I'm 28, female and live in the UK. I have vacation time in May (can't take any June-September due to my line of work) and am considering going to Costa Rica. It's been a lifelong dream to visit Latin America but I've never had the money or the time and it's getting to the stage where I just want to get there! What's put me off up to this point is that I've never considered it 'worthwhile' to go for just a week or two, given the cost of the flights and the flying time. I always wanted to go for 2-3 months. However I've realised that I'm probably never going to have the money to do this, not in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. So perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just GO?
I'm leading towards Costa Rica because it seems to be thought of as one of the safer Latin American countries for female visitors, and I'm interested in seeing the nature there. I was thinking of going in late April or May. Is this a good/bad time to go? I have a good level of Spanish, but it's rusty and I really, really want to meet local people and practise. I was considering doing a week-long language course in San Jose and staying with a host family, but perhaps there are other ways of doing this? I would be looking at going for around 10 days in total, including 2 weekends.
Am I crazy? Or could the idea be a goer?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Rain all week
- 2 Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$
- 3 Nicest All inclusive for young children
- 4 Central america with 6 yr old.
- 5 Amazing..
- 6 Land Border & Monterrey to Mexican Language School & Side Trips
- 7 Costa Rica in Christmas 2016
- 8 Layover in San Salvador
- 9 day trips from Mexico City
- 10 Destination for 3 kids under 5 - Cancun?
- 11 help from a Panamanian
- 12 Dynamic Airways = LAX to Cancun
- 13 Hotel Recommendation for Riviera Maya please help!
- 14 Cancun Beach Snorkeling 6/2016
- 15 Playa del carmen - airbnb
- 16 Looking for Good Remote Study Location
- 17 advice for costa rica about tennagers .
- 18 Pearl Keys
- 19 Transportation from the Royal Playa Del Carmen to Iberostar Grand Pariso
- 20 Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?
- 21 Niaragua Adventures: Beware of the Small Print
- 22 Grand sunset princess (playa del carmen)
- 23 Picky traveler looking for a hidden gem
- 24 Honeymoon in mid-September?
- 25 Hotel Recommendations for Costa Rica