I have loved reading through all the various threads -- thanks everyone for your posts! My husband and I are planning our trip to Guatemala -- and here's what we've tentatively come up with:
May 7: Arrive in GUA at 1pm, travel to Antigua
May 8: Antigua
May 9: Antigua (day trip to one of the volcanoes)
May 10: Travel to Lake Atitlan (Panajachel)
May 11: Explore Lake Atitlan and surrounding villages
May 12: Make our way back towards Antiqua and Guatemala, and plan to take an overnight bus to Tikal
May 13: Arrive AM in Flores area, take a bus to Tikal and stay in the park at one of the 3 hotels; take nap and start exploring Tikal after 3pm
May 14: Tikal
May 15: Zip line outside of Tikal in morning; travel to Flores afternoon; stay in Flores
May 16: Early flight back to GUA from Flores (stay near airport at luv2globetrot's recommended hotel); take transportation back to Antigua, spend the day and night in Antigua:
May 17: Leave early in the morning for GUA Airport from Antigua, catch flight back home at 11:45am
How does this itinerary look? To save some $$ we thought we could do the return flight to GUA from Flores and take an overnight bus up there. Does anyone have any recommendations for getting from Lake Atitlan to Tikal? We are trying to figure out how to get from Lake Atitlan to the overnight bus to Tikal. I wonder if there is an overnight shuttle/bus to Tikal leaving from Panajachel?
Any advise would be great. Thank you so much!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Transport From Tocumen to Panama City
- 2 Getting around in Costa Rica
- 3 Uncrowded Experience in Yucatan
- 4 NEED HELP WITH DAY OF THE DEAD AND BUTTERFLIES TRIP
- 5 Two active couples looking for accommodations in Costa Rica
- 6 Costa Rica - Staying in Playa Hermosa??
- 7 Guanajuato
- 8 Costa Rica January
- 9 Need a 2 bedroom hotel room in Historical district
- 10 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 11 Shopping
- 12 Off the beaten path Playa Del Carmen
- 13 Yucatan travel guide recommendations
- 14 Driving in Belize
- 15 30th wedding anniversary trip planning - Mexico
- 16 Mexico itinerary for 8-9 days
- 17 Guatemala trip tribute Part I
- 18 Guatemala trip tribute Part II
- 19 Roatan
- 20 Mexico City and...?
- 21 Nicaragua-avoid if you can
- 22 Isla Mujeres over Thanksgiving
- 23 First time to cabo helP??
- 24 driving colorado to costa rica
- 25 6 months - too much?