I'm 28, female and live in the UK. I have vacation time in May (can't take any June-September due to my line of work) and am considering going to Costa Rica. It's been a lifelong dream to visit Latin America but I've never had the money or the time and it's getting to the stage where I just want to get there! What's put me off up to this point is that I've never considered it 'worthwhile' to go for just a week or two, given the cost of the flights and the flying time. I always wanted to go for 2-3 months. However I've realised that I'm probably never going to have the money to do this, not in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. So perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just GO?
I'm leading towards Costa Rica because it seems to be thought of as one of the safer Latin American countries for female visitors, and I'm interested in seeing the nature there. I was thinking of going in late April or May. Is this a good/bad time to go? I have a good level of Spanish, but it's rusty and I really, really want to meet local people and practise. I was considering doing a week-long language course in San Jose and staying with a host family, but perhaps there are other ways of doing this? I would be looking at going for around 10 days in total, including 2 weekends.
Am I crazy? Or could the idea be a goer?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Mineral De Pozos mini-trip report
- 2 Old Town Puerto Vallarta May 2017
- 3 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 4 Where to stay in Ambergis Caye?
- 5 Playa Del Carmen All Inclusive with party atmosphere?
- 6 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 7 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 8 Spending USD in Mexico
- 9 Family vacation
- 10 Food poisoning?
- 11 Guanajuato or Oaxacca for 5-7days?
- 12 Best plan - suggestions
- 13 Puerto Vallarta Nov 2015 edition
- 14 Merida Trip Report - Lots of Food
- 15 We're off to Costa Rica and never been there!
- 16 Guanacaste in October
- 17 Sad Sad Day for my favorite beach city
- 18 Good lunch spot
- 19 Recommendations on hotels with best beaches
- 20 Planning girls getaway trip to CR this summer and need help!
- 21 December Itinerary with 1 Year Old
- 22 Art School
- 23 Costa Rica EF Tours for Middle School
- 24 Month Stay In Oaxaca, Mexico
- 25 Is it crazy to go in August?