I'm 28, female and live in the UK. I have vacation time in May (can't take any June-September due to my line of work) and am considering going to Costa Rica. It's been a lifelong dream to visit Latin America but I've never had the money or the time and it's getting to the stage where I just want to get there! What's put me off up to this point is that I've never considered it 'worthwhile' to go for just a week or two, given the cost of the flights and the flying time. I always wanted to go for 2-3 months. However I've realised that I'm probably never going to have the money to do this, not in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. So perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just GO?
I'm leading towards Costa Rica because it seems to be thought of as one of the safer Latin American countries for female visitors, and I'm interested in seeing the nature there. I was thinking of going in late April or May. Is this a good/bad time to go? I have a good level of Spanish, but it's rusty and I really, really want to meet local people and practise. I was considering doing a week-long language course in San Jose and staying with a host family, but perhaps there are other ways of doing this? I would be looking at going for around 10 days in total, including 2 weekends.
Am I crazy? Or could the idea be a goer?
Costa Rica for a lone female?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Costa Rica questions
- 2 booking rooms for spring break
- 3 Suze: Can you tell me about your trips to Puerta Vallarta?
- 4 Wanna be Expats!!! Can we move to Mexico sooner? Work? Elsewhere?
- 5 5th Trip CR with Teenagers-Bosque Del Cabo and Iguana Lodge June '14
- 6 3 extra hours in Mexico City airport, any shopping malls nearby?
- 7 Car Rental in Costa Rica
- 8 Playa Del Carmen Day Tours
- 9 Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go??
- 10 Riu Santa Fe vs Palace
- 11 Guatemala customs question
- 12 Jaco to Montezuma ferry- has anyone taken it??
- 13 30 Reasons Why You Should Visit Cozumel (in pictures)
- 14 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 15 Costa Rica: Mal Pais or Manuel Antonio?
- 16 Mextrotter
- 17 CAR RENTAL 4WD COSTA RICA
- 18 carniva cruise key west and cozumel in august 2014
- 19 How to Reach Cancun Tourists
- 20 Costa Rica Osa Questions
- 21 Back from Bosque del Cabo
- 22 costa rica
- 23 Costa Rica during Easter week?
- 24 Car rental Cancun
- 25 Three week backpacking adventure with kids….