My wife and I are used to travelling, and did pretty well after getting married. We always traveled on a shoestring staying in Hostels and providing our own wandering tours of cities by using guide books. We have been to Mexico (Oaxaca in '04) and in S. America, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Uruguay, but we haven't been to Central America. Now that we're older and since we've a kid, we haven't had the chance to get out of the country. Now that we're planning a new adventure, we're at a bit of a loss about how to go about it. We're planning on bringing the boy and hope to expose his little 3 year old mind to a bit more of the world. Obviously our style of travel is going to have to change. He doesn't yet have the endurance to keep up with my wife's walk all day and see/do everything we possibly can. He might do ok in museums as long as there aren't a whole lot of them. I worry a little about him getting sick. I doubt we would be happy with a resort style vacation, but that is what it might come down to. Right now, we're taking him on local weekend mini-trips to see how he would do, but we still rely on our car to get around. Something that might or might not be practical depending on where in Central America we end up going, I guess. We've only gone on buses and taxis on our trips, never bothering to rent a car. I'm only good for about half a day carrying him around on my shoulders. My wife definitely wants to practice her Spanish and maybe pick up some local art to share with the Spanish classes she teaches. I don't have very many needs, but I do enjoy technical museums or Engineering / Architecture attractions. I haven't found anything in C.A. that trips those interests other than the Panama Canal.
So, with that long winded introduction, does anyone have advice for us? I guess we're not your usual travelers, but I'm not sure what kind of travelers we are now. I think we need to plan conservative and, if things go well, build from there. We are planning 2 weeks in late May with not much luggage. We considering Guatamala, Costa Rica, or Panama currently, but we're not gaining much traction on planning the trip.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Travelling in C.A. with a toddler?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 2 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 3 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 4 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 5 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 6 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 7 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 8 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 9 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 10 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 11 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 12 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 13 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 14 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 15 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 16 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 17 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 18 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 19 Looking for Belize itinerary planning suggestions
- 20 Family Vacation, Caribbean Costa Rica and Panama
- 21 Hopefulist in Belize, 2014
- 22 International connectons through San Pedro Sula or Panama City
- 23 Looking for a resort similar to excellence playa Mujeres
- 24 Mi tocaya y yo en Panama
- 25 Driving adventure