I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 YAHOO Password reset Contact ☎ 1:888:260:2909 YAHOO Tec*h Supp0rt 24\7
- 2 live from PV !
- 3 Belize itinerary help
- 4 Help choosing Spanish course / immersion in Southern Mexico
- 5 Heads up; Diversion pick pocket Cabo
- 6 Mexico
- 7 Nicaragua - Hurricane Nate damage??
- 8 Belize planning help
- 9 Another Yucatan trip report
- 10 Safe to drive in Cabo?
- 11 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 12 Puerto Vallarta & Vicinity
- 13 2017 SMA Trip
- 14 Panama Canal transit - Panama to Costa Rica or reverse?
- 15 Recommended Mexico City Guidebook?
- 16 Honeymoon in January 2018
- 17 7 days in Costa Rica - Itinerary suggestions wanted
- 18 Mineral De Pozos mini-trip report
- 19 1 month in Puerto Vallarta
- 20 OK to travel to Zihua and Ixtapa?
- 21 US Citizen leaving Mexico without Passport
- 22 Bocas ??
- 23 Young Couple Looking for a Vacation Destination
- 24 San Luis Potosi & La Huasteca
- 25 Costa Rica Connection