My wife and I are used to travelling, and did pretty well after getting married. We always traveled on a shoestring staying in Hostels and providing our own wandering tours of cities by using guide books. We have been to Mexico (Oaxaca in '04) and in S. America, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Uruguay, but we haven't been to Central America. Now that we're older and since we've a kid, we haven't had the chance to get out of the country. Now that we're planning a new adventure, we're at a bit of a loss about how to go about it. We're planning on bringing the boy and hope to expose his little 3 year old mind to a bit more of the world. Obviously our style of travel is going to have to change. He doesn't yet have the endurance to keep up with my wife's walk all day and see/do everything we possibly can. He might do ok in museums as long as there aren't a whole lot of them. I worry a little about him getting sick. I doubt we would be happy with a resort style vacation, but that is what it might come down to. Right now, we're taking him on local weekend mini-trips to see how he would do, but we still rely on our car to get around. Something that might or might not be practical depending on where in Central America we end up going, I guess. We've only gone on buses and taxis on our trips, never bothering to rent a car. I'm only good for about half a day carrying him around on my shoulders. My wife definitely wants to practice her Spanish and maybe pick up some local art to share with the Spanish classes she teaches. I don't have very many needs, but I do enjoy technical museums or Engineering / Architecture attractions. I haven't found anything in C.A. that trips those interests other than the Panama Canal.
So, with that long winded introduction, does anyone have advice for us? I guess we're not your usual travelers, but I'm not sure what kind of travelers we are now. I think we need to plan conservative and, if things go well, build from there. We are planning 2 weeks in late May with not much luggage. We considering Guatamala, Costa Rica, or Panama currently, but we're not gaining much traction on planning the trip.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Traveling to Central America
- 2 NEED HELP WITH DAY OF THE DEAD AND BUTTERFLIES TRIP
- 3 Uncrowded Experience in Yucatan
- 4 Guatemala trip tribute Part II
- 5 30th wedding anniversary trip planning - Mexico
- 6 Getting around in Costa Rica
- 7 Two active couples looking for accommodations in Costa Rica
- 8 Costa Rica - Staying in Playa Hermosa??
- 9 Guanajuato
- 10 Costa Rica January
- 11 Need a 2 bedroom hotel room in Historical district
- 12 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 13 Shopping
- 14 Off the beaten path Playa Del Carmen
- 15 Yucatan travel guide recommendations
- 16 Driving in Belize
- 17 Mexico itinerary for 8-9 days
- 18 Guatemala trip tribute Part I
- 19 Roatan
- 20 Mexico City and...?
- 21 Nicaragua-avoid if you can
- 22 Isla Mujeres over Thanksgiving
- 23 First time to cabo helP??
- 24 driving colorado to costa rica
- 25 6 months - too much?