I've just returned from a three-week trip to El Salvador, including such venues as the Izalco volcano, Montecristo Cloud Forest, many costal regions (Salinitas, Los Cobanos, La Libertad) and Nahuatl Indian villages such as Quisnahuat (that spelling may be off).
My bases of operation were the sprawling capital San Salvador, the very warm western city of Sonsonate, the pleasant city of Santa Ana, and the on-edge town of Zacatecoluca. I spent a minimal amount of cash and ended up haggling over prices quite a bit with local merchants. That alone honed my sloppy spanish like a knife.
If anyone is interested in budget traveling through Central America, El Salvador in particular, or interested in El Salvador in general, I'd be happy to help out with advice and information. And hey, almost any travel situation is bearable if you know what to do: the national airline, Grupo Taca, lost all of my luggage and I had to make my way thorugh El Salvador with only the contents of my carry-on bag. Quite an experience.
Just Returned From El Salvador
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 2 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 3 Costa rica help
- 4 car rental companies
- 5 Roatan safety and other suggestions?
- 6 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 7 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 8 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 9 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 10 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 11 cozumel tennis
- 12 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR
- 13 Panama - Best Place for Outdoor Activities?
- 14 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 15 Baja California
- 16 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 17 Mexico region question
- 18 All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico
- 19 Transportation from Osa to Arenal and hotel in SJ
- 20 help with travel plans 10 days Costa Rica in April
- 21 Suggestions for birthday celebration in or around Samara
- 22 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 23 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 24 Semana Santa itinerary
- 25 San Jose del cabo