There have been a number of enquiries regarding viewing turtles at Ostional; how to get there, best time, and where to stay. I was successful in viewing Arribadas on 3 of 7 nights, but found photographing the event, and getting to the right position both in time and place quite challenging, as the migration can occur at any point along a 4km section of beach and the start is also variable. Normally it starts at night when the sky is very dark and lasts till dawn, but one day the Arribada began unexpectedly in the late afternoon when very few spectators were present. Another factor to consider is the big Arribadas occur during the wet season when the roads are potholed, the road to Nosara flooded and the closest petrol 1.5 hours away in Santa Cruz. Still viewing an Arribada with 10,000 turtles on the beach is an amazing spectacle to behold and a must-do experience. To help with planning and expectations I have an illustrated article with maps and photos at http://www.artphototravel.net/sth-america/turtle-arribadas-ostional-costa-rica/
Turtle Arribadas at Ostional Costa Rica
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 time needed to depart San Jose airport
- 2 Best Places to Visit in Mexico
- 3 Costa Rica at Christmas?
- 4 Should we cancel our vacation to Mexico in December?
- 5 Renting a car in Cancun
- 6 First trip to Ajijic-Advice Needed
- 7 Yucatan - April 2015 Mayan Ruin week trip - Need help planning
- 8 Unreliable www.cancuntransfers.com - DO NOT USE their service
- 9 best hotel for family traveling with young adults in Panama City
- 10 A Week in Montezuma
- 11 Need help with airport transfer in Mexico
- 12 Finalizing Graduation trip for granddaughter
- 13 thinking of changing itinerary in CR-need feedback
- 14 Tlaquepaque and Colima - December 2014
- 15 Cheap One Man Trip to Mexico
- 16 Riviera Maya or Puerto Vallarta
- 17 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 18 Best country to deep sea fish in May?
- 19 Looking for suggestions for Mexico beach vacation
- 20 Lovin' Costa Rica with Kids
- 21 Cabo San Lucas - December end 2014
- 22 Belize Itinerary help!
- 23 Food allergy awareness in Cancun, mexico
- 24 Driving in "inner" mexico; is it safe?
- 25 Costa Rica Travel