I am travelling from Australia to the US in September this year, with two weeks in North America, and I am hoping to spend two weeks in Central America. I have been doing plenty of reading and researching, but have had great success on fodors.com in the past so am hopeful of some great ideas that I have missed.
My partner and I are aged 30 (ish), and are not 'party' people - nor do we want to spend our time at the beaches (we have some pretty hard to beat beaches over here!!). We are looking for an authentic experience, with some ruins and also some small towns/cities.
I have read about the Copper Canyon and think this sounds like a great trip, but we are doing the Grand Canyon in North America and not sure if it will feel like we are repeating a similar thing.
We don't speak Spanish, but are reasonably well travelled. I am undecided on whether this is something that we can tackle on our own or if it's more sensible to go on a tour. (we generally avoid tours wherever possible)
I would really appreciate if you could tell me how easy it is to get around Mexico, and if you think going to Guatamala is going to be worthwhile too. I had initially thought a couple of days in Mexico City, followed by a week of seeing various ruins, and perhaps the Copper Canyon.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Cancun tour guides/naturalisits
- 2 Western Caribbean Cruise Question
- 3 Safety situation in Oaxaca City?
- 4 New Year's Eve at Chichen Itza
- 5 Caravan Tour to Panama
- 6 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 7 driving down through mexico
- 8 Things to do in Cabo
- 9 Mayan Palace Timeshare Fraud
- 10 HELP! St.Croix or Cancun
- 11 Returning to Puerto Vallarta
- 12 Two weeks in Panama, a new adventure...
- 13 Planning a trip to Panama
- 14 Merida - any recommendations for a good hotel
- 15 Riviera Maya vs Cancun for boogie boarding
- 16 Driving in Mexico
- 17 Ideas for our 2 weeks in Mexico over the Festive Season?
- 18 Costa Rica Newbie Xmas Week
- 19 unsafe?
- 20 Off the beaten path Playa Del Carmen
- 21 Getting around in Costa Rica
- 22 Costa Rica Itinerary Advice Please!
- 23 Valle de Guadalupe, Baja California
- 24 Driving in Costa Rica
- 25 Playa Mujeres
Please help in planning the Latin American part of my tour