I'm thinking about extending an upcoming business trip to the US West Coast in April 2014 by adding a week or a few days more in Mexico (where I have never been so far).
By logistics, I am limited to airports in the Bay Area to start that side trip and could go to Mexico City first (it's also by far the cheapest nonstop destination in Mexico from SFO).
Interests: architecture (the old and the new), people watching, strolling around, some museums/arts.., more the Frida Kahlo paintings, murals, not THAT much "pre-historic stuff" (some is okay, though)
Q1: Is 4-5 days in Mexico City "enough"?
As I cannot fly nonstop from MEX to Munich anyway, I thought about adding another place in Mexico from where I can - and the only option will be Cancun. Plus airfare costs next to nothing.
Q2: Does Cancun make sense when I do not only want to lie on the beach but see more from that part of the country?
Q3: In Cancun, are you confined to the huge resorts or can you also stay in the area more individually (e.g. smaller hotels)
Q4: If the area is "worth" exploring, I assume that I should rent a car, right?
Thanks in advance for any input, criticism, ideas...
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 My Topic TitleStar Trek Beyond Full Movie Download HD
- 2 Rain all week
- 3 Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$
- 4 Nicest All inclusive for young children
- 5 Central america with 6 yr old.
- 6 Amazing..
- 7 Land Border & Monterrey to Mexican Language School & Side Trips
- 8 Costa Rica in Christmas 2016
- 9 Layover in San Salvador
- 10 day trips from Mexico City
- 11 Destination for 3 kids under 5 - Cancun?
- 12 help from a Panamanian
- 13 Dynamic Airways = LAX to Cancun
- 14 Hotel Recommendation for Riviera Maya please help!
- 15 Cancun Beach Snorkeling 6/2016
- 16 Playa del carmen - airbnb
- 17 Looking for Good Remote Study Location
- 18 advice for costa rica about tennagers .
- 19 Pearl Keys
- 20 Transportation from the Royal Playa Del Carmen to Iberostar Grand Pariso
- 21 Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?
- 22 Niaragua Adventures: Beware of the Small Print
- 23 Grand sunset princess (playa del carmen)
- 24 Picky traveler looking for a hidden gem
- 25 Honeymoon in mid-September?