We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Mar 2013 : Where to Go? Roatan, Maui or T&C
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 CasaMagana Marriott Puerto Vallart
- 2 Advice desired for a family trip to costa rica
- 3 Family Fun in Dominical-Trip Report
- 4 Solo Female traveler in Mexico- please review my rough itinerary
- 5 Tamarindo, Costa Rica, in July
- 6 Injury on the Belize Zip- need legal advice
- 7 New Large Resort in Tela Honduras
- 8 Merida-where to stay
- 9 Mexico City Hotels
- 10 Tips re Puerto Vallarta
- 11 Traveling to Mexico City in April and need guidance
- 12 Review of JW Marriott Guanacaste
- 13 Snorkeling
- 14 Guadalajara vs Mexico City in June, 5 nights
- 15 Wanted - Family Resort with Great Food - Cancun - Playa del Carmen
- 16 Nicaragua April 1-11 - OK time to go?
- 17 Cancun or Playa del Carmen
- 18 Questions on What to Pack for Osa Peninsula Trip
- 19 Cenotes near Playa Del Carmen
- 20 Family friendly restaurants in Playa del Carmen with good food?
- 21 Guanacaste, based in Playa Grande
- 22 Best restaurants in Mexico City & San Miguel de Allende
- 23 Looking for a really unique day trip in Costa Rica
- 24 Albuterol inhalers and prescription orthotics in Panama?
- 25 Guatemala City La Aurora International Airport