I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Zika and Baja California ( La Paz, Mexico)
- 2 Archaeological tours
- 3 moving to mexico
- 4 Driving USA to Guatemala
- 5 Help with itinerary 2 week trip to Mexico
- 6 moving to mexico
- 7 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 8 First Time to Magical Saltillo Coahuila
- 9 Guanajuato
- 10 Cancun All inclusive
- 11 Puebla toTapachula: Chiapas Road Blocks
- 12 Ideas for a trip to CR
- 13 Costa Rica: Guancaste with kids
- 14 Overshadowed Exciting Puebla
- 15 Planning a trip to Costa Rica in September?
- 16 Finalizing Costa Rica Itinerary-a few questions
- 17 Roads Guate-Pana and Pana-Antigua and
- 18 vacation rentals in Antigua Guatemala?
- 19 girls getaway
- 20 Tulum and Akumal Tours
- 21 Starting an activity based company in Punta De Mita (Puerto Vallarta)
- 22 First time CR intinerary help
- 23 Costa Rica family vacation - December
- 24 Second trip to CR - advice on Pacific coast
- 25 Yucatan/Quintana Roo Itinerary