Hi, all -
As most of your know, I travel to Latin America every summer to study Spanish and my favorite town south of the border is San Pedro La Laguna on Lake Atitlán in the mountains of Guatemala; I have some very dear friends there, locals who run a Spanish school and invest heavily in the community. Kids there get free education through 6th grade but can only attend the equivalent of middle school and high school if they pay,which most of the locals can't do. My husband and I looked into the cost (about $36/month for the first 3 years and $60/month for the next 3 years) and decided to sponsor a student a year at a time, continuing through high school and possibly beyond if they continue to be successful.
I asked my friends in San Pedro to help find a bright, hard working, deserving student without the resources to continue in school without sponsorship. They were ecstatic to be asked and took the job very seriously, interviewing families and requesting school records and recommendations. They picked 4 finalists, interviewed them, and sent us the photos, interview notes, and school records and asked us to choose.
These are wonderfulo, deserving kids but Mike and I can only commit to sponsoring one at this time. It' s heart breaking to see photos and school records of students whose lives would be changed with the offer of continued schooling and say no to any of them. I know there are other individuals, families, or groups out there who would be interested if we can get the word out. If you - or someone you know - is willing to consider a long term commitment to educate a deserving student, please let me know. I have photos and information I can email anyone who has an interest. Happy trails!
Opportunity to give the gift of education
Hi, all -
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Awesome Tour Guide in San Salvador!
- 2 Tour company to help plan trip to El Salvador and Nicaragua
- 3 6-7 hour layover w/family in San Salvador
- 4 Panama - where in Boca del Tores
- 5 Recommendation for December trip - from Guadalajara
- 6 Mexico Trip
- 7 Osa Hotel Questions
- 8 Punta Mita St. Regis
- 9 Directly book Manuel Antonio Expeditions? Or just deal with hotel?
- 10 Cabo San Lucas
- 11 Bus options between San Jose and Bocas del Torro
- 12 Costa Rica for 9 days in Dec
- 13 Ccost of a transfer from Panama PTY airport to Riu Playa Blanca Hotel?
- 14 Bringing clothes and fabric to Puerto vallarta
- 15 Trip ideas needed please
- 16 Mexico City, DF Restaurant
- 17 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 18 tours to gatun locks panama
- 19 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 20 Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for boogie boarding and hotel recs
- 21 Hopefulist in Guatemala (again) 2014
- 22 Belize vs. Costa Rica
- 23 our detailed report from manuel antonio
- 24 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 25 Mex City Restaurant