I've been toying in my mind with the idea of going to Guatemala. What's unorthodox about what I'm thinking is to spend 3 days in Guate and 2-3 days in Antigua Guatemala. Let me begin by saying that I tend to enjoy cities, soaking in their pulse, visiting museums, admiring architecture (from different periods) and learning about the history that formed the city to where it is today.
From what I can tell, Guatemala City seems to get a majority of people who recommend getting out of the city as quickly as possible, citing filth, pollution, crime. In the background of all these people though, there seems to be a minority who see the city's merits. I wonder if I might be part of the minority, because despite similar cited problems, I loved Mexico DF, for its architecture, warmth, at times grace/elegance and great food. (The only other Latin American city I've been to is Monterrey which I loved as well.) I realize comparing cities in Mexico vs. Guatemala may be like apples and oranges.
Anyhow, if I were to go for three days, I'd envision day one in the Zona Viva, the Museo Ixhchel and Popol Vuh in Zona 9; day two exploring the sights in the Zona 1; day three, either the museums/parque zoologico in Zona 13 or out to the ruins of Kaminaljuyu. I think I'd enjoy trying different restaurants in between.
Anyhow, I'd enjoy hearing some thoughts. DAN
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 (U S) AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 2 (U S) AOL Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 AOL Tec*h SUPPORT
- 3 Need Help with Costa Rica
- 4 Cozumel airport transfers
- 5 Best plan - suggestions
- 6 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 7 Vacation choices
- 8 Puerto Vallarta
- 9 nicaragua-Rancho Santana
- 10 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 11 PV Questions about art, food, cooking classes!
- 12 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 13 Transportation between Granada, Nicaragua and Ometepe, Nicaragua
- 14 Old Town Puerto Vallarta May 2017
- 15 Isla Holbox - where did you stay?
- 16 Olmec Colossal Heads
- 17 Tour Guide - Mexico City
- 18 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 19 1/2 day excursions
- 20 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 21 Going with the flow - 16 days in Costa Rica
- 22 top 8 cenotes to visit
- 23 Our recent trip to Costa Rica
- 24 San Miguel trivia
- 25 Where to stay in Cayo District