OK confusion is setting in.
We are traveling in Guatemala for 2-3 weeks, ending up in Belize for week or so in Jan and Feb. I have most of the Guat. portion sorted out.
SO I am trying to get from the border of Guat/Belize near Tikal to some place that will allow us to explore the caves (been to Barton Creek) and a little hiking. Don't need the beach, we will get there, plus we would have already had several days of lakes. AND need budget friendly accomodations, preferrably under $100 - Belize is much more expensive than the Guat portion. Our hotels in Guat are running $45-$65 per night, inc taxes and breakfast.
Originally I had considered just flying from Flores, Guatemala to Belize and end our trip with a week back on Ambergris (we have friends meeting us here). Then I thought maybe head across the border from Tikal stop in and say Hi to the folks at Cahal Pech, stay the night and head on to AC, but we have already been here and we really want to see some different areas of Belize. Even considered boating across from Guatemala to Placencia.
I think we really want to do the Caves Branch tubing or such. Add in a little hiking, etc.
HOWEVER - I do not want to pay the prices of Anderson's Caves Branch or Jaguar Paw. Remember we will be traveling for approx one month, I must keep the hotel prices down - WAY down.
Do I need to be looking at hotels in Belmopan or would Hopkins area work?
And what is our best way to get from the Guat border to this location? Can we rent a car in San Ignacio, drop it off in Belize City? Should we bus or hire a driver?
Can some one point me in the right direction? I think I am experiencing planning overload!!!!!
Certainly appreciate it!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Travel Guatemala City to Panajachel
- 2 Interjet Airline
- 3 One week in CR...stay in one area or divide time
- 4 One month surf and yoga
- 5 Azul five, Grand Velas or Grand Palladium resorts??
- 6 Airport Shuttle in Mazatlan
- 7 Returning home
- 8 Our first trip to Mexico-It won't be our last!
- 9 Family trip to Costa Rica in December.
- 10 Which beach location (w/ small kids)?
- 11 Dr Simon Andrew Casey - Want to know about Mexican Culture ??
- 12 Cancun all inclusive
- 13 Ticket changes for Tikal - buy in advance at Banrural bank
- 14 Suggested destinations, Yucatan Peninsula, Xmas/NYE.
- 15 Advice Needed For a Trip to Belize
- 16 Your favorite Mayan sites?
- 17 Destination similar to Puerto Vallarta
- 18 Expired Mexican Passport going to Mexico
- 19 Recommendations for family vacation in Puerto Vallarta or other ideas???
- 20 White hair in Valladolid....
- 21 Roatan
- 22 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 23 Puerto Vallarta Easter Weekend 2017
- 24 Driving Time
- 25 Guanajuato
OK confusion is setting in.