I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Belize -- Lamanai and X'Tan Ha
- 2 Belize-first timer ?s for Cayes & Cayo w/ Guatemala
- 3 Activities in Costa Rica
- 4 Looking for a really unique day trip in Costa Rica
- 5 Honeymoon Planning - help wanted!
- 6 all about volcano boarding in Nicaragua
- 7 Cell Phone Internet While in Mexico?
- 8 ATV's, Nightlife, and Poker Cancun
- 9 Private Driver/Assistant Cancun
- 10 Sayulita, Mexico Beaches and hotels
- 11 Costa Rica vs. Mexico vs. Hawaii
- 12 beaches in El Salvador near a town
- 13 Gluten Free Belize
- 14 First time to Mexico - GTO and SMA General questions
- 15 Is this a Doable Day Trip?
- 16 buying silver jewelry in cancun
- 17 Ritz Carlton Cancun for Romantic Getaway or Too Much of "Party Place?"
- 18 In Cancun right now..
- 19 Driving there in Baja: safe or not?
- 20 La Fortuna or Manuel Antonio?
- 21 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 22 Architecture - Old and New Mexico
- 23 Mexico or Nicaragua for Beach Loving Adventurers
- 24 Belize, Roatan or Cozumel: which is best snorkeling?
- 25 Places to stay in Belize