Hi to all!
I’m working on a solo, low budget trip to Costa Rica, flying there after 3 weeks, and plan to travel around, about 10 days (before/ after I cross to Nicaragua, for a couple of weeks there also).
This is a revised plan, after an earlier question, so I limit the initial destinations, to make it more realistic.
After some initial research, it seems that CR is not generally a low budget paradise (!), but I’d still like to see something from it, so I’m looking for nice spots, to get a good and true feeling of the country (nature, people) without the expensive eco-lodges, river rafting agencies, taxis, packages of any kind…. These amenities could make a great trip also, no doubt, but cannot do it.
So, best would be, if possible, to get at places by public transport, hike around independently (where it is safe and have clearly marked trails), smell the forest, hear the birds, see the animals, ride (public) boats …
Adrenaline sports, adventure parks, clubbing and drinking are not my thing, anyway.
Some ideas I’d try, are: Poas, Sarapiqui, Tortugero, Manuel Antonio… so many others…
CR has obviously many superb destinations, and I’ve got recommendations from guidebook and forum, but many times, they involve obligatory use of expensive services (travel companies, guides, private transfers, resorts etc), and venturing solo, makes things even more expensive. So I’m looking for some more relaxed situations, backpacker friendly….
It goes without saying that the trip wouldn’t worth, if it was an exile to an insignificant place, just to achieve the low budget aim… The idea is to see some good stuff, yet the small budget.
Your recommendations would be … gold to me!!
Many thanks, happy travels !
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 PDC Blue Parrot shooting
- 2 Our CR Itinerary & a Spider Question
- 3 8 Night Trip to Belize
- 4 3rd-10th april
- 5 May in Central America
- 6 Costa Rica limited mobility issues...
- 7 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 8 Ixtapa Zihua safety
- 9 Pesos for Dollars exchange
- 10 Four night is PV
- 11 Beach alternatives to SJDS
- 12 Best Cruise Stop For Mayan Ruins - Cozumel or Costa Maya?
- 13 Travel Guatemala City to Panajachel
- 14 San Miguel
- 15 Oaxaca in march
- 16 Luis Barragan in Mexico City
- 17 Where to stay in Placencia, Belize?
- 18 Snorkeling trips
- 19 Diving (Riviera Maya)
- 20 I waited too long! What would you do?
- 21 In search of place to take my adult daughters on vacation
- 22 best new site in costa rica
- 23 Tikal, Guatemala
- 24 Progreso, Yucatàn
- 25 Recommendations for 4nights/5days in Costa Rica
Low budget adventures - places - get there by public transport?
Hi to all!