I'm 28, female and live in the UK. I have vacation time in May (can't take any June-September due to my line of work) and am considering going to Costa Rica. It's been a lifelong dream to visit Latin America but I've never had the money or the time and it's getting to the stage where I just want to get there! What's put me off up to this point is that I've never considered it 'worthwhile' to go for just a week or two, given the cost of the flights and the flying time. I always wanted to go for 2-3 months. However I've realised that I'm probably never going to have the money to do this, not in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. So perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just GO?
I'm leading towards Costa Rica because it seems to be thought of as one of the safer Latin American countries for female visitors, and I'm interested in seeing the nature there. I was thinking of going in late April or May. Is this a good/bad time to go? I have a good level of Spanish, but it's rusty and I really, really want to meet local people and practise. I was considering doing a week-long language course in San Jose and staying with a host family, but perhaps there are other ways of doing this? I would be looking at going for around 10 days in total, including 2 weekends.
Am I crazy? Or could the idea be a goer?
Costa Rica for a lone female?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Best Places to Visit in Mexico
- 2 Unreliable www.cancuntransfers.com - DO NOT USE their service
- 3 best hotel for family traveling with young adults in Panama City
- 4 Yucatan - April 2015 Mayan Ruin week trip - Need help planning
- 5 A Week in Montezuma
- 6 Need help with airport transfer in Mexico
- 7 Finalizing Graduation trip for granddaughter
- 8 time needed to depart San Jose airport
- 9 thinking of changing itinerary in CR-need feedback
- 10 Tlaquepaque and Colima - December 2014
- 11 Cheap One Man Trip to Mexico
- 12 Riviera Maya or Puerto Vallarta
- 13 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 14 Best country to deep sea fish in May?
- 15 Looking for suggestions for Mexico beach vacation
- 16 Lovin' Costa Rica with Kids
- 17 Cabo San Lucas - December end 2014
- 18 Belize Itinerary help!
- 19 Food allergy awareness in Cancun, mexico
- 20 Driving in "inner" mexico; is it safe?
- 21 Costa Rica Travel
- 22 Planning Mexico by February
- 23 Costa Rica best river rafting company
- 24 Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua or Costa Rica for a photography buff?
- 25 Mexico City Restaurant Recommendations