I'm 28, female and live in the UK. I have vacation time in May (can't take any June-September due to my line of work) and am considering going to Costa Rica. It's been a lifelong dream to visit Latin America but I've never had the money or the time and it's getting to the stage where I just want to get there! What's put me off up to this point is that I've never considered it 'worthwhile' to go for just a week or two, given the cost of the flights and the flying time. I always wanted to go for 2-3 months. However I've realised that I'm probably never going to have the money to do this, not in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. So perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just GO?
I'm leading towards Costa Rica because it seems to be thought of as one of the safer Latin American countries for female visitors, and I'm interested in seeing the nature there. I was thinking of going in late April or May. Is this a good/bad time to go? I have a good level of Spanish, but it's rusty and I really, really want to meet local people and practise. I was considering doing a week-long language course in San Jose and staying with a host family, but perhaps there are other ways of doing this? I would be looking at going for around 10 days in total, including 2 weekends.
Am I crazy? Or could the idea be a goer?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Help! Should I go to Central America during the rainy season?
- 2 Mexico City over Christmas
- 3 Best time of year for Mexico City/Puebla?
- 4 Need Help with Costa Rica
- 5 info needed on NW Mexico trip
- 6 Tulum Beachfront Lodging with Tweens
- 7 Cozumel airport transfers
- 8 Best plan - suggestions
- 9 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 10 Vacation choices
- 11 Puerto Vallarta
- 12 nicaragua-Rancho Santana
- 13 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 14 PV Questions about art, food, cooking classes!
- 15 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 16 Transportation between Granada, Nicaragua and Ometepe, Nicaragua
- 17 Old Town Puerto Vallarta May 2017
- 18 Isla Holbox - where did you stay?
- 19 Olmec Colossal Heads
- 20 Tour Guide - Mexico City
- 21 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 22 1/2 day excursions
- 23 Thanksgiving/Riviera Maya area/All Inclusive
- 24 Going with the flow - 16 days in Costa Rica
- 25 top 8 cenotes to visit