I'm traveling to Mexico 10/20-11/4 (approx 14 days-might be able to eek out another day) and trying to work out my itinerary. This is my first trip-very excited to visit this magnificent country! Using FF miles. Would like to be in Oaxaca for Day of Dead. My details: I like to wander/explore, see the must sees, and do one or several guided tours (walking and bus overview when I arrive). I like fabulous guides, charming B&Bs conducive to meeting other travelers and/or interesting historic hotels. Not beachy or sporty-so I prefer to focus on the people, history, culture, architecture, folk art. Solo female. Vegan diet. Sadly I don't speak Spanish, but understand a little b/c I speak some French. Budget is somewhat flexible since I'm using miles. I want to do it all, of course, but I think this trip I'd like to visit Mexico City, San Miguel de Allende, Guanajauto, and Oaxaca. Possibly Puebla if I take the bus from DF to Oaxaca.
--I think I'd like to spend 5-7 days in Oaxaca. 2-3 days in DF and 2-3 in SMdA. Maybe a day in Guanajuato and a day in Puebla en route to Oaxaca. The math might not work out...does this itinerary look doable or too rushed?
--Should I split it up in a different way - how much time should I allot for these places? Or should I drop one or two locations and save for another trip-if so which one(s)?
--Should I fly to Guanajuato first then head to San Miguel and then DF and on to Oaxaca? Or start in DF? Or DF after after Oaxaca before going home (hotel might not be available though). Since I'm using flyer miles, I have some flexibility and can consider flights vs bus.
--Would you fly to Oaxaca from Mexico City or take scenic route via bus, stopping overnight in Puebla?
--Will I be able to navigate subway travel with limited knowledge of Spanish language?
--I've done some searching and will continue to review, but wanted to ask for guidance now because the B&B I like in Mexico City has very few openings so I hope to make some decisions tonight about when to go to DF before it's sold out.
Itinerary help: DF, SMdA, Guanajuato, Puebla, Oax
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Gunacaste All Inclusive
- 2 13 nights in Costa Rica Itinerary
- 3 Fairmont Mayakoba and Playa del Carmen Trip Report
- 4 Belize, Roatan or Cozumel: which is best snorkeling?
- 5 Costa Rica Pacific Highlands and Coast-Feb 2015
- 6 Glover continues on to Mexico (after Colombia)
- 7 Last minute Cancun trip must do's?
- 8 A hotel on the beach in Tamarindo
- 9 Have airfare, am wishy washy on where to stay!-Costa Rica
- 10 cost of private car between different places in Costa Rica
- 11 Family vacation in beautiful, blissful Belize
- 12 A great destination in Costa Rica: the Osa Peninsula and Bosque del Cabo
- 13 Looking for Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Help
- 14 Showers with butterflies on the OSA & Quetzal near Poas: CR TR
- 15 Third Party Liability Insurance Car rental Mexico
- 16 Puerto aventuras (for free) report
- 17 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 18 looking for fun restaurant in Playa or Cancun to bring teens after wedding
- 19 Looking for a Romantic Beach Bungalow in Riviera Maya
- 20 Costa Rica. info about,sarapiqui
- 21 Hotel with kids in Tulum or Akumal?
- 22 Tulum (camping)
- 23 Shuttle transport San Cristobal to Palenque
- 24 anyone ever use Namu Travel?
- 25 bosque del cabo or private house in matapalo??