In December 2009, myself, a dog and male friend will be packing up a camper van and starting the drive from Vancouver BC, Canada to Central America (I haven't put a final destination because who knows where we will end up in the amount of time we have! ) We are planning to stick to the coast, but other than that we are keeping our travel plans open. This will be the first time that either of us has done such an extensive road trip (Kris has drove from Vancouver to Mazatlan, Mexico last april but thats as far). Anyway, I was wondering if there has been any other travellers out there who has done a similiar trip either in a RV or a vehicle, that has any travel advice. I am especially interested in hearing stories about driving through the central American countries, as this is our main destination goal and may do some bee-lining to get there in time to enjoy it .
I have also been reading the travel advisories on the Canadian government website and have given myself quite a scare! I know that they do this to keep you aware, but I was also wanting to hear some stories from travellers in Central America on how safe they felt especially if they were RVing or travelling in a vehicle as we will want to stay most nights in our campervan . The countries we are paticulary interested in visiting are Guatemala, Belize, Honduras and Costa Rica. Thank-you for your advice and your time in replying to this forum!
Travel Tips and Safety Concerns For Van Travel Through Central America
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Cancun-discounts.com
- 2 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 3 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 4 Mexico City, Chiapas and Yucutan, too much??
- 5 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 6 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 7 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 8 Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort and Spa in Cabo San Lucas
- 9 Apartment Finders
- 10 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 11 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 12 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 13 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 14 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 15 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 16 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 17 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 18 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 19 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 20 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 21 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 22 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 23 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 24 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 25 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July