I've been toying in my mind with the idea of going to Guatemala. What's unorthodox about what I'm thinking is to spend 3 days in Guate and 2-3 days in Antigua Guatemala. Let me begin by saying that I tend to enjoy cities, soaking in their pulse, visiting museums, admiring architecture (from different periods) and learning about the history that formed the city to where it is today.
From what I can tell, Guatemala City seems to get a majority of people who recommend getting out of the city as quickly as possible, citing filth, pollution, crime. In the background of all these people though, there seems to be a minority who see the city's merits. I wonder if I might be part of the minority, because despite similar cited problems, I loved Mexico DF, for its architecture, warmth, at times grace/elegance and great food. (The only other Latin American city I've been to is Monterrey which I loved as well.) I realize comparing cities in Mexico vs. Guatemala may be like apples and oranges.
Anyhow, if I were to go for three days, I'd envision day one in the Zona Viva, the Museo Ixhchel and Popol Vuh in Zona 9; day two exploring the sights in the Zona 1; day three, either the museums/parque zoologico in Zona 13 or out to the ruins of Kaminaljuyu. I think I'd enjoy trying different restaurants in between.
Anyhow, I'd enjoy hearing some thoughts. DAN
I liked Mexico DF; might I like Guate too?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Food poisoning?
- 2 Maya Riviera to Belize or Costa Rica or Panama?
- 3 The product is really effective in reducing
- 4 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 5 Should we cancel our vacation to Mexico in December?
- 6 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 7 Mexico City
- 8 Do we need special insurance or driver's license for rental car in Mexico
- 9 Costa Rica with a 8 year old boy?
- 10 Bus service from San Jose´ del Cabo to Totos Santos
- 11 Cruise with a 10 month old to Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico,and key west.
- 12 Flores to Chetumal by road without crossing through Belize
- 13 Central America travel over New Year's
- 14 Costa Rica after 15 years update me on driving
- 15 Lodging in Costa Rica in January
- 16 Thoughts on Cayo District tours/accommodation options
- 17 Place to have a wedding in May near Cancun
- 18 43 Missing Students in Mexico
- 19 Costa Rica help
- 20 Cancun car rental/emd3 plus others help!
- 21 1 week in Panama - how does this sound?
- 22 7-8 Days in Panama. Suggested Itinerary?
- 23 Hopefulist in Guatemala 2014 (#3)
- 24 Costa Rica will include airport tax in ticket price
- 25 Belize in June?