My husband I are planning an approximately 8 month trip in Central and south America. Our objectives are: learn spanish (attend language school, volunteering (missionary) work, sight see, and cultural immersion. We are hoping to start in Guatemala and do about 6 weeks of language study there, continue to Costa Rica to do some missionary work for about a month, then spend a month or so exploring the rest of Central America. Total of just under 4 months in Central America. We then hope to cross over to South America (by ship?) and work our way down using local transportation-mainly buses to traverse and explore South America and end in Buenos Aires spending about 4 months total in South America. Our travel budget is about 13,500 ($56 per day for us both) not including airfare. We plan to travel pretty cheap and do some touristy things but also spend time with the locals in smaller villages and such. We wouldn't mind trading labor for food/lodging. We may cut loose at times but are not planning going out and drinking much of the time. We are both fairly travel naive and I would really appreciate some feedback on the feasibility of the time line and the budget. Thanks!
Need feedback for Central/South America trip plan
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 mayan ruins family trip
- 2 Cancun / Playa del Carmen with Young Kids
- 3 travel blog Costa Rica, Aruba and more
- 4 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 5 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 6 Stay for a night in cancun before 14 days at beach house near tulum?
- 7 Airfares between Kansas City and Costa Rica
- 8 San Jose, Costa Rica
- 9 How safe is driving a car through Mexico
- 10 Playa del Carmen
- 11 Cancun - may or JUne 2015
- 12 Help us find the perfect AI Resort
- 13 Puerto Vallarta - charm and low key
- 14 Awesome Tour Guide in San Salvador!
- 15 Mexico
- 16 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 17 Trip ideas needed please
- 18 Riviera Maya - Where to Stay?
- 19 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 20 Monterrey, Mexico Safety
- 21 Panama Travelogue (Panama City & Rainforest, Boquete, Bocas del Toro)
- 22 Work Exchanges in Costa Rica? Please help!
- 23 buying silver jewelry in cancun
- 24 Cozumel Diving & Possible Terrible Weather: To change dates or not?
- 25 Costa Rica experts: ideas needed for 2 days pre- and post- cycling trip.