Hi all --
Okay, first off, I know I STILL haven't completed my trip report for our Costa Rica trip at the end of May. I've been a bad forum member! I'm sorry, and I will *try* to finish it eventually, but I can't make any promises...
So, for our next trip -- probably next March -- we're thinking we want an easy beachy vacation, with turquoise water, white sand, etc. The whole bit. To be honest, we've yet to do this kind of trip really, and I think we're deserving. I'm starting grad school in the fall, in addition to working f/t, so I'm sure by next March I will just want to go somewhere and chill out.
Now, neither one of us are total beach bums. It's really more about the water for us, playing and floating around. We tend to like to go to the beach for a few hours in the morning and then that's basically it for the beach for the rest of the day. But, if we were staying ON the beach, I'm thinking we might make more use of it? Maybe go back in the afternoon.
I'm looking strongly at Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres. I just can't decide, and each day I flip from one to the other. I know there are at least three other threads on here weighing the differences between Playa and IM, but I thought I'd try to get some more recent responses.
What I like about both of them are: 1. they are no more than an hour from the Cancun airport, give or take; 2. they both have seemingly beautiful water to play in; and 3. they both allow you to stay ON the beach yet be close enough to walk to a town with restaurants, wondering, etc.
I'm probably leaning more toward Playa simply because it seems a bit easier to get to, and I'm liking the hotel choices better (I think I've narrowed it down to Playa Maya, Mahekal, or Mimi del Mar -- among a couple of other options).
Isla is appealing because it's obviously less built up and busy -- and Playa Norte seems to win the battle of the beaches hands down. I'm just having a more difficult time finding a hotel that is clicking for us. I think we'd want to be on Playa Norte proper.
Anyway, if anyone has any recent experiences with either, I'd love to hear.
I've also looked at Puerto Morelos and Akumal, but I don't think either is clicking with me. Tulum looks nice, but we couldn't stay on the beach and walk to town, I don't think.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 http://www.kesamuroa.com/vtrex-male-enhancement/
- 2 Your favorite Mayan sites?
- 3 17 & 18 year olds Spring Break?
- 4 Where to stay in Ambergis Caye?
- 5 Is it REALLY worth Including San Cristobal in my Yucatan Itinerary
- 6 Recent Headlines- Cancun
- 7 Puerto Vallarta o Cabo for Christmas break
- 8 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 9 Sayulita in September
- 10 Garza Blanca Preserve -Puerto Vallarta
- 11 Is it safe to travel to Cabo San Lucas
- 12 Looking for tips (hotels/border crossing/pets) driving Denver to Costa Rica
- 13 Renting Car in Mexico
- 14 Car Rental in Cancun
- 15 Costa Rica
- 16 12-day June CR trip with school-age kids
- 17 1st visit to Costa Rica - Itinerary input appreciated!
- 18 reliable car rental company??
- 19 Must sees in Dominical and Uvita
- 20 Which Tortuguero Lodge for 2 night visit in January?
- 21 Does Panama have anything Costa Rica doesn't? (Besides the canal)
- 22 Planning a trip to Panama
- 23 Los Suenos Itinerary
- 24 Driving from Mexico to Belize
- 25 Driving from Mexico to Belize and Guatemala
Hi all --