I'm traveling to Mexico 10/20-11/4 (approx 14 days-might be able to eek out another day) and trying to work out my itinerary. This is my first trip-very excited to visit this magnificent country! Using FF miles. Would like to be in Oaxaca for Day of Dead. My details: I like to wander/explore, see the must sees, and do one or several guided tours (walking and bus overview when I arrive). I like fabulous guides, charming B&Bs conducive to meeting other travelers and/or interesting historic hotels. Not beachy or sporty-so I prefer to focus on the people, history, culture, architecture, folk art. Solo female. Vegan diet. Sadly I don't speak Spanish, but understand a little b/c I speak some French. Budget is somewhat flexible since I'm using miles. I want to do it all, of course, but I think this trip I'd like to visit Mexico City, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajauto, and Oaxaca. Possibly Puebla if I take the bus from DF to Oaxaca.
--I think I'd like to spend 5-7 days in Oaxaca. 2-3 days in DF and 2-3 in SMdA. Maybe a day in Guanajuato and a day in Puebla en route to Oaxaca. The math might not work out...does this itinerary look doable or too rushed?
--Should I split it up in a different way - how much time should I allot for these places? Or should I drop one or two locations and save for another trip-if so which one(s)?
--Should I fly to Guanajuato first then head to San Miguel and then DF and on to Oaxaca? Or start in DF? Or DF after after Oaxaca before going home (hotel might not be available though). Since I'm using flyer miles, I have some flexibility and can consider flights vs bus.
--Would you fly to Oaxaca from Mexico City or take scenic route via bus, stopping overnight in Puebla?
--Will I be able to navigate subway travel with limited knowledge of Spanish language?
--I've done some searching and will continue to review, but wanted to ask for guidance now because the B&B I like in Mexico City has very few openings so I hope to make some decisions tonight about when to go to DF before it's sold out.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Please help with a one moth itinerary
- 2 Buying a property in Sayulita
- 3 Panama City visit; the good and the bad
- 4 Spanish speaking city to spend August 2017?
- 5 Our first trip to Mexico-It won't be our last!
- 6 Trip to Merida - Very Long and Lots of Info on Restaurants
- 7 Merida in March
- 8 Trip to Costa Rica - Pura Vida
- 9 Mexico in March - questions
- 10 Hopefulist's 2013 Guatemala Travelogue
- 11 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 12 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 13 Private Fishing/Snorkeling boat in Playa del Carmen
- 14 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 15 Nicaragua - dividing time between Leon and Granada
- 16 Adventures in Portobelo, Panama
- 17 Costa Rica With Kids-Recommendations Requested
- 18 travel in Yucatan
- 19 Driving through Mexico to Belize
- 20 Police Harassment in Cancun
- 21 Gay Places in San Pedro Belize
- 22 AI Child-Friendly Tulum Vicinity (30+ mi)
- 23 Which beach location (w/ small kids)?
- 24 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 25 What is the best place to visit in Costa Rica for 18 year olds?