I am travelling from Australia to the US in September this year, with two weeks in North America, and I am hoping to spend two weeks in Central America. I have been doing plenty of reading and researching, but have had great success on fodors.com in the past so am hopeful of some great ideas that I have missed.
My partner and I are aged 30 (ish), and are not 'party' people - nor do we want to spend our time at the beaches (we have some pretty hard to beat beaches over here!!). We are looking for an authentic experience, with some ruins and also some small towns/cities.
I have read about the Copper Canyon and think this sounds like a great trip, but we are doing the Grand Canyon in North America and not sure if it will feel like we are repeating a similar thing.
We don't speak Spanish, but are reasonably well travelled. I am undecided on whether this is something that we can tackle on our own or if it's more sensible to go on a tour. (we generally avoid tours wherever possible)
I would really appreciate if you could tell me how easy it is to get around Mexico, and if you think going to Guatamala is going to be worthwhile too. I had initially thought a couple of days in Mexico City, followed by a week of seeing various ruins, and perhaps the Copper Canyon.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Please help in planning the Latin American part of my tour
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Belize in June?
- 2 43 Missing Students in Mexico
- 3 Tulemar bungalows vs Arenas del Mar
- 4 Mexico City
- 5 How to climb volcanoes at night
- 6 Two Young Women Traveling Alone in Mexico
- 7 Bus service from San Jose´ del Cabo to Totos Santos
- 8 Hopefulist in Guatemala 2014 (#3)
- 9 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 10 Questions re. Bosque del Cabo Cabinas
- 11 Cancun car rental/emd3 plus others help!
- 12 Monteverde Accomodations
- 13 Oaxaca in November
- 14 Costa Rica Intinerary help--Arenal and Guanacaste
- 15 DD and I recently returned from five wonderful fun filled days in PV
- 16 OAXACA markets….question or two..guide?
- 17 Timeshare Presentation For Deep Discount On A Resort Worth It???
- 18 Costa Rica with a 8 year old boy?
- 19 Looking for Bias Bajas Restaurant/Costa Rica
- 20 Dominical Costa Rica
- 21 some suggestions on Nica itinerary? and some guidance on bus schedules?
- 22 Anyone use Economy Car Rental in Costa Rica?
- 23 Best places to see in Mexico for 5 day Thanksgiving trip?
- 24 getting from point A to B to C in Costa Rica
- 25 Lovin' Costa Rica with Kids