We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 2 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 3 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 4 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 5 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 6 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 7 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 8 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 9 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 10 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 11 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 12 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 13 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 14 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 15 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 16 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 17 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 18 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 19 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 20 Looking for Belize itinerary planning suggestions
- 21 Family Vacation, Caribbean Costa Rica and Panama
- 22 Hopefulist in Belize, 2014
- 23 International connectons through San Pedro Sula or Panama City
- 24 Looking for a resort similar to excellence playa Mujeres
- 25 Mi tocaya y yo en Panama