We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Park Royal Cozumel or El Cantil?
- 2 Suze: Can you tell me about your trips to Puerta Vallarta?
- 3 Mesón Sacristía cooking school/hotel stay. Anyone done it?
- 4 Guatemala customs question
- 5 buying silver jewelry in cancun
- 6 Just back from CR for my 50th. Expected alot and got more than I hoped for!
- 7 Costa Rica Trip Itinerary
- 8 Costa Rica questions
- 9 Damas Mangrove Tour vs. Cano Negro
- 10 Single Girl 50's looking for AI in Costa Rica
- 11 Wanna be Expats!!! Can we move to Mexico sooner? Work? Elsewhere?
- 12 Playa Del Carmen/Tulum "Dreams or Paradisus?"
- 13 Rainy season
- 14 Food safety while traveling in Guatemala
- 15 Hopefulist in Honduras and Guatemala, June/July 2014
- 16 Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go??
- 17 booking rooms for spring break
- 18 5th Trip CR with Teenagers-Bosque Del Cabo and Iguana Lodge June '14
- 19 3 extra hours in Mexico City airport, any shopping malls nearby?
- 20 Car Rental in Costa Rica
- 21 Playa Del Carmen Day Tours
- 22 Riu Santa Fe vs Palace
- 23 Jaco to Montezuma ferry- has anyone taken it??
- 24 30 Reasons Why You Should Visit Cozumel (in pictures)
- 25 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip