I've been reading these forums with great interest. I love all of the great advice and ideas.
My husband and I both backpacked in Europe and Asia when we were much younger (!!!) and are therefore fairly experienced in budget travel. We haven't had a holiday in a long time due to budget constraints and we are definitely looking for good 'bang for our buck' but also someplace safe to expose our children to.
We have three children, ages 16, 13 and 10. We live in Vancouver, BC and we have been researching Central America as a destination to take our kids for an approximately 3 week adventure of backpacking around. Currently, we've been eyeballing Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua or Costa Rica. We are thinking of March 2015.
Any advice or thoughts are welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Spanish speaking city to spend August 2017?
- 2 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 3 Mexico in March - questions
- 4 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 5 Nicaragua - dividing time between Leon and Granada
- 6 Adventures in Portobelo, Panama
- 7 Private Fishing/Snorkeling boat in Playa del Carmen
- 8 Costa Rica With Kids-Recommendations Requested
- 9 travel in Yucatan
- 10 Driving through Mexico to Belize
- 11 Police Harassment in Cancun
- 12 Gay Places in San Pedro Belize
- 13 AI Child-Friendly Tulum Vicinity (30+ mi)
- 14 Which beach location (w/ small kids)?
- 15 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 16 What is the best place to visit in Costa Rica for 18 year olds?
- 17 Insect Repellent, Sunscreen in Belize?
- 18 Muyil Ruins and Sian Ka'an Biosphere, Meixco
- 19 Brunch / Lunch for 8 with fix price?
- 20 Another Yucatan trip report
- 21 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 22 Cabo San Lucas weather in November
- 23 Chichen Itza - Yucatan, Mexico
- 24 Hotels on Playa Los Muertos in PV
- 25 Excursions in Playa del Carmen