I will be in Costa Rica in a couple weeks, and for the second leg of my journey, I will be driving from Liberia to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area to visit a friend of mine that lives there. I have reserved a Toyota 4Runner 4x4 for the trip, but have been a little more concerned lately about what the conditions will be like. I am, and have been told to expect rough, muddy roads, and possibly some river crossings?? I will be taking the HWY 21 through Santa Cruz and then onto Hwy160 through Cobano and onto Mal Pais. So my Questions are here...
1. Is this the best route to take for the best roads that can be had for this time of year?
2. Will the vehicle I have rented be adequate for this trip?
3. What extra equipment should I have in my vehicle for the conditions?
4. Am I really crazy to do this, alone, during the rainy season?
Driving the Nicoya Peninsula in August
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 2 Playa del Carmen
- 3 Villahermosa, Tabasco to San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas
- 4 Bicycle riding in La Pas Mexico
- 5 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 6 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 7 if we do bosque del cabo-where else can we go that is nearby?
- 8 Labor Day Weekend Weather in Playa Del Carmen
- 9 tours to gatun locks panama
- 10 Panama in October
- 11 Riviera Maya - Where to Stay?
- 12 hotels in oaxaca centro historico
- 13 loved la carolina lodge-what are similar spots in cr?
- 14 Hotel or House in Tulum?
- 15 Costa Rica First Trip -- Help
- 16 Red Frog Beach Resort or Popa Paradise (or another option?)
- 17 Driving & Camping in Baja California
- 18 Monteverde from Liberia
- 19 Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go??
- 20 Costa Rica: Mal Pais or Manuel Antonio?
- 21 San Jose, Costa Rica
- 22 mayan ruins family trip
- 23 Puerto Vallarta - charm and low key
- 24 Cancun / Playa del Carmen with Young Kids
- 25 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!