I've been toying in my mind with the idea of going to Guatemala. What's unorthodox about what I'm thinking is to spend 3 days in Guate and 2-3 days in Antigua Guatemala. Let me begin by saying that I tend to enjoy cities, soaking in their pulse, visiting museums, admiring architecture (from different periods) and learning about the history that formed the city to where it is today.
From what I can tell, Guatemala City seems to get a majority of people who recommend getting out of the city as quickly as possible, citing filth, pollution, crime. In the background of all these people though, there seems to be a minority who see the city's merits. I wonder if I might be part of the minority, because despite similar cited problems, I loved Mexico DF, for its architecture, warmth, at times grace/elegance and great food. (The only other Latin American city I've been to is Monterrey which I loved as well.) I realize comparing cities in Mexico vs. Guatemala may be like apples and oranges.
Anyhow, if I were to go for three days, I'd envision day one in the Zona Viva, the Museo Ixhchel and Popol Vuh in Zona 9; day two exploring the sights in the Zona 1; day three, either the museums/parque zoologico in Zona 13 or out to the ruins of Kaminaljuyu. I think I'd enjoy trying different restaurants in between.
Anyhow, I'd enjoy hearing some thoughts. DAN
I liked Mexico DF; might I like Guate too?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 2 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 3 Mexico City where to stay for 4 nights
- 4 Mexico City, Chiapas and Yucutan, too much??
- 5 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 6 Cancun-discounts.com
- 7 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 8 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 9 Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort and Spa in Cabo San Lucas
- 10 Apartment Finders
- 11 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 12 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 13 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 14 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 15 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 16 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 17 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 18 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 19 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 20 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 21 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 22 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 23 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 24 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 25 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old