We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Family vacation in beautiful, blissful Belize
- 2 Tubing in Belize
- 3 lodging in lima and cuzco, peru
- 4 Cuzco, Peru - Altitude sickness is it always a problem there?
- 5 Traveling to Mexico City in April and need guidance
- 6 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 7 Beach Erosion in Playa del Carmen??
- 8 Gunacaste All Inclusive
- 9 La Casa Que Canta versus Capella Ixtapa
- 10 Costa Rica Pacific Highlands and Coast-Feb 2015
- 11 Showers with butterflies on the OSA & Quetzal near Poas: CR TR
- 12 Looking for a Romantic Beach Bungalow in Riviera Maya
- 13 Looking for member reviews of Gran Caribe Real in Cancun
- 14 Glover continues on to Mexico (after Colombia)
- 15 13 nights in Costa Rica Itinerary
- 16 celebration in Huatulco - Villa Pacifico or VillaBlanca or other? Help please
- 17 Fairmont Mayakoba and Playa del Carmen Trip Report
- 18 Belize, Roatan or Cozumel: which is best snorkeling?
- 19 Last minute Cancun trip must do's?
- 20 A hotel on the beach in Tamarindo
- 21 Have airfare, am wishy washy on where to stay!-Costa Rica
- 22 cost of private car between different places in Costa Rica
- 23 A great destination in Costa Rica: the Osa Peninsula and Bosque del Cabo
- 24 Looking for Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Help
- 25 Third Party Liability Insurance Car rental Mexico