Hi to all!
I’m working on a solo, low budget trip to Costa Rica, flying there after 3 weeks, and plan to travel around, about 10 days (before/ after I cross to Nicaragua, for a couple of weeks there also).
This is a revised plan, after an earlier question, so I limit the initial destinations, to make it more realistic.
After some initial research, it seems that CR is not generally a low budget paradise (!), but I’d still like to see something from it, so I’m looking for nice spots, to get a good and true feeling of the country (nature, people) without the expensive eco-lodges, river rafting agencies, taxis, packages of any kind…. These amenities could make a great trip also, no doubt, but cannot do it.
So, best would be, if possible, to get at places by public transport, hike around independently (where it is safe and have clearly marked trails), smell the forest, hear the birds, see the animals, ride (public) boats …
Adrenaline sports, adventure parks, clubbing and drinking are not my thing, anyway.
Some ideas I’d try, are: Poas, Sarapiqui, Tortugero, Manuel Antonio… so many others…
CR has obviously many superb destinations, and I’ve got recommendations from guidebook and forum, but many times, they involve obligatory use of expensive services (travel companies, guides, private transfers, resorts etc), and venturing solo, makes things even more expensive. So I’m looking for some more relaxed situations, backpacker friendly….
It goes without saying that the trip wouldn’t worth, if it was an exile to an insignificant place, just to achieve the low budget aim… The idea is to see some good stuff, yet the small budget.
Your recommendations would be … gold to me!!
Many thanks, happy travels !
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 6 weeks in Costa Rica
- 2 Planning a car trip
- 3 DF: Any's Hostal vs Dos Fridas y Diego re location
- 4 first timers planning our own trip
- 5 spa resort: HELP Cabo or Costa Rica?
- 6 Beach for kids in CR
- 7 Pura Vida Trip Report
- 8 16 Nights Mexico - Must Do??
- 9 February Vacation Destination with Young Kids
- 10 Fiesta de Carnaval on Ambergris Caye
- 11 Costa Rica itinerary
- 12 Oscar y Lalos is no longer on the beach - time to update the guidebook
- 13 Suggestions needed for a family trip on the cheap
- 14 Four days in Panama.. Where to get out of the city before coming back?
- 15 2 months in nicaragua - solo female
- 16 HoneyMoon - Gutemala - Mexico
- 17 Timeshare Presentation For Deep Discount On A Resort Worth It???
- 18 Costa Rica - First trip itinerary, jaguar rescue center visit
- 19 Puerto Vallarta Nov 2015 edition
- 20 La Fortuna via Poas
- 21 Riviera Maya: Five Days of Peace & Plenty
- 22 Costa Rica - Arenal & Tamarindo questions
- 23 Sleeping At San Jose Airport
- 24 Entering Guatemala on a One-Way Ticket
- 25 Wonderful Memories with Granddaughter
Low budget adventures - places - get there by public transport?
Hi to all!