I don't see any posts about this topic, and I really actually hate to even start it, but I want to make sure I'm not the only one! My facebook feed is full of reports about tourists being drugged in Mexico (Cancun primarily); rumors of bars and hospitals working in cahoots to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists. Friends posting left and right that they will never go to Mexico again, etc.
Now - media coverage of crime in Cancun and Mexico in general is nothing new - we have gone many, many times over the years and never had a problem. We live in Texas, so Cancun is a really great ,easy, close vacation destination for us. We don't party it up, we stick with our hotel (we like the Marriott in Cancun and often use points there) and enjoy the beach / pool / activities there onsite for 3 nights or so. It's a quick trip for some sun and relaxation, not the adventurous trip we would take elsewhere, like Hawaii or Europe.
I don't live in fear, realize media has a purpose and that is to sensationalize isolated incidents to generate hysteria. Crime happens everywhere ,and there are details to every story that we may never know. If I banned any location that ever had a reported crime, we would never leave the house .
BUT. I want to make sure I'm not being naïve. We have a trip planned this fall with our school aged kids.
What are your thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 http://www.usadrugguide.com/true-testo/
- 2 Charles Bowden on The War Next Door
- 3 SANDAG Executive’s Performance Review May Never Happen for some reasons
- 4 Puerto Vallarta o Cabo for Christmas break
- 5 Costa Rica
- 6 12-day June CR trip with school-age kids
- 7 Which Tortuguero Lodge for 2 night visit in January?
- 8 1st visit to Costa Rica - Itinerary input appreciated!
- 9 Does Panama have anything Costa Rica doesn't? (Besides the canal)
- 10 Planning a trip to Panama
- 11 Los Suenos Itinerary
- 12 Driving from Mexico to Belize
- 13 Driving from Mexico to Belize and Guatemala
- 14 best air route san diego to san jose
- 15 Cabo San Lucas furniture stores
- 16 reliable car rental company??
- 17 Costa Rica - San Jose to Arenal Drive
- 18 driving from Tabacon to La Fortuna?
- 19 Trip Report: Guatemala in 6 days
- 20 One day in Cozumel - Chichen Itza?
- 21 How long from Cozumel to Ek Balam
- 22 Puerto Vallarta
- 23 Recent Headlines- Cancun
- 24 Panama or Costa Rica?
- 25 Costa Rica limited mobility issues...