I will be in Costa Rica in a couple weeks, and for the second leg of my journey, I will be driving from Liberia to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area to visit a friend of mine that lives there. I have reserved a Toyota 4Runner 4x4 for the trip, but have been a little more concerned lately about what the conditions will be like. I am, and have been told to expect rough, muddy roads, and possibly some river crossings?? I will be taking the HWY 21 through Santa Cruz and then onto Hwy160 through Cobano and onto Mal Pais. So my Questions are here...
1. Is this the best route to take for the best roads that can be had for this time of year?
2. Will the vehicle I have rented be adequate for this trip?
3. What extra equipment should I have in my vehicle for the conditions?
4. Am I really crazy to do this, alone, during the rainy season?
Driving the Nicoya Peninsula in August
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 car rental companies
- 2 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 3 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 4 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 5 cozumel tennis
- 6 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR
- 7 Panama - Best Place for Outdoor Activities?
- 8 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 9 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 10 Baja California
- 11 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 12 Mexico region question
- 13 All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico
- 14 Transportation from Osa to Arenal and hotel in SJ
- 15 help with travel plans 10 days Costa Rica in April
- 16 Suggestions for birthday celebration in or around Samara
- 17 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 18 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 19 Semana Santa itinerary
- 20 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 21 San Jose del cabo
- 22 Camera Suggestion for Use in Costa Rica Rainforest
- 23 Help planning romantic getaway for my wife to CR or Mexico
- 24 Mexico City! Nice Hotel Within Walking Distance Of Chapultepec Park
- 25 Kiteboarding in Belize