I'm 28, female and live in the UK. I have vacation time in May (can't take any June-September due to my line of work) and am considering going to Costa Rica. It's been a lifelong dream to visit Latin America but I've never had the money or the time and it's getting to the stage where I just want to get there! What's put me off up to this point is that I've never considered it 'worthwhile' to go for just a week or two, given the cost of the flights and the flying time. I always wanted to go for 2-3 months. However I've realised that I'm probably never going to have the money to do this, not in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. So perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just GO?
I'm leading towards Costa Rica because it seems to be thought of as one of the safer Latin American countries for female visitors, and I'm interested in seeing the nature there. I was thinking of going in late April or May. Is this a good/bad time to go? I have a good level of Spanish, but it's rusty and I really, really want to meet local people and practise. I was considering doing a week-long language course in San Jose and staying with a host family, but perhaps there are other ways of doing this? I would be looking at going for around 10 days in total, including 2 weekends.
Am I crazy? Or could the idea be a goer?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Playa Del Carmen All Inclusive with party atmosphere?
- 2 Best resort for our situation?
- 3 Beware of these Scammers!
- 4 Chef/Cater in El Valle, Panama
- 5 Great Infographic on SportFishing in Costa Rica
- 6 ADO or other bus booking questions
- 7 Two weeks in Panama, a new adventure...
- 8 Driver needed for Panama City
- 9 Manuel Antonio - Private Villa or Tulemar?
- 10 Tikal
- 11 Transportation to hotel from airport
- 12 Bosque Del Cabo one week or split with Iguana Lodge
- 13 Belize - need help with planning our 10 days
- 14 Tour/Excursion operators Arenal & Manuel Antonio
- 15 Sarah's Cozy Casita's/Playa Coronado
- 16 Belize-how many days for beach and jungle
- 17 Best bus service from Queretero to San Miguel d"Alende
- 18 Sunday bus schedule hours
- 19 Need help w/mother/daughter 3 day side excursion
- 20 Visit to Xela, Antigua, Atitlan
- 21 Glover's ongoing report on Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua
- 22 Iberostar Club Membership Sales Pitch
- 23 Help with excursions from Black Rock Lodge
- 24 STAY AWAY FROM AMERICA CAR RENTAL!!
- 25 Belize, Rotaan, Cozumel - WHAT TO DO?? HELP!!