My wife and I are used to travelling, and did pretty well after getting married. We always traveled on a shoestring staying in Hostels and providing our own wandering tours of cities by using guide books. We have been to Mexico (Oaxaca in '04) and in S. America, Argentina, Chile, Peru and Uruguay, but we haven't been to Central America. Now that we're older and since we've a kid, we haven't had the chance to get out of the country. Now that we're planning a new adventure, we're at a bit of a loss about how to go about it. We're planning on bringing the boy and hope to expose his little 3 year old mind to a bit more of the world. Obviously our style of travel is going to have to change. He doesn't yet have the endurance to keep up with my wife's walk all day and see/do everything we possibly can. He might do ok in museums as long as there aren't a whole lot of them. I worry a little about him getting sick. I doubt we would be happy with a resort style vacation, but that is what it might come down to. Right now, we're taking him on local weekend mini-trips to see how he would do, but we still rely on our car to get around. Something that might or might not be practical depending on where in Central America we end up going, I guess. We've only gone on buses and taxis on our trips, never bothering to rent a car. I'm only good for about half a day carrying him around on my shoulders. My wife definitely wants to practice her Spanish and maybe pick up some local art to share with the Spanish classes she teaches. I don't have very many needs, but I do enjoy technical museums or Engineering / Architecture attractions. I haven't found anything in C.A. that trips those interests other than the Panama Canal.
So, with that long winded introduction, does anyone have advice for us? I guess we're not your usual travelers, but I'm not sure what kind of travelers we are now. I think we need to plan conservative and, if things go well, build from there. We are planning 2 weeks in late May with not much luggage. We considering Guatamala, Costa Rica, or Panama currently, but we're not gaining much traction on planning the trip.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Dr Simon Andrew Casey - Want to know about Mexican Culture ??
- 2 Cancun all inclusive
- 3 Family trip to Costa Rica in December.
- 4 Returning home
- 5 Advice Needed For a Trip to Belize
- 6 Suggested destinations, Yucatan Peninsula, Xmas/NYE.
- 7 Azul five, Grand Velas or Grand Palladium resorts??
- 8 Your favorite Mayan sites?
- 9 Destination similar to Puerto Vallarta
- 10 Expired Mexican Passport going to Mexico
- 11 Recommendations for family vacation in Puerto Vallarta or other ideas???
- 12 White hair in Valladolid....
- 13 Which beach location (w/ small kids)?
- 14 Roatan
- 15 One week in CR...stay in one area or divide time
- 16 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 17 Puerto Vallarta Easter Weekend 2017
- 18 Driving Time
- 19 Guanajuato
- 20 best new site in costa rica
- 21 Family of 13 travelling week of Christmas
- 22 Help with open jaw itinerary Oaxaca to beach
- 23 Costa Rica
- 24 Gran Caribe Resort
- 25 Some questions about Belize