I am 24 years old and heading to Costa Rica for 6 weeks in April/May before starting my new job at home. My plan is to do a 4 week conservation volunteering programme and then spend 2 weeks exploring. I can't wait!
At the moment, I am torn between two programmes and I'm seeking advice from anyone who has spent time in Costa Rica:
- Option A is a 4 week programme based inside the Tortuguero National Park, its main focus is on turtle conservation however it will involve other bird and mammal surveys too.
- Option B is a 4 week programme based 17km outside Corcovado National Park, it will involve both turtle and mammal surveys however I gather that April/May is not turtle season there.
I've read that both national parks are very special and quite different from one another, does anyone who has spent time in both areas have any feedback as to which one would be a better place to do 4 weeks of conservation volunteering?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Any advice on a place to stay in Los Cabos for a family of 4
- 2 Food and health in Cancún.
- 3 Costa Rica--first time
- 4 Costa Rica 5 Days in Fall
- 5 Personal Tour Guide Needed - Museum of Anthropolgy
- 6 Will anyone be in Oaxaca, 9/21-10/10?
- 7 Guadalajara vs Mexico City in June, 5 nights
- 8 Travelogue: Mexico City (w/2 small kids)
- 9 Dangers of crossing Darien Gap
- 10 Azul Sensatori
- 11 DF + Where Else? 10-11 days
- 12 Land Border & Monterrey to Mexican Language School & Side Trips
- 13 Honeymoon itinerary help!
- 14 La Paloma reviews?
- 15 Westjet flights to Merida
- 16 Cancun beaches coated with thick seaweed
- 17 Safety for swimming in ocean
- 18 Costa Rica or Belize with kids in late August/early September?
- 19 Where to eat in Costa Rica
- 20 Adult only all inclusive
- 21 Help needed - Riviera Maya or Puerto Plata in Feb
- 22 Trip to Punta de Mita in January and need help with planning
- 23 Belize - Where to Go?
- 24 Savegre Hotel
- 25 Day pass at Arenal Observatory Lodge
TORTUGUERO OR CORCOVADO AREA FOR ONE MONTH VOLUNTEER TRIP IN APRIL/MAY