I'm considering studying abroad for several weeks in Quetzaltenango (Xela) Guatemala at a school called Sol Latina. I'm a little concerned about my safety as an African American female traveling alone, as friends and family have expressed concern and have informed me that tourist tend to be targeted for crime when leaving the Guatemala City airport and throughout Guatemala. Please give me any suggestions, safety precautions I should take and experiences you can share that may help me to make a decisions as to if I should take this trip or not. Also, if anyone is familiar with the Sol Latina Spanish School in Quetzaltenango, I love to hear your experiences with the school and host family as well.
Should I travel solo in Guatemala???
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Tamarindo CR = best for us?
- 2 Puerto Vallarta Favorites
- 3 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 4 Colorful large parrots in flocks
- 5 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 6 White water rafting the Pacuare River April
- 7 Exotic birds migrating locations
- 8 Looking for a quiet vacation spot on the Caribbean side of Mexico
- 9 Riu vs Westin?
- 10 Sim card and power
- 11 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 12 April trip to Puerto Vallarta with two young children-- suggestions?
- 13 Mexico region question
- 14 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 15 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 16 Costa Rica best use of 9 full days with young kids!
- 17 Costa rica help
- 18 car rental companies
- 19 Roatan safety and other suggestions?
- 20 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 21 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 22 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 23 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 24 cozumel tennis
- 25 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR