I don't see any posts about this topic, and I really actually hate to even start it, but I want to make sure I'm not the only one! My facebook feed is full of reports about tourists being drugged in Mexico (Cancun primarily); rumors of bars and hospitals working in cahoots to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists. Friends posting left and right that they will never go to Mexico again, etc.
Now - media coverage of crime in Cancun and Mexico in general is nothing new - we have gone many, many times over the years and never had a problem. We live in Texas, so Cancun is a really great ,easy, close vacation destination for us. We don't party it up, we stick with our hotel (we like the Marriott in Cancun and often use points there) and enjoy the beach / pool / activities there onsite for 3 nights or so. It's a quick trip for some sun and relaxation, not the adventurous trip we would take elsewhere, like Hawaii or Europe.
I don't live in fear, realize media has a purpose and that is to sensationalize isolated incidents to generate hysteria. Crime happens everywhere ,and there are details to every story that we may never know. If I banned any location that ever had a reported crime, we would never leave the house .
BUT. I want to make sure I'm not being naïve. We have a trip planned this fall with our school aged kids.
What are your thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 My thought go out towards Mexicans
- 2 playa del carmen what to do
- 3 1 month in Puerto Vallarta
- 4 Transportation from Airport to Panama City Hotel
- 5 Help with Itinerary for Dec. 2017
- 6 Airport Transfers from Los Cabos Airport
- 7 Must sees in Dominical and Uvita
- 8 Young Couple Looking for a Vacation Destination
- 9 Manuel Antonio to Osa
- 10 Panama Canal Excursions
- 11 Mexico City. Oct 13-16. Haunted tours + Halloweend / Day of the Dead
- 12 Costa Rica private driver recommendations?
- 13 Giving back to Mexio
- 14 2 months in Central America
- 15 Best time of year for Mexico City/Puebla?
- 16 Cabos to Todos Santos
- 17 Cabo to San Miguel de Allende
- 18 Belize planning help
- 19 12-day June CR trip with school-age kids
- 20 Excellent News!
- 21 Panama Canal transit - Panama to Costa Rica or reverse?
- 22 Mexico earthquake
- 23 1st visit to Costa Rica - Itinerary input appreciated!
- 24 Cabo
- 25 Best plan - suggestions