Hi, all -
As most of your know, I travel to Latin America every summer to study Spanish and my favorite town south of the border is San Pedro La Laguna on Lake Atitlán in the mountains of Guatemala; I have some very dear friends there, locals who run a Spanish school and invest heavily in the community. Kids there get free education through 6th grade but can only attend the equivalent of middle school and high school if they pay,which most of the locals can't do. My husband and I looked into the cost (about $36/month for the first 3 years and $60/month for the next 3 years) and decided to sponsor a student a year at a time, continuing through high school and possibly beyond if they continue to be successful.
I asked my friends in San Pedro to help find a bright, hard working, deserving student without the resources to continue in school without sponsorship. They were ecstatic to be asked and took the job very seriously, interviewing families and requesting school records and recommendations. They picked 4 finalists, interviewed them, and sent us the photos, interview notes, and school records and asked us to choose.
These are wonderfulo, deserving kids but Mike and I can only commit to sponsoring one at this time. It' s heart breaking to see photos and school records of students whose lives would be changed with the offer of continued schooling and say no to any of them. I know there are other individuals, families, or groups out there who would be interested if we can get the word out. If you - or someone you know - is willing to consider a long term commitment to educate a deserving student, please let me know. I have photos and information I can email anyone who has an interest. Happy trails!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Finally made it!
- 2 Going to Ixtapa & Zihue mid July
- 3 Car rental in Cancun
- 4 Help plan my 6 days in Costa Rica
- 5 Costa Rica accomodation suggestions for Christmas week
- 6 When to go & what to bring to Costa Rica
- 7 Hotel options in Manuel Antonio
- 8 DF + Where Else? 10-11 days
- 9 Driving there in Baja: safe or not?
- 10 Report on Morelia & Patzcuaro, I am so in Love
- 11 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 12 Advice desired for a family trip to costa rica
- 13 Stay in Cancun or head to Europe?
- 14 Mirado El Torre Resturant San Isidro De El General CR, BEWARE!
- 15 Guanacaste & Puntarenas
- 16 First Vacation!
- 17 What's the best hotel in the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica?
- 18 Looking for a really unique day trip in Costa Rica
- 19 Beware of timeshare Casa Dorada
- 20 Itinerary help
- 21 First time to Mexico - GTO and SMA General questions
- 22 Cell Phone Internet While in Mexico?
- 23 Honeymoon Planning - help wanted!
- 24 Belize -- Lamanai and X'Tan Ha
- 25 Belize-first timer ?s for Cayes & Cayo w/ Guatemala
Hi, all -