I will be in Costa Rica in a couple weeks, and for the second leg of my journey, I will be driving from Liberia to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area to visit a friend of mine that lives there. I have reserved a Toyota 4Runner 4x4 for the trip, but have been a little more concerned lately about what the conditions will be like. I am, and have been told to expect rough, muddy roads, and possibly some river crossings?? I will be taking the HWY 21 through Santa Cruz and then onto Hwy160 through Cobano and onto Mal Pais. So my Questions are here...
1. Is this the best route to take for the best roads that can be had for this time of year?
2. Will the vehicle I have rented be adequate for this trip?
3. What extra equipment should I have in my vehicle for the conditions?
4. Am I really crazy to do this, alone, during the rainy season?
Driving the Nicoya Peninsula in August
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 driving question
- 2 coffee plantation tour gautemela
- 3 bosque del cabo or private house in matapalo??
- 4 Ho, Ho, Oaxaca
- 5 Looking for Info on Coba Schools
- 6 Departure tax
- 7 questions on a few Nicaragua logistics
- 8 Zipline at Arenal or Monteverde
- 9 Activities in Tamarindo, Guanacaste
- 10 HELP! Need a Guide for a Day in Managua
- 11 Guatemala suggested itinery/transport/etc
- 12 Costa Rica first timers
- 13 Bringing snacks into Mexico
- 14 Costa Rica: Drive from Arenal to Guanacaste via Monteverde
- 15 MEX to Polanco hotel? Taxi?
- 16 Spanish School in Tulum, Mexico
- 17 OAXACA markets….question or two..guide?
- 18 think twice before using expedia
- 19 Meztli Spanish School in Tulum, Mexico
- 20 best places in Baja
- 21 Beachfront in Tulum
- 22 Belize, first time
- 23 las palapas/mahekal???? Looking for quiet AI in Mexico???
- 24 How far a drive from Playa Grande to Riu Palace?
- 25 Catamaran Sailing in Costa Rica & Questions Answered