We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Looking for Costa Rica Advice...leaving in 2 days
- 2 Help with selecting regions / lodges for second trip to CR
- 3 Costa Rica Itinerary Help
- 4 Puerto Vallarta with Kids
- 5 Costa Rica travel help easter
- 6 Guanajuato
- 7 Amazing..
- 8 10 days in Belize - Tranportaion ?
- 9 Do you need ID to use buses between cities in Mexico?
- 10 Help choosing Spanish course - Mexico / Guatemala?
- 11 First Time to Magical Saltillo Coahuila
- 12 I Love Oaxaca, but...
- 13 Costa Rica with 2 year old and 9 month old
- 14 Fishing around Arenal
- 15 First time CR intinerary help
- 16 dental implants
- 17 1st trip w/new boyfriend cancun or near by.
- 18 Costa Rica- July trip
- 19 Santa Cruze Hualtuco
- 20 Amazing trip to Costa Rica with kids
- 21 Mexico -- how many ruins?
- 22 help from a Panamanian
- 23 Best Panama beach area?
- 24 Driving from Mexico to Belize
- 25 Guanacaste