I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Mexico City and... Cancun?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Puerto Vallarta Favorites
- 2 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 3 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 4 April trip to Puerto Vallarta with two young children-- suggestions?
- 5 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 6 Costa Rica best use of 9 full days with young kids!
- 7 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 8 Costa rica help
- 9 car rental companies
- 10 Roatan safety and other suggestions?
- 11 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 12 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 13 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 14 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 15 cozumel tennis
- 16 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR
- 17 Panama - Best Place for Outdoor Activities?
- 18 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 19 Baja California
- 20 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 21 Mexico region question
- 22 All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico
- 23 Transportation from Osa to Arenal and hotel in SJ
- 24 help with travel plans 10 days Costa Rica in April
- 25 Suggestions for birthday celebration in or around Samara