We are taking our first trip to Guatemala next week and are very excited about this adventure. I am concerned about how to handle money. I have read about the ATM machines in Antigua which makes me leery of all ATM transactions. Would the machines in the airport be safe? How about in banks? Most of our trip has not been prepaid, so we will be needing quite a lot of money for our 10 days. I was thinking of good old Traveler Checks. Are they widely accepted? I also heard that most hotels and restaurants put a surcharge on credit card use. Is that correct? Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
Money in Guatemala
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Beware of sea lice!
- 2 Ho, Ho, Oaxaca
- 3 Departure tax
- 4 questions on a few Nicaragua logistics
- 5 Zipline at Arenal or Monteverde
- 6 Activities in Tamarindo, Guanacaste
- 7 Looking for Info on Coba Schools
- 8 HELP! Need a Guide for a Day in Managua
- 9 Guatemala suggested itinery/transport/etc
- 10 Costa Rica first timers
- 11 Bringing snacks into Mexico
- 12 Costa Rica: Drive from Arenal to Guanacaste via Monteverde
- 13 MEX to Polanco hotel? Taxi?
- 14 Spanish School in Tulum, Mexico
- 15 OAXACA markets….question or two..guide?
- 16 think twice before using expedia
- 17 Meztli Spanish School in Tulum, Mexico
- 18 best places in Baja
- 19 Beachfront in Tulum
- 20 Belize, first time
- 21 las palapas/mahekal???? Looking for quiet AI in Mexico???
- 22 How far a drive from Playa Grande to Riu Palace?
- 23 Catamaran Sailing in Costa Rica & Questions Answered
- 24 Costa Rica with young kids
- 25 10 Days in Central America. Where should I go?