I am travelling from Australia to the US in September this year, with two weeks in North America, and I am hoping to spend two weeks in Central America. I have been doing plenty of reading and researching, but have had great success on fodors.com in the past so am hopeful of some great ideas that I have missed.
My partner and I are aged 30 (ish), and are not 'party' people - nor do we want to spend our time at the beaches (we have some pretty hard to beat beaches over here!!). We are looking for an authentic experience, with some ruins and also some small towns/cities.
I have read about the Copper Canyon and think this sounds like a great trip, but we are doing the Grand Canyon in North America and not sure if it will feel like we are repeating a similar thing.
We don't speak Spanish, but are reasonably well travelled. I am undecided on whether this is something that we can tackle on our own or if it's more sensible to go on a tour. (we generally avoid tours wherever possible)
I would really appreciate if you could tell me how easy it is to get around Mexico, and if you think going to Guatamala is going to be worthwhile too. I had initially thought a couple of days in Mexico City, followed by a week of seeing various ruins, and perhaps the Copper Canyon.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Assist: Tec^h SUPP0RT YAHOO MAIL CONTACT 1:800:54O:683O YAHOO MAIL
- 2 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 3 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT AOL CONTACT 1:888:482:3831 AOL MAIL
- 4 Food poisoning?
- 5 Guanajuato or Oaxacca for 5-7days?
- 6 Family vacation
- 7 Best plan - suggestions
- 8 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 9 Spending USD in Mexico
- 10 Puerto Vallarta Nov 2015 edition
- 11 Merida Trip Report - Lots of Food
- 12 We're off to Costa Rica and never been there!
- 13 Guanacaste in October
- 14 Sad Sad Day for my favorite beach city
- 15 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 16 Good lunch spot
- 17 Recommendations on hotels with best beaches
- 18 Planning girls getaway trip to CR this summer and need help!
- 19 December Itinerary with 1 Year Old
- 20 Art School
- 21 Costa Rica EF Tours for Middle School
- 22 Month Stay In Oaxaca, Mexico
- 23 Is it crazy to go in August?
- 24 El Salvador plane change
- 25 Traveling with my 16 year old daughter to Mexico
Please help in planning the Latin American part of my tour