I will be in Costa Rica in a couple weeks, and for the second leg of my journey, I will be driving from Liberia to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area to visit a friend of mine that lives there. I have reserved a Toyota 4Runner 4x4 for the trip, but have been a little more concerned lately about what the conditions will be like. I am, and have been told to expect rough, muddy roads, and possibly some river crossings?? I will be taking the HWY 21 through Santa Cruz and then onto Hwy160 through Cobano and onto Mal Pais. So my Questions are here...
1. Is this the best route to take for the best roads that can be had for this time of year?
2. Will the vehicle I have rented be adequate for this trip?
3. What extra equipment should I have in my vehicle for the conditions?
4. Am I really crazy to do this, alone, during the rainy season?
Driving the Nicoya Peninsula in August
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 2 Puerto Vallarta Favorites
- 3 Tamarindo CR = best for us?
- 4 White water rafting the Pacuare River April
- 5 Exotic birds migrating locations
- 6 Looking for a quiet vacation spot on the Caribbean side of Mexico
- 7 Riu vs Westin?
- 8 Sim card and power
- 9 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 10 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 11 April trip to Puerto Vallarta with two young children-- suggestions?
- 12 Mexico region question
- 13 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 14 April trip to Costa Rica/Panama...your opinions please.
- 15 Costa Rica best use of 9 full days with young kids!
- 16 Costa rica help
- 17 car rental companies
- 18 Roatan safety and other suggestions?
- 19 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 20 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 21 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 22 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 23 cozumel tennis
- 24 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR
- 25 Panama - Best Place for Outdoor Activities?