Apparantly the ATM s have been hacked into and it is not advisable to use them, especially in Antigua.. Presenting your card to the teller inside at BAM and actually watching him or her swipe your card might be ok. Also the banks in Antigua would only exchange $200 US a week for quetzales. Of course you can try more banks but the lines are long and after a long wait they may not exchange your dollars. Travelers checks are a thing of the past. Plan ahead but you might encounter some problems. We were in Antigua and Pana. Good luck! other than this our visit was fabulous!!!
Just back from Guatemala....a word of caution
View all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Belize -- several questions -- please help!
- 2 help with 8 days of rainforest, beach and adventure in Costa Rica
- 3 Costa Rica: Itinerary and some questions
- 4 TC's Cozumel List -- Updated 2/2011
- 5 Tour company to help plan trip to El Salvador and Nicaragua
- 6 Help with 5 days touring time
- 7 Costa Rica trip in March
- 8 Safety in Ixtapa
- 9 Staying in Cozumel - Is Chichen Itza worth the trip?
- 10 5 Day Belize Trip - Need Suggestions
- 11 Adopt an animal donation?
- 12 Puerto Viejo Lodging
- 13 Cabo San Lucas
- 14 Guatemala City Airport to Antigua by car & other helpful hints
- 15 Roatan advice
- 16 Best Beach Resort For Snorkeling Mexicos West Coast
- 17 Isla Mujeres, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen for best swimming and snorkeling?
- 18 Cabo San Lucas- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos?
- 19 Shopping for silver jewelry in Puerto Vallarta? Some personal suggestions.
- 20 Drive from Panama To Belize
- 21 Safety in Nicaragua
- 22 Costa Rica - 6 1/2 days / 6 nights
- 23 Zihuatanejo to Acapolco?
- 24 Help on Rental Car Advice
- 25 Off on a Home Exchange to San Jose Costa Rica