Hi Mexico experts...
Besides Cancun a lifetime ago, I've never been to Mexico.
A friend and his wife recently built a retirement home in Oaxaca and have invited us to come vacation there. They are only there October-April. I don't want to say "we are thinking of coming" unless I'm pretty certain we will go and so I'm doing my research.
I've read a bit, and it looks like an interesting way to spend spring break with my daughter. She is studying Spanish and is interested in languages as well as crafts, markets, local color, archeological sites.
I like art and crafts as well and would love to learn a few Spanish phrases.
My idea was to do a language school a couple hours a day and hang out in the city and environs - nothing too taxing. Possibly get a trip to the beach for the weekend although that may be ambitious - we probably only have about 8 days.
My friend and his wife are lovely and she is a local with family aplenty.
What do you think?? Any firsthand experiences? Language programs? Restaurants? Culture you enjoyed.
(Weighing this against a week in Europe with visit to our good friends in Zürich.)
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Panama Canal Excursions
- 2 Cenotes of Homún, south of Mérida
- 3 Belize good place to live for expats?
- 4 My thought go out towards Mexicans
- 5 playa del carmen what to do
- 6 1 month in Puerto Vallarta
- 7 Transportation from Airport to Panama City Hotel
- 8 Help with Itinerary for Dec. 2017
- 9 Airport Transfers from Los Cabos Airport
- 10 Must sees in Dominical and Uvita
- 11 Young Couple Looking for a Vacation Destination
- 12 Manuel Antonio to Osa
- 13 Mexico City. Oct 13-16. Haunted tours + Halloweend / Day of the Dead
- 14 Costa Rica private driver recommendations?
- 15 Giving back to Mexio
- 16 2 months in Central America
- 17 Best time of year for Mexico City/Puebla?
- 18 Cabos to Todos Santos
- 19 Cabo to San Miguel de Allende
- 20 Belize planning help
- 21 12-day June CR trip with school-age kids
- 22 Excellent News!
- 23 Panama Canal transit - Panama to Costa Rica or reverse?
- 24 Mexico earthquake
- 25 1st visit to Costa Rica - Itinerary input appreciated!
Oaxaca in March with my 17-year-old? Opinions/ideas sought.
Hi Mexico experts...