Hi to all!
I’m working on a solo, low budget trip to Costa Rica, flying there after 3 weeks, and plan to travel around, about 10 days (before/ after I cross to Nicaragua, for a couple of weeks there also).
This is a revised plan, after an earlier question, so I limit the initial destinations, to make it more realistic.
After some initial research, it seems that CR is not generally a low budget paradise (!), but I’d still like to see something from it, so I’m looking for nice spots, to get a good and true feeling of the country (nature, people) without the expensive eco-lodges, river rafting agencies, taxis, packages of any kind…. These amenities could make a great trip also, no doubt, but cannot do it.
So, best would be, if possible, to get at places by public transport, hike around independently (where it is safe and have clearly marked trails), smell the forest, hear the birds, see the animals, ride (public) boats …
Adrenaline sports, adventure parks, clubbing and drinking are not my thing, anyway.
Some ideas I’d try, are: Poas, Sarapiqui, Tortugero, Manuel Antonio… so many others…
CR has obviously many superb destinations, and I’ve got recommendations from guidebook and forum, but many times, they involve obligatory use of expensive services (travel companies, guides, private transfers, resorts etc), and venturing solo, makes things even more expensive. So I’m looking for some more relaxed situations, backpacker friendly….
It goes without saying that the trip wouldn’t worth, if it was an exile to an insignificant place, just to achieve the low budget aim… The idea is to see some good stuff, yet the small budget.
Your recommendations would be … gold to me!!
Many thanks, happy travels !
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Best bus service from Queretero to San Miguel d"Alende
- 2 Transportation to hotel from airport
- 3 Belize - need help with planning our 10 days
- 4 Two weeks in Panama, a new adventure...
- 5 ADO or other bus booking questions
- 6 Manuel Antonio - Private Villa or Tulemar?
- 7 Belize-how many days for beach and jungle
- 8 Sunday bus schedule hours
- 9 Need help w/mother/daughter 3 day side excursion
- 10 Visit to Xela, Antigua, Atitlan
- 11 Glover's ongoing report on Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua
- 12 Iberostar Club Membership Sales Pitch
- 13 Help with excursions from Black Rock Lodge
- 14 STAY AWAY FROM AMERICA CAR RENTAL!!
- 15 Belize, Rotaan, Cozumel - WHAT TO DO?? HELP!!
- 16 Entertaining young children in Tulum/Akumal
- 17 Tour/Excursion operators Arenal & Manuel Antonio
- 18 Wanna be Expats!!! Can we move to Mexico sooner? Work? Elsewhere?
- 19 A WHALE Of A TALE
- 20 Panama made us Panamaniacs, Trip Report Dec/Jan 2015-16
- 21 Fonda Vela
- 22 mexico vs dominican republic vacation
- 23 Privat Tour Options for Chichen itza + Tulum
- 24 Mosquitoes and the Zika virus
- 25 Cancun 7 day trip advice needed
Low budget adventures - places - get there by public transport?
Hi to all!