We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Cabo San Lucas
- 2 Bringing clothes and fabric to Puerto vallarta
- 3 Mexico City, DF Restaurant
- 4 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 5 Costa Rica for 9 days in Dec
- 6 tours to gatun locks panama
- 7 Trip ideas needed please
- 8 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 9 Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for boogie boarding and hotel recs
- 10 Hopefulist in Guatemala (again) 2014
- 11 Belize vs. Costa Rica
- 12 our detailed report from manuel antonio
- 13 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 14 Mex City Restaurant
- 15 Guidebook for Oaxaca
- 16 costa rica in two weeks
- 17 Airport policy for departures in Costa Rica
- 18 Cancun Hotel
- 19 Any recommendations for activities or adventures for kids in Riviera Maya
- 20 When to go to the Yucatán or to Puerta Vallarta
- 21 Cuernavaca
- 22 sales tax in Mexico
- 23 Alamo Car rental Liberia Costa Rica
- 24 Guide to Nicaraguan festivals and events
- 25 Labor Day Weekend Trip to Mexico