I have loved reading through all the various threads -- thanks everyone for your posts! My husband and I are planning our trip to Guatemala -- and here's what we've tentatively come up with:
May 7: Arrive in GUA at 1pm, travel to Antigua
May 8: Antigua
May 9: Antigua (day trip to one of the volcanoes)
May 10: Travel to Lake Atitlan (Panajachel)
May 11: Explore Lake Atitlan and surrounding villages
May 12: Make our way back towards Antiqua and Guatemala, and plan to take an overnight bus to Tikal
May 13: Arrive AM in Flores area, take a bus to Tikal and stay in the park at one of the 3 hotels; take nap and start exploring Tikal after 3pm
May 14: Tikal
May 15: Zip line outside of Tikal in morning; travel to Flores afternoon; stay in Flores
May 16: Early flight back to GUA from Flores (stay near airport at luv2globetrot's recommended hotel); take transportation back to Antigua, spend the day and night in Antigua:
May 17: Leave early in the morning for GUA Airport from Antigua, catch flight back home at 11:45am
How does this itinerary look? To save some $$ we thought we could do the return flight to GUA from Flores and take an overnight bus up there. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting from Lake Atitlan to Tikal? We are trying to figure out how to get from Lake Atitlan to the overnight bus to Tikal. I wonder if there is an overnight shuttle/bus to Tikal leaving from Panajachel?
Any advise would be great. Thank you so much!
Tentative Itinerary for Guatemala 10-Day Trip
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 2 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 3 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 4 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 5 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 6 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 7 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 8 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 9 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 10 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 11 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 12 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 13 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 14 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 15 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 16 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 17 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 18 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 19 Looking for Belize itinerary planning suggestions
- 20 Family Vacation, Caribbean Costa Rica and Panama
- 21 Hopefulist in Belize, 2014
- 22 International connectons through San Pedro Sula or Panama City
- 23 Looking for a resort similar to excellence playa Mujeres
- 24 Mi tocaya y yo en Panama
- 25 Driving adventure