Hi Mexico experts...
Besides Cancun a lifetime ago, I've never been to Mexico.
A friend and his wife recently built a retirement home in Oaxaca and have invited us to come vacation there. They are only there October-April. I don't want to say "we are thinking of coming" unless I'm pretty certain we will go and so I'm doing my research.
I've read a bit, and it looks like an interesting way to spend spring break with my daughter. She is studying Spanish and is interested in languages as well as crafts, markets, local color, archeological sites.
I like art and crafts as well and would love to learn a few Spanish phrases.
My idea was to do a language school a couple hours a day and hang out in the city and environs - nothing too taxing. Possibly get a trip to the beach for the weekend although that may be ambitious - we probably only have about 8 days.
My friend and his wife are lovely and she is a local with family aplenty.
What do you think?? Any firsthand experiences? Language programs? Restaurants? Culture you enjoyed.
(Weighing this against a week in Europe with visit to our good friends in Zürich.)
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Cancun - low key beach suggestions
- 2 Best driving routes in Costa Rica
- 3 Driving in CR
- 4 Rental car - Lost driver's license! Help!
- 5 Sirena Station hike Drake Bay
- 6 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 7 unsafe?
- 8 Five Nights in Mexico City: A July Travel Fix
- 9 One week home-stay/ language school during hoilday
- 10 Help choosing Spanish course - Mexico / Guatemala?
- 11 Nicaragua-avoid if you can
- 12 Riviera Maya driving safety
- 13 Moon Palace in Cancun
- 14 Belize With Baby & Toddler
- 15 Terrible location for Ocean Maya Royale
- 16 Bosque Del Cabo/Corcovado
- 17 Another question re. Merida car hire - Unirent?
- 18 Non tourist beach in December
- 19 Driving in Mexico
- 20 Sending things back home.
- 21 Back from Isla Mujeres
- 22 How many nights Santa Elena / CI / Valladolid?
- 23 Costa Rica: Guancaste with kids
- 24 Costa Rica Itinerary Advice Please!
- 25 Costa Rica 3 weeks with 2 kids
Oaxaca in March with my 17-year-old? Opinions/ideas sought.
Hi Mexico experts...