I will be in Costa Rica in a couple weeks, and for the second leg of my journey, I will be driving from Liberia to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area to visit a friend of mine that lives there. I have reserved a Toyota 4Runner 4x4 for the trip, but have been a little more concerned lately about what the conditions will be like. I am, and have been told to expect rough, muddy roads, and possibly some river crossings?? I will be taking the HWY 21 through Santa Cruz and then onto Hwy160 through Cobano and onto Mal Pais. So my Questions are here...
1. Is this the best route to take for the best roads that can be had for this time of year?
2. Will the vehicle I have rented be adequate for this trip?
3. What extra equipment should I have in my vehicle for the conditions?
4. Am I really crazy to do this, alone, during the rainy season?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 best AI Adult in Cancun and the Riviera
- 2 San Jose to Puerto Viejo Costa Rica and Hostel in San Jose
- 3 Guanajuato to Mexico City and Butterfly Sanctuary
- 4 Returning home
- 5 White hair in Valladolid....
- 6 Family trip to Costa Rica in December.
- 7 Please help with my Yucatan itinerary
- 8 Uber in Panama
- 9 Costa Rica in summer (end July/early August) with kids
- 10 Our CR Itinerary & a Spider Question
- 11 Shuttle Bus Service in Costa Rica
- 12 Mexico (Yucatan Peninsula) Non AL suggestions
- 13 4 days in Belize
- 14 Belize trip report-April 3-10th
- 15 Belize in Aug 25-Sep3
- 16 Luxury hotel off the beaten path?
- 17 An Afternoon In Guadalajara
- 18 Sayulita in September
- 19 Tulum Ruins
- 20 5 day belize itinerary
- 21 2 weeks in Costa Rica: Go North or South?
- 22 Copper Canyon
- 23 Azul five, Grand Velas or Grand Palladium resorts??
- 24 JW Marriott Rio Hto
- 25 Recommended itinerary for 3 days in Mexico city and 3 days in Merida.