I am travelling from Australia to the US in September this year, with two weeks in North America, and I am hoping to spend two weeks in Central America. I have been doing plenty of reading and researching, but have had great success on fodors.com in the past so am hopeful of some great ideas that I have missed.
My partner and I are aged 30 (ish), and are not 'party' people - nor do we want to spend our time at the beaches (we have some pretty hard to beat beaches over here!!). We are looking for an authentic experience, with some ruins and also some small towns/cities.
I have read about the Copper Canyon and think this sounds like a great trip, but we are doing the Grand Canyon in North America and not sure if it will feel like we are repeating a similar thing.
We don't speak Spanish, but are reasonably well travelled. I am undecided on whether this is something that we can tackle on our own or if it's more sensible to go on a tour. (we generally avoid tours wherever possible)
I would really appreciate if you could tell me how easy it is to get around Mexico, and if you think going to Guatamala is going to be worthwhile too. I had initially thought a couple of days in Mexico City, followed by a week of seeing various ruins, and perhaps the Copper Canyon.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Please help in planning the Latin American part of my tour
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Looking for month rental in MA area or up the coast as far as Jaco.
- 2 Cheap Hotels in Mexico City?
- 3 Tamarindo CR = best for us?
- 4 Puerto Vallarta Dreaming
- 5 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 6 Another trip to Mayan Riviera, a mystical experience this time!
- 7 Mexico City! Nice Hotel Within Walking Distance Of Chapultepec Park
- 8 Puerto Vallarta Favorites
- 9 America's Cup Regatta
- 10 TORTUGUERO OR CORCOVADO AREA FOR ONE MONTH VOLUNTEER TRIP IN APRIL/MAY
- 11 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 12 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 13 Costa Rica best use of 9 full days with young kids!
- 14 Cabo airport transfers
- 15 Looking for a quiet vacation spot on the Caribbean side of Mexico
- 16 Aventura Spa or Moon Palace? And what are the best rooms in each??
- 17 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 18 Colorful large parrots in flocks
- 19 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 20 White water rafting the Pacuare River April
- 21 Exotic birds migrating locations
- 22 Riu vs Westin?
- 23 Sim card and power
- 24 April trip to Puerto Vallarta with two young children-- suggestions?
- 25 Mexico region question