We are planning a week long beach getaway at the end of May. We have been to Riviera Maya a couple of times before but not in recent years. With all the violence we hear about in Mexico, how safe is it to travel there? I know that once we are in a resort, it's probably not an issue, but we would not like to stay in Cancun and I remember that in the past we always arrived in the evening and had at least an hour drive down to our resort at night with resorts on one side of the road and wilderness on the other. Is that trip still OK to take? Are there any precautions we should take?
Also, last time we stayed at one of Barcelo Maya (I think Beach) all-inclusive places and it was fine, nice balance of cost and comfort. Is there a nicer all inclusive resort that you can recommend within the same price range or perhaps just a little more expensive but not much more?
Any information on either subject would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
How safe is Riviera Maya? All inclusive resort recommendation?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 2 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 3 Puerto Vallarta Favorites
- 4 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 5 White water rafting the Pacuare River April
- 6 April trip to Puerto Vallarta with two young children-- suggestions?
- 7 Mexico region question
- 8 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 9 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 10 Costa Rica best use of 9 full days with young kids!
- 11 Costa rica help
- 12 car rental companies
- 13 Roatan safety and other suggestions?
- 14 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 15 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 16 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 17 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 18 cozumel tennis
- 19 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR
- 20 Panama - Best Place for Outdoor Activities?
- 21 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 22 Baja California
- 23 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 24 All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico
- 25 Transportation from Osa to Arenal and hotel in SJ