I am cruising from Tampa in Nov. and 2 of the ports are Guatemala and Costa Maya. It will be my husband, daughter (11) and my parents in their late 70's. They enjoy staying on the ship while in port, so not to concerned with what they will do! I am unsure of what to do in Santo Tomas de Castilla (Guatemala) and Costa Maya. Everything I read seems as if it is a little "unsafe" in Guatemala, and since we have our daughter I want to be cautious yet see something there. Any suggestions? We love the outdoors, any type of water sport and just seeing how the people live there. Not sure if I should travel to far away from the port? Same with Costa Maya, want something fun, that gives us an idea of the culture there and how the people live, yet don't want to stray to far in case it is not the safest place. Any help would be appreciated. I have looked into the shore excursions through the ship (HAL Ryndam) but not much offered especially in Guatemala. In other ports, we have done our own thing, without booking through the ship, not sure if should do this there though. Thank you, thank you!
Help with shore excursions in Guatemala and Costa Maya
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Playa del Carmen
- 2 Riviera Maya - Where to Stay?
- 3 if we do bosque del cabo-where else can we go that is nearby?
- 4 hotels in oaxaca centro historico
- 5 Labor Day Weekend Weather in Playa Del Carmen
- 6 loved la carolina lodge-what are similar spots in cr?
- 7 Panama in October
- 8 Hotel or House in Tulum?
- 9 Costa Rica First Trip -- Help
- 10 Red Frog Beach Resort or Popa Paradise (or another option?)
- 11 Driving & Camping in Baja California
- 12 Monteverde from Liberia
- 13 Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go??
- 14 Costa Rica: Mal Pais or Manuel Antonio?
- 15 San Jose, Costa Rica
- 16 mayan ruins family trip
- 17 Puerto Vallarta - charm and low key
- 18 Cancun / Playa del Carmen with Young Kids
- 19 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 20 Car Rental in Costa Rica
- 21 Do I need an SUV for riviera maya vacation
- 22 Costa Rica Vacation
- 23 travel blog Costa Rica, Aruba and more
- 24 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 25 Stay for a night in cancun before 14 days at beach house near tulum?