I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Mexico City and... Cancun?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Bringing clothes and fabric to Puerto vallarta
- 2 Cabo San Lucas
- 3 Mexico City, DF Restaurant
- 4 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 5 Costa Rica for 9 days in Dec
- 6 tours to gatun locks panama
- 7 Trip ideas needed please
- 8 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 9 Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for boogie boarding and hotel recs
- 10 Hopefulist in Guatemala (again) 2014
- 11 Belize vs. Costa Rica
- 12 our detailed report from manuel antonio
- 13 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 14 Mex City Restaurant
- 15 Guidebook for Oaxaca
- 16 costa rica in two weeks
- 17 Airport policy for departures in Costa Rica
- 18 Cancun Hotel
- 19 Any recommendations for activities or adventures for kids in Riviera Maya
- 20 When to go to the Yucatán or to Puerta Vallarta
- 21 Cuernavaca
- 22 sales tax in Mexico
- 23 Alamo Car rental Liberia Costa Rica
- 24 Guide to Nicaraguan festivals and events
- 25 Labor Day Weekend Trip to Mexico