There have been a number of enquiries regarding viewing turtles at Ostional; how to get there, best time, and where to stay. I was successful in viewing Arribadas on 3 of 7 nights, but found photographing the event, and getting to the right position both in time and place quite challenging, as the migration can occur at any point along a 4km section of beach and the start is also variable. Normally it starts at night when the sky is very dark and lasts till dawn, but one day the Arribada began unexpectedly in the late afternoon when very few spectators were present. Another factor to consider is the big Arribadas occur during the wet season when the roads are potholed, the road to Nosara flooded and the closest petrol 1.5 hours away in Santa Cruz. Still viewing an Arribada with 10,000 turtles on the beach is an amazing spectacle to behold and a must-do experience. To help with planning and expectations I have an illustrated article with maps and photos at http://www.artphototravel.net/sth-america/turtle-arribadas-ostional-costa-rica/
Turtle Arribadas at Ostional Costa Rica
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 2 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 3 Puerto Vallarta Favorites
- 4 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 5 White water rafting the Pacuare River April
- 6 April trip to Puerto Vallarta with two young children-- suggestions?
- 7 Mexico region question
- 8 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 9 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 10 Costa Rica best use of 9 full days with young kids!
- 11 Costa rica help
- 12 car rental companies
- 13 Roatan safety and other suggestions?
- 14 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 15 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 16 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 17 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 18 cozumel tennis
- 19 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR
- 20 Panama - Best Place for Outdoor Activities?
- 21 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 22 Baja California
- 23 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 24 All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico
- 25 Transportation from Osa to Arenal and hotel in SJ