I know I should have posted this earlier, but I have a gift for procrastination.
Here's the situation. My wife and I (both in 40s) are taking our first trip to Nicaragua, arriving on 5/22. My wife is an adventurist do-it-yourselfer and has rented us a house on the NW coast. Both of us only speak English.
Here's where I could really use some help:
She really wants to rent a car and do some exploring. Is this something we can realistically be able to pull off without speaking the language (we drove all over Costa Rica 10 years ago without incident)?
Is there anything we really need to be concerned about?
Are there areas we should avoid?
Mainly, the trip reports I've read have done a great job of pointing out things we should do (thanks to those that posted and replied to them), but are there hidden treasures for do-it-yourselfers that may have been missed and, even more importantly, are there things we need to be careful of (outside of the obvious, like don't walk around the streets at 3 AM waving $$$$ in the air)?
Thanks a ton in advance. No doubt this will be a great anniversary adventure and I'm sure the info those that choose to respond will help ensure it is just that.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 moving to mexico
- 2 international calling cards
- 3 September CR trip, itinerary questions and hotel deals?
- 4 Zika and Baja California ( La Paz, Mexico)
- 5 Trip report: Costa Rica natural highlights
- 6 Archaeological tours
- 7 Driving USA to Guatemala
- 8 Help with itinerary 2 week trip to Mexico
- 9 moving to mexico
- 10 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 11 First Time to Magical Saltillo Coahuila
- 12 Guanajuato
- 13 Cancun All inclusive
- 14 Puebla toTapachula: Chiapas Road Blocks
- 15 Ideas for a trip to CR
- 16 Costa Rica: Guancaste with kids
- 17 Overshadowed Exciting Puebla
- 18 Planning a trip to Costa Rica in September?
- 19 Finalizing Costa Rica Itinerary-a few questions
- 20 Roads Guate-Pana and Pana-Antigua and
- 21 vacation rentals in Antigua Guatemala?
- 22 girls getaway
- 23 Tulum and Akumal Tours
- 24 Starting an activity based company in Punta De Mita (Puerto Vallarta)
- 25 First time CR intinerary help