I've just returned from a three-week trip to El Salvador, including such venues as the Izalco volcano, Montecristo Cloud Forest, many costal regions (Salinitas, Los Cobanos, La Libertad) and Nahuatl Indian villages such as Quisnahuat (that spelling may be off).
My bases of operation were the sprawling capital San Salvador, the very warm western city of Sonsonate, the pleasant city of Santa Ana, and the on-edge town of Zacatecoluca. I spent a minimal amount of cash and ended up haggling over prices quite a bit with local merchants. That alone honed my sloppy spanish like a knife.
If anyone is interested in budget traveling through Central America, El Salvador in particular, or interested in El Salvador in general, I'd be happy to help out with advice and information. And hey, almost any travel situation is bearable if you know what to do: the national airline, Grupo Taca, lost all of my luggage and I had to make my way thorugh El Salvador with only the contents of my carry-on bag. Quite an experience.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 My Topic TitleGTEC,IELCA,IELCA,ITEP,TELCMSRT,TSE,PTE,TOEFL,
- 2 Mexico in 8 days
- 3 PV: up the hill or closer to the beach?
- 4 Is it REALLY worth Including San Cristobal in my Yucatan Itinerary
- 5 Overdue trip teport (Chiapas and Yucatan, February 2012)
- 6 Is it safe to travel to Cabo San Lucas
- 7 reliable car rental company??
- 8 17 & 18 year olds Spring Break?
- 9 Where to stay in Ambergis Caye?
- 10 Recent Headlines- Cancun
- 11 Puerto Vallarta o Cabo for Christmas break
- 12 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 13 Sayulita in September
- 14 Garza Blanca Preserve -Puerto Vallarta
- 15 Looking for tips (hotels/border crossing/pets) driving Denver to Costa Rica
- 16 Renting Car in Mexico
- 17 Car Rental in Cancun
- 18 Costa Rica
- 19 12-day June CR trip with school-age kids
- 20 1st visit to Costa Rica - Itinerary input appreciated!
- 21 Must sees in Dominical and Uvita
- 22 Which Tortuguero Lodge for 2 night visit in January?
- 23 Does Panama have anything Costa Rica doesn't? (Besides the canal)
- 24 Planning a trip to Panama
- 25 Los Suenos Itinerary