I've been toying in my mind with the idea of going to Guatemala. What's unorthodox about what I'm thinking is to spend 3 days in Guate and 2-3 days in Antigua Guatemala. Let me begin by saying that I tend to enjoy cities, soaking in their pulse, visiting museums, admiring architecture (from different periods) and learning about the history that formed the city to where it is today.
From what I can tell, Guatemala City seems to get a majority of people who recommend getting out of the city as quickly as possible, citing filth, pollution, crime. In the background of all these people though, there seems to be a minority who see the city's merits. I wonder if I might be part of the minority, because despite similar cited problems, I loved Mexico DF, for its architecture, warmth, at times grace/elegance and great food. (The only other Latin American city I've been to is Monterrey which I loved as well.) I realize comparing cities in Mexico vs. Guatemala may be like apples and oranges.
Anyhow, if I were to go for three days, I'd envision day one in the Zona Viva, the Museo Ixhchel and Popol Vuh in Zona 9; day two exploring the sights in the Zona 1; day three, either the museums/parque zoologico in Zona 13 or out to the ruins of Kaminaljuyu. I think I'd enjoy trying different restaurants in between.
Anyhow, I'd enjoy hearing some thoughts. DAN
I liked Mexico DF; might I like Guate too?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 2 thinking of changing itinerary in CR-need feedback
- 3 Finalizing Graduation trip for granddaughter
- 4 Best country to deep sea fish in May?
- 5 Riviera Maya or Puerto Vallarta
- 6 Looking for suggestions for Mexico beach vacation
- 7 Tlaquepaque and Colima - December 2014
- 8 Lovin' Costa Rica with Kids
- 9 Cheap One Man Trip to Mexico
- 10 Cabo San Lucas - December end 2014
- 11 Need help with airport transfer in Mexico
- 12 Belize Itinerary help!
- 13 Food allergy awareness in Cancun, mexico
- 14 Driving in "inner" mexico; is it safe?
- 15 Costa Rica Travel
- 16 Planning Mexico by February
- 17 Costa Rica best river rafting company
- 18 Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua or Costa Rica for a photography buff?
- 19 A Week in Montezuma
- 20 Mexico City Restaurant Recommendations
- 21 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 22 Book set in Panama
- 23 Puerto Vallarta trip Nov 2014
- 24 THE WESTIN LAGUNAMAR OCEAN RESORT VILLAS & SPA, CANCUN
- 25 Rental car at Liberia Airport