I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 AOL@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tech SUPP0RT CARE *
- 2 Best time of year for Mexico City/Puebla?
- 3 info needed on NW Mexico trip
- 4 Help! Should I go to Central America during the rainy season?
- 5 Tulum Beachfront Lodging with Tweens
- 6 Need Help with Costa Rica
- 7 Cozumel airport transfers
- 8 Best plan - suggestions
- 9 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 10 Vacation choices
- 11 Puerto Vallarta
- 12 nicaragua-Rancho Santana
- 13 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 14 PV Questions about art, food, cooking classes!
- 15 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 16 Transportation between Granada, Nicaragua and Ometepe, Nicaragua
- 17 Old Town Puerto Vallarta May 2017
- 18 Isla Holbox - where did you stay?
- 19 Olmec Colossal Heads
- 20 Tour Guide - Mexico City
- 21 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 22 1/2 day excursions
- 23 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 24 Going with the flow - 16 days in Costa Rica
- 25 top 8 cenotes to visit