I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Trip to Punta de Mita in January and need help with planning
- 2 Adult only all inclusive
- 3 Any advice on a place to stay in Los Cabos for a family of 4
- 4 Westjet flights to Merida
- 5 Belize - Where to Go?
- 6 Savegre Hotel
- 7 Day pass at Arenal Observatory Lodge
- 8 Camera & Accessories
- 9 Wildlife in Belize
- 10 Where to eat in Costa Rica
- 11 Central America Safety?! Any suggestions will help.
- 12 Will anyone be in Oaxaca, 9/21-10/10?
- 13 Costa Rica
- 14 TranquilSeas Roatan - feedback or suggestions?
- 15 Help needed - Riviera Maya or Puerto Plata in Feb
- 16 Land Border & Monterrey to Mexican Language School & Side Trips
- 17 Cancun beaches coated with thick seaweed
- 18 Riviera Maya seaweed problem....
- 19 Safety for swimming in ocean
- 20 Wedding catering in San Miguel de Allende
- 21 Five Nights in Mexico City: A July Travel Fix
- 22 Belize Trip Report - Lamanai Outpost Lodge and Tranquility Bay Resort
- 23 Best rain forest guide and Tour companies for Rafting and Canopy in Arenal
- 24 Arenal Observatory Lodge?
- 25 Costa Rica or Belize with kids in late August/early September?