I am travelling from Australia to the US in September this year, with two weeks in North America, and I am hoping to spend two weeks in Central America. I have been doing plenty of reading and researching, but have had great success on fodors.com in the past so am hopeful of some great ideas that I have missed.
My partner and I are aged 30 (ish), and are not 'party' people - nor do we want to spend our time at the beaches (we have some pretty hard to beat beaches over here!!). We are looking for an authentic experience, with some ruins and also some small towns/cities.
I have read about the Copper Canyon and think this sounds like a great trip, but we are doing the Grand Canyon in North America and not sure if it will feel like we are repeating a similar thing.
We don't speak Spanish, but are reasonably well travelled. I am undecided on whether this is something that we can tackle on our own or if it's more sensible to go on a tour. (we generally avoid tours wherever possible)
I would really appreciate if you could tell me how easy it is to get around Mexico, and if you think going to Guatamala is going to be worthwhile too. I had initially thought a couple of days in Mexico City, followed by a week of seeing various ruins, and perhaps the Copper Canyon.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Please help in planning the Latin American part of my tour
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 10 days backpacking in Costa Rica
- 2 Food at Leon airport?
- 3 Food at Leon airport?
- 4 Help choosing Spanish course - Mexico / Guatemala?
- 5 Embera Village
- 6 condos within walking distance of marina/downtown cabo???
- 7 Bosque del Cabo question-is Phillip good with kids?
- 8 Arco Iris or Fonda vela - Monteverde accommodation
- 9 Belize Honeymoon-What not to miss!
- 10 Costa Rica & Panama
- 11 Tips re Puerto Vallarta
- 12 La Casa Que Canta versus Capella Ixtapa
- 13 Tela and La Ceiba
- 14 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 15 March/April weather
- 16 luxury hotels in Panama City with great location
- 17 Help! Belize or Costa Rica
- 18 Belize vs. Costa Rica
- 19 One Week in Southern Belize
- 20 Costa Rica Vacation with child.
- 21 Just added three nights to Costa Rica Vacation - Leaving this Friday!
- 22 Last minute Cancun trip must do's?
- 23 Costa Rica four nights
- 24 One Day San Jose
- 25 Visiting Machu Picchu, Cusco for 7 days.