My husband and I just returned from a very invigorating, much needed getaway vacation in the Bay Islands of Honduras. We flew in from Florida to Roatan and spent two nights there. For all of the hype and promotional, Roatan and specifically west Bay and West End were over priced and nothing interesting or out of the ordinary Roatan ‘s beaches were fair at best cloudy and lots of sea grass. We next continued on to Guanaja our final destination for the Carnival and stayed at the Guanaja Island Club. This was a really delightful place to stay. First, we met at the airport by Brian and his family the whisked off by boat back to the Resort and had an open pit fired seafood dinner it was lovely. Our accommodations were spacious, clean and very comfortable. We had a spectacular view of Michaels Rock and the sea from out front window. During our stay we went diving a few times with Brian. He is a very good guide and obviously knows his business well. We enjoyed our three days of the diving with him. Since this was carnival we dove and fished during the mornings and went to the party zones in the late afternoons. Mangrove Bight, The Key, Savannah and the Lighthouse beach. It was lots of fun and the local folks were friendly and living it up quite nicely. Meals at the Resort were always large and tasty. I love the seafood especially the stemmed shrimp and conch. Bar drinks had a good amount of liquor in them and they were cheap compared to Roatan, Florida and the Bahamas.
Follow up on Guanja Carnival
View all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 San Miguel De Allende
- 2 Off on a Home Exchange to San Jose Costa Rica
- 3 Staying in Cozumel - Is Chichen Itza worth the trip?
- 4 Need a suggestion for Thankgiving dinner in P de C
- 5 Adopt an animal donation?
- 6 Liberia Airport to Samara
- 7 Need alternate airport for mexican pyramids
- 8 Costa Rica: Itinerary and some questions
- 9 Belize jungle lodge -- please help choose
- 10 Brief trip report: Northern Honduras (Pico Bonito)
- 11 help with 8 days of rainforest, beach and adventure in Costa Rica
- 12 Backpack vs Wheels
- 13 Belize -- several questions -- please help!
- 14 TC's Cozumel List -- Updated 2/2011
- 15 Tour company to help plan trip to El Salvador and Nicaragua
- 16 Help with 5 days touring time
- 17 Costa Rica trip in March
- 18 Safety in Ixtapa
- 19 5 Day Belize Trip - Need Suggestions
- 20 Puerto Viejo Lodging
- 21 Cabo San Lucas
- 22 Guatemala City Airport to Antigua by car & other helpful hints
- 23 Roatan advice
- 24 Best Beach Resort For Snorkeling Mexicos West Coast
- 25 Isla Mujeres, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen for best swimming and snorkeling?