I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 dental implants
- 2 First time CR intinerary help
- 3 I Love Oaxaca, but...
- 4 Fishing around Arenal
- 5 Costa Rica with 2 year old and 9 month old
- 6 1st trip w/new boyfriend cancun or near by.
- 7 Costa Rica- July trip
- 8 Santa Cruze Hualtuco
- 9 Do you need ID to use buses between cities in Mexico?
- 10 Puerto Vallarta with Kids
- 11 Amazing trip to Costa Rica with kids
- 12 Mexico -- how many ruins?
- 13 help from a Panamanian
- 14 Best Panama beach area?
- 15 Driving from Mexico to Belize
- 16 First Time to Magical Saltillo Coahuila
- 17 Guanacaste
- 18 Restaurant Raves Puerto Vallarta
- 19 Riu Cancun
- 20 Help with itinerary 2 week trip to Mexico
- 21 Passport expires soon
- 22 Los Algodones Baja Mexico
- 23 Need Suggestions for Guatemala
- 24 Is it really worth it to go all the way to Placencia?
- 25 day trips from Mexico City