We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 16 Nights Mexico - Must Do??
- 2 Pura Vida Trip Report
- 3 Beach for kids in CR
- 4 February Vacation Destination with Young Kids
- 5 spa resort: HELP Cabo or Costa Rica?
- 6 Fiesta de Carnaval on Ambergris Caye
- 7 Costa Rica itinerary
- 8 Oscar y Lalos is no longer on the beach - time to update the guidebook
- 9 Suggestions needed for a family trip on the cheap
- 10 Four days in Panama.. Where to get out of the city before coming back?
- 11 2 months in nicaragua - solo female
- 12 HoneyMoon - Gutemala - Mexico
- 13 Timeshare Presentation For Deep Discount On A Resort Worth It???
- 14 DF: Any's Hostal vs Dos Fridas y Diego re location
- 15 Costa Rica - First trip itinerary, jaguar rescue center visit
- 16 Puerto Vallarta Nov 2015 edition
- 17 La Fortuna via Poas
- 18 Riviera Maya: Five Days of Peace & Plenty
- 19 Costa Rica - Arenal & Tamarindo questions
- 20 Sleeping At San Jose Airport
- 21 Entering Guatemala on a One-Way Ticket
- 22 Wonderful Memories with Granddaughter
- 23 Yet another Costa Rica question!
- 24 E. Coast Mexican resort good for teens?
- 25 Cobo San Lucas For The Day
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?