We've had awesome luck getting quality advice on this board on previous trips and decided to give it another shot! We live in Chicago and are looking for a week-long get-away that won't be too taxing travel-wise (from a time in air or jet-lag standpoint) or budget-wise ($2k or so). As far as Central/South America goes, we''ve been all over Mexico and to Costa Rica and Peru (providing that as context).
We've heard good things about Hondouras and Nicaragua but are still trying to sort things out.
Beaches (but we want more to do than just lay around)
Snorkeling (no scuba)
Hiking (after the Inca Trail I think it'll be a few years before my wife is game for anything more than day-trip hikes)
GOOD FOOD (we're spoiled in Chicago)
Good bars (but we're not into clubbing and don't need too robust of a night life)
Mountains (me more than my wife)
Reasonably nice hotels (don't have to be super-fancy)
Let's see here... Anything else? Oh, we don't speak any Spanish.
I know I'm being pretty vague here, but any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 from arenal to la Poaz waterfall to san jose in a day?
- 2 Where to Spend 10 Days in June/July! Central v. South America
- 3 Rain in Rivera Maya How bad is the weather in June.
- 4 Playa del Carmen hotels
- 5 Bosque Del Cabo one week or split with Iguana Lodge
- 6 Arenal area: Los Logos or Arenal Springs?
- 7 Uvita or Puerto Viejo
- 8 Mérida, Yucatán and Cancún, Quintana Roo
- 9 How much should I worry about Zika!?
- 10 help from a Panamanian
- 11 What to do in Costa Rica when it rains?
- 12 Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?
- 13 After Bosque del Cabo, where next?
- 14 Puerto Jiminez Costa Rica in July
- 15 Costa Rica car rental insurance nightmare
- 16 Costa Rica Itinerary - Help
- 17 Travel Logistics / Safety
- 18 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 19 1st trip w/new boyfriend cancun or near by.
- 20 ADO or other bus booking questions
- 21 Music Video
- 22 July Adventure
- 23 exchanging US dollars for Mexican pesos
- 24 Guatemala trip in August?
- 25 Colonial Mexico for 1 Week - Help?