We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 First time to Mexico - GTO and SMA General questions
- 2 Osa Peninsula
- 3 [Nicaragua] Non-surfing beaches near San Juan Del Sur
- 4 car needed for trip to Yucatan?
- 5 Costa Rica- 1 week September
- 6 2 weeks in Mexico
- 7 Merida-where to stay
- 8 Honeymoon Planning - help wanted!
- 9 Spanish School In Quetzaltenango
- 10 Hopefulist in Guatemala, Spring 2015
- 11 Cancun AI - best beach? please help
- 12 Last minute Cancun trip must do's?
- 13 Sun, Sand and the Yucatan
- 14 Where should we spend four nights in Maya Riviera?
- 15 ADO Bus Ticket Question
- 16 Injury on the Belize Zip- need legal advice
- 17 Panama-like canal in the near future for Nicaragua?
- 18 Advice desired for a family trip to costa rica
- 19 help with getting from to Oaxaca to Merida via bus- w/ stops, of course!
- 20 What's the best hotel in the Caribbean Coast of Costa Rica?
- 21 SFO to Mexico_5 days total
- 22 CasaMagana Marriott Puerto Vallart
- 23 Family Fun in Dominical-Trip Report
- 24 Solo Female traveler in Mexico- please review my rough itinerary
- 25 Tamarindo, Costa Rica, in July
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?