Hi, all -
As most of your know, I travel to Latin America every summer to study Spanish and my favorite town south of the border is San Pedro La Laguna on Lake Atitlán in the mountains of Guatemala; I have some very dear friends there, locals who run a Spanish school and invest heavily in the community. Kids there get free education through 6th grade but can only attend the equivalent of middle school and high school if they pay,which most of the locals can't do. My husband and I looked into the cost (about $36/month for the first 3 years and $60/month for the next 3 years) and decided to sponsor a student a year at a time, continuing through high school and possibly beyond if they continue to be successful.
I asked my friends in San Pedro to help find a bright, hard working, deserving student without the resources to continue in school without sponsorship. They were ecstatic to be asked and took the job very seriously, interviewing families and requesting school records and recommendations. They picked 4 finalists, interviewed them, and sent us the photos, interview notes, and school records and asked us to choose.
These are wonderfulo, deserving kids but Mike and I can only commit to sponsoring one at this time. It' s heart breaking to see photos and school records of students whose lives would be changed with the offer of continued schooling and say no to any of them. I know there are other individuals, families, or groups out there who would be interested if we can get the word out. If you - or someone you know - is willing to consider a long term commitment to educate a deserving student, please let me know. I have photos and information I can email anyone who has an interest. Happy trails!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Bosque Del Cabo one week or split with Iguana Lodge
- 2 Belize - need help with planning our 10 days
- 3 Best resort for our situation?
- 4 Transportation to hotel from airport
- 5 Tour/Excursion operators Arenal & Manuel Antonio
- 6 Manuel Antonio - Private Villa or Tulemar?
- 7 Sarah's Cozy Casita's/Playa Coronado
- 8 Belize-how many days for beach and jungle
- 9 Best bus service from Queretero to San Miguel d"Alende
- 10 Two weeks in Panama, a new adventure...
- 11 ADO or other bus booking questions
- 12 Sunday bus schedule hours
- 13 Need help w/mother/daughter 3 day side excursion
- 14 Visit to Xela, Antigua, Atitlan
- 15 Glover's ongoing report on Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua
- 16 Iberostar Club Membership Sales Pitch
- 17 Help with excursions from Black Rock Lodge
- 18 STAY AWAY FROM AMERICA CAR RENTAL!!
- 19 Belize, Rotaan, Cozumel - WHAT TO DO?? HELP!!
- 20 Entertaining young children in Tulum/Akumal
- 21 Wanna be Expats!!! Can we move to Mexico sooner? Work? Elsewhere?
- 22 A WHALE Of A TALE
- 23 Panama made us Panamaniacs, Trip Report Dec/Jan 2015-16
- 24 Fonda Vela
- 25 mexico vs dominican republic vacation
Hi, all -