We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Ideas for activities in Riviera Maya vicinity
- 2 Ideas for month travel
- 3 Carnival 2017 in Panama City
- 4 Driving in Mexico
- 5 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 6 Cancun - low key beach suggestions
- 7 Moon Palace in Cancun
- 8 Best driving routes in Costa Rica
- 9 Driving in CR
- 10 Rental car - Lost driver's license! Help!
- 11 Sirena Station hike Drake Bay
- 12 unsafe?
- 13 Five Nights in Mexico City: A July Travel Fix
- 14 One week home-stay/ language school during hoilday
- 15 Help choosing Spanish course - Mexico / Guatemala?
- 16 Nicaragua-avoid if you can
- 17 Riviera Maya driving safety
- 18 Belize With Baby & Toddler
- 19 Terrible location for Ocean Maya Royale
- 20 Bosque Del Cabo/Corcovado
- 21 Another question re. Merida car hire - Unirent?
- 22 Non tourist beach in December
- 23 Sending things back home.
- 24 Back from Isla Mujeres
- 25 How many nights Santa Elena / CI / Valladolid?
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?