I've just returned from a three-week trip to El Salvador, including such venues as the Izalco volcano, Montecristo Cloud Forest, many costal regions (Salinitas, Los Cobanos, La Libertad) and Nahuatl Indian villages such as Quisnahuat (that spelling may be off).
My bases of operation were the sprawling capital San Salvador, the very warm western city of Sonsonate, the pleasant city of Santa Ana, and the on-edge town of Zacatecoluca. I spent a minimal amount of cash and ended up haggling over prices quite a bit with local merchants. That alone honed my sloppy spanish like a knife.
If anyone is interested in budget traveling through Central America, El Salvador in particular, or interested in El Salvador in general, I'd be happy to help out with advice and information. And hey, almost any travel situation is bearable if you know what to do: the national airline, Grupo Taca, lost all of my luggage and I had to make my way thorugh El Salvador with only the contents of my carry-on bag. Quite an experience.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Getting to Laguna San Ignacio from Wisconsin
- 2 Day trip from Merida - seeking recommendations
- 3 Driving in CR
- 4 Recommendations for a Mexico City hotel needed
- 5 Advice for 2 days in Mexico City
- 6 Tamarindo Sept
- 7 Actual beachfront hotels in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca???
- 8 Trip help -is MA necessary if I'm going to Osa?
- 9 Quepos and Manuel Antonio
- 10 4 hour tour in San Jose, Costa Rica
- 11 Need help for trip to Costa Rica in December
- 12 Nicest All inclusive for young children
- 13 Visit to Panama - all inclusive r&r combined with adventure ..
- 14 Traveling with a baby to Mexico
- 15 Renting Car in Mexico
- 16 Cancun All inclusive
- 17 Cancun Transfer Timing
- 18 Belize in mid September
- 19 Mexico City Airport hotel transportation question
- 20 Budget Belize
- 21 3 weeks in PV next summer with kids
- 22 Costa Rica Itinerary Help
- 23 Some questions re Mexico City and Puebla
- 24 Blockades In and Around Oaxaca
- 25 Day tours Gold Museum in San Jose