I'm honing my itinerary and timing:
I hear markets in and around Oaxaca are especially lively and colorful in the lead up to Day of the Dead days. This year Day of Dead falls on Wed, Thurs. Fri. Wondering if the Wed, Thurs, Friday markets will be open on these Day of Dead days--or are markets closed/vendors with family? And if SatAbastos market and Sun Tlacolula market are open on days immediately following the holiday (11/3-11/4)... I originally thought 6-7 days in Oax was a good target. If it's best to experience Sat/Sun Oaxaca markets before DoD, that means 8-9 days. I'm probably over thinking this.
My current plan:
DF: 5 1/2 days: arr Fri aft/depart Thurs early am.
Puebla/Cholula 2 days thurs/Fri.
Oaxaca 8 1/2 days Sat-Sun (surrounding Dia de los Meurtos) .
Should I borrow a day from DF or Oax and add to Puebla/Cholula? I could add Sat to Puebla (depart Sat night) OR cut DF to 4 1/2 days. Also. leaving Puebla-I thought I should go in daylight to take in the scenery en route to Oax, but if I leave in early evening, I get more time to explore Puebla. Okay, or keep it in the day? I also might take the microfinance tour-that happens only on Thursdays and Saturdays so I'll have to see how that fits into the plan. Many thanks for any insights.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Azul Sensatori
- 2 Costa Rica or Belize with kids in late August/early September?
- 3 Will anyone be in Oaxaca, 9/21-10/10?
- 4 Where to eat in Costa Rica
- 5 Any advice on a place to stay in Los Cabos for a family of 4
- 6 Adult only all inclusive
- 7 Help needed - Riviera Maya or Puerto Plata in Feb
- 8 Trip to Punta de Mita in January and need help with planning
- 9 Westjet flights to Merida
- 10 Belize - Where to Go?
- 11 Savegre Hotel
- 12 Day pass at Arenal Observatory Lodge
- 13 Camera & Accessories
- 14 Wildlife in Belize
- 15 Central America Safety?! Any suggestions will help.
- 16 Costa Rica
- 17 TranquilSeas Roatan - feedback or suggestions?
- 18 Land Border & Monterrey to Mexican Language School & Side Trips
- 19 Cancun beaches coated with thick seaweed
- 20 Riviera Maya seaweed problem....
- 21 Safety for swimming in ocean
- 22 Wedding catering in San Miguel de Allende
- 23 Five Nights in Mexico City: A July Travel Fix
- 24 Belize Trip Report - Lamanai Outpost Lodge and Tranquility Bay Resort
- 25 Best rain forest guide and Tour companies for Rafting and Canopy in Arenal