Will be traveling with friends to the Yucatan Peninsula for 2 weeks in May. First week will be along the east coast - Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Tulum, Cancun. The second week (Tuesday through Monday) we plan to head to the interior/west and we've been having some trouble planning this part. We do know that we would like to be in Merida for Friday/Saturday night. Thinking about this..
Tu: Rent car, leave Playa -> ???
Th: Puuc Route (Mayan Ruins - Uxmal / Loltun Caves / Labna / Sayil / Kabah??)
F: Puuc Route (Uxmal in the am?) -> Merida
Su: Merida (leave in the morning) -> Chichen Itza
M: Chichen Itza -> Playa/Cancun by late morning/early afternoon
Tu: Playa/Cancun, return car -> Airport
Regarding the Puuc route, which ruins are best to see? Should we get a hotel for a night along the route (and if so, any ideas where to stay or eat?), or should we just have a home base in Merida?
Would it be wise to see Chichen Itza Sunday late morning/afternoon? And are there good places to stay/eat nearby for Sunday night?
We'd also like to include some moderately adventurous things to do during this part of our trip. Any Ideas?
I never seem to read anything about the coast north/west of Merida.. anything worthwhile to see/do?
We're excited to try lots of food, so any recommendations of places to eat along the way are GREATLY appreciated!
I know I've go so many questions, but I thank you for all of your time and advice!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Cheap Kitchens Stockport
- 2 Sad Sad Day for my favorite beach city
- 3 New to Travel is Costa Rica in Rainy Season
- 4 best AI Adult in Cancun and the Riviera
- 5 San Jose to Puerto Viejo Costa Rica and Hostel in San Jose
- 6 Guanajuato to Mexico City and Butterfly Sanctuary
- 7 Returning home
- 8 White hair in Valladolid....
- 9 Family trip to Costa Rica in December.
- 10 Please help with my Yucatan itinerary
- 11 Uber in Panama
- 12 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 13 Our CR Itinerary & a Spider Question
- 14 Shuttle Bus Service in Costa Rica
- 15 Mexico (Yucatan Peninsula) Non AL suggestions
- 16 4 days in Belize
- 17 Belize trip report-April 3-10th
- 18 Belize in Aug 25-Sep3
- 19 Luxury hotel off the beaten path?
- 20 An Afternoon In Guadalajara
- 21 Sayulita in September
- 22 Tulum Ruins
- 23 5 day belize itinerary
- 24 2 weeks in Costa Rica: Go North or South?
- 25 Copper Canyon