I've been toying in my mind with the idea of going to Guatemala. What's unorthodox about what I'm thinking is to spend 3 days in Guate and 2-3 days in Antigua Guatemala. Let me begin by saying that I tend to enjoy cities, soaking in their pulse, visiting museums, admiring architecture (from different periods) and learning about the history that formed the city to where it is today.
From what I can tell, Guatemala City seems to get a majority of people who recommend getting out of the city as quickly as possible, citing filth, pollution, crime. In the background of all these people though, there seems to be a minority who see the city's merits. I wonder if I might be part of the minority, because despite similar cited problems, I loved Mexico DF, for its architecture, warmth, at times grace/elegance and great food. (The only other Latin American city I've been to is Monterrey which I loved as well.) I realize comparing cities in Mexico vs. Guatemala may be like apples and oranges.
Anyhow, if I were to go for three days, I'd envision day one in the Zona Viva, the Museo Ixhchel and Popol Vuh in Zona 9; day two exploring the sights in the Zona 1; day three, either the museums/parque zoologico in Zona 13 or out to the ruins of Kaminaljuyu. I think I'd enjoy trying different restaurants in between.
Anyhow, I'd enjoy hearing some thoughts. DAN
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Avoiding mosquitos at all inclusive in Riviera Maya?
- 2 Need a 2 bedroom hotel room in Historical district
- 3 NEED HELP WITH DAY OF THE DEAD AND BUTTERFLIES TRIP
- 4 Traveling to Central America
- 5 Uncrowded Experience in Yucatan
- 6 Guatemala trip tribute Part II
- 7 30th wedding anniversary trip planning - Mexico
- 8 Getting around in Costa Rica
- 9 Two active couples looking for accommodations in Costa Rica
- 10 Costa Rica - Staying in Playa Hermosa??
- 11 Guanajuato
- 12 Costa Rica January
- 13 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 14 Shopping
- 15 Off the beaten path Playa Del Carmen
- 16 Yucatan travel guide recommendations
- 17 Driving in Belize
- 18 Mexico itinerary for 8-9 days
- 19 Guatemala trip tribute Part I
- 20 Roatan
- 21 Mexico City and...?
- 22 Nicaragua-avoid if you can
- 23 Isla Mujeres over Thanksgiving
- 24 First time to cabo helP??
- 25 driving colorado to costa rica