We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 What to do in Costa Rica when it rains?
- 2 Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?
- 3 Bosque Del Cabo one week or split with Iguana Lodge
- 4 After Bosque del Cabo, where next?
- 5 Puerto Jiminez Costa Rica in July
- 6 Costa Rica car rental insurance nightmare
- 7 Mérida, Yucatán and Cancún, Quintana Roo
- 8 How much should I worry about Zika!?
- 9 Costa Rica Itinerary - Help
- 10 Travel Logistics / Safety
- 11 Playa del Carmen hotels
- 12 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 13 1st trip w/new boyfriend cancun or near by.
- 14 Uvita or Puerto Viejo
- 15 ADO or other bus booking questions
- 16 Arenal area: Los Logos or Arenal Springs?
- 17 Music Video
- 18 July Adventure
- 19 exchanging US dollars for Mexican pesos
- 20 Guatemala trip in August?
- 21 Colonial Mexico for 1 Week - Help?
- 22 Driving Central America
- 23 Nicaragua -- connection
- 24 Driving in Mexico
- 25 june trip-help with itinerary