I've been reading these forums with great interest. I love all of the great advice and ideas.
My husband and I both backpacked in Europe and Asia when we were much younger (!!!) and are therefore fairly experienced in budget travel. We haven't had a holiday in a long time due to budget constraints and we are definitely looking for good 'bang for our buck' but also someplace safe to expose our children to.
We have three children, ages 16, 13 and 10. We live in Vancouver, BC and we have been researching Central America as a destination to take our kids for an approximately 3 week adventure of backpacking around. Currently, we've been eyeballing Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua or Costa Rica. We are thinking of March 2015.
Any advice or thoughts are welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 In Cancun right now..
- 2 Ritz Carlton Cancun for Romantic Getaway or Too Much of "Party Place?"
- 3 Driving there in Baja: safe or not?
- 4 Gluten Free Belize
- 5 La Fortuna or Manuel Antonio?
- 6 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 7 First time to Mexico - GTO and SMA General questions
- 8 Architecture - Old and New Mexico
- 9 Mexico or Nicaragua for Beach Loving Adventurers
- 10 Costa Rica vs. Mexico vs. Hawaii
- 11 Belize, Roatan or Cozumel: which is best snorkeling?
- 12 Places to stay in Belize
- 13 Chetumal to Caye Caulker- is it really worth it??
- 14 Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta trip
- 15 flights to san Jose, costa rica
- 16 Self-directed day trips from Riu Guanacaste?
- 17 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 18 Resort with nightlife for 40th bday
- 19 Where should we spend four nights in Maya Riviera?
- 20 Sun, Sand and the Yucatan
- 21 Trip report: Mexico City and San Miguel de Allende 4/15
- 22 Help choosing Spanish course - Mexico / Guatemala?
- 23 Should I Cancel My Trip to Guadalajara in 2 Weeks?
- 24 Honeymoon Planning - help wanted!
- 25 Best beach close to DF