I am travelling from Australia to the US in September this year, with two weeks in North America, and I am hoping to spend two weeks in Central America. I have been doing plenty of reading and researching, but have had great success on fodors.com in the past so am hopeful of some great ideas that I have missed.
My partner and I are aged 30 (ish), and are not 'party' people - nor do we want to spend our time at the beaches (we have some pretty hard to beat beaches over here!!). We are looking for an authentic experience, with some ruins and also some small towns/cities.
I have read about the Copper Canyon and think this sounds like a great trip, but we are doing the Grand Canyon in North America and not sure if it will feel like we are repeating a similar thing.
We don't speak Spanish, but are reasonably well travelled. I am undecided on whether this is something that we can tackle on our own or if it's more sensible to go on a tour. (we generally avoid tours wherever possible)
I would really appreciate if you could tell me how easy it is to get around Mexico, and if you think going to Guatamala is going to be worthwhile too. I had initially thought a couple of days in Mexico City, followed by a week of seeing various ruins, and perhaps the Copper Canyon.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Hopefulist's 2013 Guatemala Travelogue
- 2 Our first trip to Mexico-It won't be our last!
- 3 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 4 Mexico in March - questions
- 5 Buying a property in Sayulita
- 6 Trip to Costa Rica - Pura Vida
- 7 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 8 Merida in March
- 9 Private Fishing/Snorkeling boat in Playa del Carmen
- 10 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 11 Spanish speaking city to spend August 2017?
- 12 Nicaragua - dividing time between Leon and Granada
- 13 Adventures in Portobelo, Panama
- 14 Costa Rica With Kids-Recommendations Requested
- 15 travel in Yucatan
- 16 Driving through Mexico to Belize
- 17 Police Harassment in Cancun
- 18 Gay Places in San Pedro Belize
- 19 AI Child-Friendly Tulum Vicinity (30+ mi)
- 20 Which beach location (w/ small kids)?
- 21 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 22 What is the best place to visit in Costa Rica for 18 year olds?
- 23 Insect Repellent, Sunscreen in Belize?
- 24 Muyil Ruins and Sian Ka'an Biosphere, Meixco
- 25 Brunch / Lunch for 8 with fix price?
Please help in planning the Latin American part of my tour