I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 http://www.healthdietalert.com/alpha-monster-advanced/
- 2 Suze- Just curious Suites Plaza del Rio
- 3 PV Easter Weekend 2017
- 4 Pesos for Dollars exchange
- 5 Costa Rica Itinerary with Kids
- 6 Exploring Ek' Balam & X'canche Cenote
- 7 Royal Hideaway construction
- 8 I waited too long! What would you do?
- 9 Western Caribbean Cruise Question
- 10 Costa Rica limited mobility issues...
- 11 PDC Blue Parrot shooting
- 12 Our CR Itinerary & a Spider Question
- 13 Recommendations for 4nights/5days in Costa Rica
- 14 8 Night Trip to Belize
- 15 3rd-10th april
- 16 May in Central America
- 17 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 18 Ixtapa Zihua safety
- 19 Four night is PV
- 20 Beach alternatives to SJDS
- 21 Best Cruise Stop For Mayan Ruins - Cozumel or Costa Maya?
- 22 Travel Guatemala City to Panajachel
- 23 San Miguel
- 24 Oaxaca in march
- 25 Luis Barragan in Mexico City