I'm honing my itinerary and timing:
I hear markets in and around Oaxaca are especially lively and colorful in the lead up to Day of the Dead days. This year Day of Dead falls on Wed, Thurs. Fri. Wondering if the Wed, Thurs, Friday markets will be open on these Day of Dead days--or are markets closed/vendors with family? And if SatAbastos market and Sun Tlacolula market are open on days immediately following the holiday (11/3-11/4)... I originally thought 6-7 days in Oax was a good target. If it's best to experience Sat/Sun Oaxaca markets before DoD, that means 8-9 days. I'm probably over thinking this.
My current plan:
DF: 5 1/2 days: arr Fri aft/depart Thurs early am.
Puebla/Cholula 2 days thurs/Fri.
Oaxaca 8 1/2 days Sat-Sun (surrounding Dia de los Meurtos) .
Should I borrow a day from DF or Oax and add to Puebla/Cholula? I could add Sat to Puebla (depart Sat night) OR cut DF to 4 1/2 days. Also. leaving Puebla-I thought I should go in daylight to take in the scenery en route to Oax, but if I leave in early evening, I get more time to explore Puebla. Okay, or keep it in the day? I also might take the microfinance tour-that happens only on Thursdays and Saturdays so I'll have to see how that fits into the plan. Many thanks for any insights.
Itinerary DF, Puebla, Oaxaca and Day of Dead question
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 buying silver jewelry in cancun
- 2 Cuernavaca
- 3 questions on a few Nicaragua logistics
- 4 Please advise re itinerary order - Guanajuato, Queretaro, San Miguel
- 5 cancun
- 6 Riviera Maya Suites in Playa del Carmen or....?
- 7 best places in Baja
- 8 Queretaro or Zacatecas??
- 9 Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for boogie boarding and hotel recs
- 10 3 wks for Mayan ruins, colonial cities, markets, culture and nature
- 11 costa rica in two weeks
- 12 Shoes for Costa Rica in Nov.
- 13 Jaco and playa caleta boutique hotel
- 14 Costa Rica: easy, non-hiking activities Monte Verde, Corcovado
- 15 SIM Card -- Mexico to the USA
- 16 Directly book Manuel Antonio Expeditions? Or just deal with hotel?
- 17 Traveling from Roatan to Copan, Honduras
- 18 2 week Costa Rica trip
- 19 6-7 hour layover w/family in San Salvador
- 20 Costa Rica Itinerary-one week. Guanacaste? Arenal?
- 21 costa rica logistics
- 22 copa de árbol or bosque del cabo (or both!)
- 23 Looking for a place similar to Playa Del Carmen
- 24 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 25 costa rica logistics again