Hi, guys - I'm interested in adding a birding area onto our next trip to Arenal. I keep reading good things about the Sarapiqui area and the San Gerardo de Dota area. Of these two, which is your favorite if you absolutely had to pick one? What are your favorite hotels and activities in each area? It sounds like the Sarapiqui area is warmer and more tropical and San Gerardo de Dota is more of a cloud forest environment. Toucans at one and quetzals at the other? Can't wait to hear your recommendations. Are there any restaurants in these areas, or do you mostly eat at the lodge? How far are they from SJO and from Arenal? Thanks for any guidance you can give me.
Sarapiqui Area vs. San Gerardo de Dota?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 2 Mexico City, Chiapas and Yucutan, too much??
- 3 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 4 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 5 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 6 Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort and Spa in Cabo San Lucas
- 7 Apartment Finders
- 8 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 9 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 10 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 11 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 12 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 13 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 14 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 15 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 16 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 17 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 18 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 19 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 20 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 21 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 22 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 23 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 24 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 25 Looking for Belize itinerary planning suggestions