Hi Mexico experts...
Besides Cancun a lifetime ago, I've never been to Mexico.
A friend and his wife recently built a retirement home in Oaxaca and have invited us to come vacation there. They are only there October-April. I don't want to say "we are thinking of coming" unless I'm pretty certain we will go and so I'm doing my research.
I've read a bit, and it looks like an interesting way to spend spring break with my daughter. She is studying Spanish and is interested in languages as well as crafts, markets, local color, archeological sites.
I like art and crafts as well and would love to learn a few Spanish phrases.
My idea was to do a language school a couple hours a day and hang out in the city and environs - nothing too taxing. Possibly get a trip to the beach for the weekend although that may be ambitious - we probably only have about 8 days.
My friend and his wife are lovely and she is a local with family aplenty.
What do you think?? Any firsthand experiences? Language programs? Restaurants? Culture you enjoyed.
(Weighing this against a week in Europe with visit to our good friends in Zürich.)
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Long ride to Nayara. Are there good options along the way?
- 2 Mexico with 6 yr. olds: want beach and history- Suggestions?
- 3 Granada vs San Juan, all you need to know
- 4 Rental Car in Mexico
- 5 Best Hotels for Birding in Costa Rica or Belize?
- 6 Five nights Ambergris Caye - Itinerary help
- 7 Packing for Ambergris Caye
- 8 Costa Rica--first time
- 9 Cabo San Lucas timeshare presentations
- 10 caravan tour of costa rica
- 11 Blue Hole
- 12 Car rental in Cancun
- 13 Proposal
- 14 Timeshare Presentation For Deep Discount On A Resort Worth It???
- 15 driving from laredo to the pacific side
- 16 Itinerary help for 7 days out of Cancun to beaches and Ruins!
- 17 Villa, hotel recommendations for 3 families, 6 kids in Costa Rica
- 18 Gran Hotel de Querataro
- 19 Seaweed
- 20 Honeymoon itinerary help!
- 21 Some suggestions for Mayan Riveria
- 22 Savegre Hotel
- 23 The russians are coming to Nicaragua
- 24 Guanacaste & Puntarenas
- 25 Tours starting and ending in Liberia, Costa Rica?
Oaxaca in March with my 17-year-old? Opinions/ideas sought.
Hi Mexico experts...