I'm wondering what are normal gratuity amounts in Costa Rica. People I think we might want to tip:
- We will have 3 different drivers for longish drives. Airport to Arenal area, Arenal to Manuel Antonio, and MA to airport. What would be a good tip?
- Tour guides on lots of different tours. There are 4 of us in our group, 2 adults and 2 children. Near Arenal, we are doing Hanging Bridges, SkyTrek, Proyecto Asis sanctuary, and Safari Float tour. We will also be doing activities at Club Rio at The Springs. Should I tip for all of these? I think yes... But maybe not sure about Club Rio somehow since that is part of the resort. At MA, we are just doing white water rafting and surf lessons. The surf lessons we are already paying in cash, so I don't know if the instructor works for himself in which case a tip would be sort of redundant.
- We will be getting transportation to most or all of the tours we are doing. I think some include transportation, and for the others transportation has been arranged by our concierges. Should I tip these drivers?
- Finally, our concierges have been very helpful. Should we tip them (I think so) and if so, about how much?
I know tipping is always optional and the amounts should vary by person and how well the experience goes, but I'm sort of looking for a general guideline.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Is it crazy to go in August?
- 2 Help! Should I go to Central America during the rainy season?
- 3 Mexico City over Christmas
- 4 Best time of year for Mexico City/Puebla?
- 5 Need Help with Costa Rica
- 6 info needed on NW Mexico trip
- 7 Tulum Beachfront Lodging with Tweens
- 8 Cozumel airport transfers
- 9 Best plan - suggestions
- 10 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 11 Vacation choices
- 12 Puerto Vallarta
- 13 nicaragua-Rancho Santana
- 14 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 15 PV Questions about art, food, cooking classes!
- 16 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 17 Transportation between Granada, Nicaragua and Ometepe, Nicaragua
- 18 Old Town Puerto Vallarta May 2017
- 19 Isla Holbox - where did you stay?
- 20 Olmec Colossal Heads
- 21 Tour Guide - Mexico City
- 22 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 23 1/2 day excursions
- 24 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 25 Going with the flow - 16 days in Costa Rica
Gratuities in Costa Rica - drivers, concierge, tour guides