I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Mexico City and... Cancun?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 A hotel on the beach in Tamarindo
- 2 Looking for a Romantic Beach Bungalow in Riviera Maya
- 3 Third Party Liability Insurance Car rental Mexico
- 4 Belize, Roatan or Cozumel: which is best snorkeling?
- 5 Costa Rica Pacific Highlands and Coast-Feb 2015
- 6 Costa Rica. info about,sarapiqui
- 7 Hotel with kids in Tulum or Akumal?
- 8 Tulum (camping)
- 9 Shuttle transport San Cristobal to Palenque
- 10 Fairmont Mayakoba and Playa del Carmen Trip Report
- 11 anyone ever use Namu Travel?
- 12 bosque del cabo or private house in matapalo??
- 13 Last minute Cancun trip must do's?
- 14 Squeamish about House Bugs in Mexico
- 15 Have airfare, am wishy washy on where to stay!-Costa Rica
- 16 tulum, punta allen and sian ka an
- 17 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 18 A great destination in Costa Rica: the Osa Peninsula and Bosque del Cabo
- 19 Traveling to Mexico City in April and need guidance
- 20 Beach Erosion in Playa del Carmen??
- 21 Hopkins, Belize Honeymoon
- 22 Easter (or Semana Santa) in Nicaragua
- 23 Leo Rodriguez is a great local guide/drive
- 24 Retire in Mexico or Centeral America
- 25 6 days in Cancun and Riviera Maya end of May