I will be in Costa Rica in a couple weeks, and for the second leg of my journey, I will be driving from Liberia to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa area to visit a friend of mine that lives there. I have reserved a Toyota 4Runner 4x4 for the trip, but have been a little more concerned lately about what the conditions will be like. I am, and have been told to expect rough, muddy roads, and possibly some river crossings?? I will be taking the HWY 21 through Santa Cruz and then onto Hwy160 through Cobano and onto Mal Pais. So my Questions are here...
1. Is this the best route to take for the best roads that can be had for this time of year?
2. Will the vehicle I have rented be adequate for this trip?
3. What extra equipment should I have in my vehicle for the conditions?
4. Am I really crazy to do this, alone, during the rainy season?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 https://beaudermaskincare.com/neuactive/
- 2 Getting to Chelem from Merida Airport
- 3 live from PV !
- 4 Belize itinerary help
- 5 Help choosing Spanish course / immersion in Southern Mexico
- 6 Heads up; Diversion pick pocket Cabo
- 7 Mexico
- 8 Nicaragua - Hurricane Nate damage??
- 9 Belize planning help
- 10 Another Yucatan trip report
- 11 Safe to drive in Cabo?
- 12 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 13 Puerto Vallarta & Vicinity
- 14 2017 SMA Trip
- 15 Panama Canal transit - Panama to Costa Rica or reverse?
- 16 Recommended Mexico City Guidebook?
- 17 Honeymoon in January 2018
- 18 7 days in Costa Rica - Itinerary suggestions wanted
- 19 Mineral De Pozos mini-trip report
- 20 1 month in Puerto Vallarta
- 21 OK to travel to Zihua and Ixtapa?
- 22 US Citizen leaving Mexico without Passport
- 23 Bocas ??
- 24 Young Couple Looking for a Vacation Destination
- 25 San Luis Potosi & La Huasteca