I am travelling from Australia to the US in September this year, with two weeks in North America, and I am hoping to spend two weeks in Central America. I have been doing plenty of reading and researching, but have had great success on fodors.com in the past so am hopeful of some great ideas that I have missed.
My partner and I are aged 30 (ish), and are not 'party' people - nor do we want to spend our time at the beaches (we have some pretty hard to beat beaches over here!!). We are looking for an authentic experience, with some ruins and also some small towns/cities.
I have read about the Copper Canyon and think this sounds like a great trip, but we are doing the Grand Canyon in North America and not sure if it will feel like we are repeating a similar thing.
We don't speak Spanish, but are reasonably well travelled. I am undecided on whether this is something that we can tackle on our own or if it's more sensible to go on a tour. (we generally avoid tours wherever possible)
I would really appreciate if you could tell me how easy it is to get around Mexico, and if you think going to Guatamala is going to be worthwhile too. I had initially thought a couple of days in Mexico City, followed by a week of seeing various ruins, and perhaps the Copper Canyon.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Solo touring in Panama City
- 2 Traveling with a baby to Mexico
- 3 Trip to Merida - Very Long and Lots of Info on Restaurants
- 4 Mexico City and...?
- 5 Driving in CR
- 6 Getting to Laguna San Ignacio from Wisconsin
- 7 Day trip from Merida - seeking recommendations
- 8 Recommendations for a Mexico City hotel needed
- 9 Advice for 2 days in Mexico City
- 10 Tamarindo Sept
- 11 Actual beachfront hotels in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca???
- 12 Trip help -is MA necessary if I'm going to Osa?
- 13 Quepos and Manuel Antonio
- 14 4 hour tour in San Jose, Costa Rica
- 15 Need help for trip to Costa Rica in December
- 16 Nicest All inclusive for young children
- 17 Visit to Panama - all inclusive r&r combined with adventure ..
- 18 Renting Car in Mexico
- 19 Cancun All inclusive
- 20 Cancun Transfer Timing
- 21 Belize in mid September
- 22 Mexico City Airport hotel transportation question
- 23 Budget Belize
- 24 3 weeks in PV next summer with kids
- 25 Costa Rica Itinerary Help
Please help in planning the Latin American part of my tour