My husband I are planning an approximately 8 month trip in Central and south America. Our objectives are: learn spanish (attend language school, volunteering (missionary) work, sight see, and cultural immersion. We are hoping to start in Guatemala and do about 6 weeks of language study there, continue to Costa Rica to do some missionary work for about a month, then spend a month or so exploring the rest of Central America. Total of just under 4 months in Central America. We then hope to cross over to South America (by ship?) and work our way down using local transportation-mainly buses to traverse and explore South America and end in Buenos Aires spending about 4 months total in South America. Our travel budget is about 13,500 ($56 per day for us both) not including airfare. We plan to travel pretty cheap and do some touristy things but also spend time with the locals in smaller villages and such. We wouldn't mind trading labor for food/lodging. We may cut loose at times but are not planning going out and drinking much of the time. We are both fairly travel naive and I would really appreciate some feedback on the feasibility of the time line and the budget. Thanks!
Need feedback for Central/South America trip plan
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Any recommendations for activities or adventures for kids in Riviera Maya
- 2 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 3 Riviera Maya - Where to Stay?
- 4 December trip to CR ...Is the tour company correct ?
- 5 if we do bosque del cabo-where else can we go that is nearby?
- 6 Interbus and San Jose
- 7 Trip ideas needed please
- 8 costa rica in a car in two weeks
- 9 Labor Day Weekend Weather in Playa Del Carmen
- 10 Playa del Carmen
- 11 Villahermosa, Tabasco to San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas
- 12 Bicycle riding in La Pas Mexico
- 13 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 14 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 15 tours to gatun locks panama
- 16 Panama in October
- 17 hotels in oaxaca centro historico
- 18 loved la carolina lodge-what are similar spots in cr?
- 19 Hotel or House in Tulum?
- 20 Costa Rica First Trip -- Help
- 21 Red Frog Beach Resort or Popa Paradise (or another option?)
- 22 Driving & Camping in Baja California
- 23 Monteverde from Liberia
- 24 Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go??
- 25 Costa Rica: Mal Pais or Manuel Antonio?