My wife and I are used to travelling, and did pretty well after getting married. We always traveled on a shoestring staying in Hostels and providing our own wandering tours of cities by using guide books. We have been to Mexico (Oaxaca in '04) and in S. America, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Uruguay, but we haven't been to Central America. Now that we're older and since we've a kid, we haven't had the chance to get out of the country. Now that we're planning a new adventure, we're at a bit of a loss about how to go about it. We're planning on bringing the boy and hope to expose his little 3 year old mind to a bit more of the world. Obviously our style of travel is going to have to change. He doesn't yet have the endurance to keep up with my wife's walk all day and see/do everything we possibly can. He might do ok in museums as long as there aren't a whole lot of them. I worry a little about him getting sick. I doubt we would be happy with a resort style vacation, but that is what it might come down to. Right now, we're taking him on local weekend mini-trips to see how he would do, but we still rely on our car to get around. Something that might or might not be practical depending on where in Central America we end up going, I guess. We've only gone on buses and taxis on our trips, never bothering to rent a car. I'm only good for about half a day carrying him around on my shoulders. My wife definitely wants to practice her Spanish and maybe pick up some local art to share with the Spanish classes she teaches. I don't have very many needs, but I do enjoy technical museums or Engineering / Architecture attractions. I haven't found anything in C.A. that trips those interests other than the Panama Canal.
So, with that long winded introduction, does anyone have advice for us? I guess we're not your usual travelers, but I'm not sure what kind of travelers we are now. I think we need to plan conservative and, if things go well, build from there. We are planning 2 weeks in late May with not much luggage. We considering Guatamala, Costa Rica, or Panama currently, but we're not gaining much traction on planning the trip.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 http://www.besthealthmarket.org/blackcore-edge-/
- 2 Ideas for month travel
- 3 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 4 Ideas for activities in Riviera Maya vicinity
- 5 Carnival 2017 in Panama City
- 6 Driving in Mexico
- 7 Cancun - low key beach suggestions
- 8 Moon Palace in Cancun
- 9 Best driving routes in Costa Rica
- 10 Driving in CR
- 11 Rental car - Lost driver's license! Help!
- 12 Sirena Station hike Drake Bay
- 13 unsafe?
- 14 Five Nights in Mexico City: A July Travel Fix
- 15 One week home-stay/ language school during hoilday
- 16 Help choosing Spanish course - Mexico / Guatemala?
- 17 Nicaragua-avoid if you can
- 18 Riviera Maya driving safety
- 19 Belize With Baby & Toddler
- 20 Terrible location for Ocean Maya Royale
- 21 Bosque Del Cabo/Corcovado
- 22 Another question re. Merida car hire - Unirent?
- 23 Non tourist beach in December
- 24 Sending things back home.
- 25 Back from Isla Mujeres