol 1.5 hours away in Santa Cruz. Still viewing an Arribada with 10,000 turtles on the beach is an amazing spectacle to behold and a must-do experience. To help with planning and expectations I have an illustrated article with maps and photos at http://www.artphototravel.net/sth-america/turtle-arribadas-ostional-costa-rica/
Turtle Arribadas at Ostional Costa Rica
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 2 Apartment Finders
- 3 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 4 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 5 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 6 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 7 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 8 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 9 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 10 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 11 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 12 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 13 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 14 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 15 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 16 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 17 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 18 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 19 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 20 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 21 Looking for Belize itinerary planning suggestions
- 22 Family Vacation, Caribbean Costa Rica and Panama
- 23 Hopefulist in Belize, 2014
- 24 International connectons through San Pedro Sula or Panama City
- 25 Looking for a resort similar to excellence playa Mujeres