We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Arenal Observatory Lodge?
- 2 Belize beach / Jungle trip ideas?
- 3 Matamoros
- 4 Central America vacation in September
- 5 Costa Rica--first time
- 6 Costa Rica arrangements suggestions
- 7 Tulum area accomidation inpuut
- 8 Cancun beaches coated with thick seaweed
- 9 Granada or Leon
- 10 Rental Car in Mexico
- 11 Central America Safety?! Any suggestions will help.
- 12 Sandals in Cancún
- 13 Belize itinerary help
- 14 Dream Tulum or Dreams Riviera?
- 15 Dreams Tulum vs. Dreams Riviera Cancun??
- 16 Costa Rica surfing
- 17 Nicaragua money questions
- 18 Blue Hole
- 19 Costa Rica first time rent a car?
- 20 Panama in December?
- 21 Mexico with 6 yr. olds: want beach and history- Suggestions?
- 22 Long ride to Nayara. Are there good options along the way?
- 23 Granada vs San Juan, all you need to know
- 24 Best Hotels for Birding in Costa Rica or Belize?
- 25 Five nights Ambergris Caye - Itinerary help