Hi, all -
As most of your know, I travel to Latin America every summer to study Spanish and my favorite town south of the border is San Pedro La Laguna on Lake Atitlán in the mountains of Guatemala; I have some very dear friends there, locals who run a Spanish school and invest heavily in the community. Kids there get free education through 6th grade but can only attend the equivalent of middle school and high school if they pay,which most of the locals can't do. My husband and I looked into the cost (about $36/month for the first 3 years and $60/month for the next 3 years) and decided to sponsor a student a year at a time, continuing through high school and possibly beyond if they continue to be successful.
I asked my friends in San Pedro to help find a bright, hard working, deserving student without the resources to continue in school without sponsorship. They were ecstatic to be asked and took the job very seriously, interviewing families and requesting school records and recommendations. They picked 4 finalists, interviewed them, and sent us the photos, interview notes, and school records and asked us to choose.
These are wonderfulo, deserving kids but Mike and I can only commit to sponsoring one at this time. It' s heart breaking to see photos and school records of students whose lives would be changed with the offer of continued schooling and say no to any of them. I know there are other individuals, families, or groups out there who would be interested if we can get the word out. If you - or someone you know - is willing to consider a long term commitment to educate a deserving student, please let me know. I have photos and information I can email anyone who has an interest. Happy trails!
Opportunity to give the gift of education
Hi, all -
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Should we cancel our vacation to Mexico in December?
- 2 Costa Rica with a 8 year old boy?
- 3 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 4 Bus service from San Jose´ del Cabo to Totos Santos
- 5 Cruise with a 10 month old to Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico,and key west.
- 6 Maya Riviera to Belize or Costa Rica or Panama?
- 7 Flores to Chetumal by road without crossing through Belize
- 8 Central America travel over New Year's
- 9 Mexico City
- 10 Costa Rica after 15 years update me on driving
- 11 Lodging in Costa Rica in January
- 12 Thoughts on Cayo District tours/accommodation options
- 13 Place to have a wedding in May near Cancun
- 14 43 Missing Students in Mexico
- 15 Costa Rica help
- 16 Cancun car rental/emd3 plus others help!
- 17 1 week in Panama - how does this sound?
- 18 7-8 Days in Panama. Suggested Itinerary?
- 19 Hopefulist in Guatemala 2014 (#3)
- 20 Costa Rica will include airport tax in ticket price
- 21 Belize in June?
- 22 BEWARE: Alamo Car Rental in San Jose STAY AWAY
- 23 Mexico City and the butterfly migration....anyone been?
- 24 Tulemar bungalows vs Arenas del Mar
- 25 How to climb volcanoes at night