I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Riviera Maya driving safety
- 2 Cancun - low key beach suggestions
- 3 Belize With Baby & Toddler
- 4 Terrible location for Ocean Maya Royale
- 5 Bosque Del Cabo/Corcovado
- 6 Another question re. Merida car hire - Unirent?
- 7 Non tourist beach in December
- 8 unsafe?
- 9 Driving in Mexico
- 10 Sending things back home.
- 11 Back from Isla Mujeres
- 12 How many nights Santa Elena / CI / Valladolid?
- 13 Costa Rica: Guancaste with kids
- 14 Costa Rica Itinerary Advice Please!
- 15 Costa Rica 3 weeks with 2 kids
- 16 Costa Rica family vacation - December
- 17 Costa rica in december with young kids
- 18 Puerto Vallarta Nov 2016
- 19 White hair in Valladolid....
- 20 cenotes/yucatan peninsula
- 21 unsafer?
- 22 Gamboa Rainforest Resort alternative
- 23 Budget Belize
- 24 Suggestions for a quick trip to Belize
- 25 Costa Rica for business