Hi Mexico experts...
Besides Cancun a lifetime ago, I've never been to Mexico.
A friend and his wife recently built a retirement home in Oaxaca and have invited us to come vacation there. They are only there October-April. I don't want to say "we are thinking of coming" unless I'm pretty certain we will go and so I'm doing my research.
I've read a bit, and it looks like an interesting way to spend spring break with my daughter. She is studying Spanish and is interested in languages as well as crafts, markets, local color, archeological sites.
I like art and crafts as well and would love to learn a few Spanish phrases.
My idea was to do a language school a couple hours a day and hang out in the city and environs - nothing too taxing. Possibly get a trip to the beach for the weekend although that may be ambitious - we probably only have about 8 days.
My friend and his wife are lovely and she is a local with family aplenty.
What do you think?? Any firsthand experiences? Language programs? Restaurants? Culture you enjoyed.
(Weighing this against a week in Europe with visit to our good friends in Zürich.)
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Life Changing Weight Loss
- 2 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 3 driving down through mexico
- 4 New Year's Eve at Chichen Itza
- 5 Things to do in Cabo
- 6 Mayan Palace Timeshare Fraud
- 7 HELP! St.Croix or Cancun
- 8 Returning to Puerto Vallarta
- 9 Two weeks in Panama, a new adventure...
- 10 Caravan Tour to Panama
- 11 Planning a trip to Panama
- 12 Merida - any recommendations for a good hotel
- 13 Riviera Maya vs Cancun for boogie boarding
- 14 Driving in Mexico
- 15 Ideas for our 2 weeks in Mexico over the Festive Season?
- 16 Costa Rica Newbie Xmas Week
- 17 unsafe?
- 18 Off the beaten path Playa Del Carmen
- 19 Getting around in Costa Rica
- 20 Costa Rica Itinerary Advice Please!
- 21 Valle de Guadalupe, Baja California
- 22 Driving in Costa Rica
- 23 Playa Mujeres
- 24 zip line (and other activities) for (very) young kids in Guanacaste?
- 25 Destination for 3 kids under 5 - Cancun?
Oaxaca in March with my 17-year-old? Opinions/ideas sought.
Hi Mexico experts...