I'm 28, female and live in the UK. I have vacation time in May (can't take any June-September due to my line of work) and am considering going to Costa Rica. It's been a lifelong dream to visit Latin America but I've never had the money or the time and it's getting to the stage where I just want to get there! What's put me off up to this point is that I've never considered it 'worthwhile' to go for just a week or two, given the cost of the flights and the flying time. I always wanted to go for 2-3 months. However I've realised that I'm probably never going to have the money to do this, not in the foreseeable future, and I wouldn't want to do it alone. So perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and just GO?
I'm leading towards Costa Rica because it seems to be thought of as one of the safer Latin American countries for female visitors, and I'm interested in seeing the nature there. I was thinking of going in late April or May. Is this a good/bad time to go? I have a good level of Spanish, but it's rusty and I really, really want to meet local people and practise. I was considering doing a week-long language course in San Jose and staying with a host family, but perhaps there are other ways of doing this? I would be looking at going for around 10 days in total, including 2 weekends.
Am I crazy? Or could the idea be a goer?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 dental implants
- 2 First time CR intinerary help
- 3 I Love Oaxaca, but...
- 4 Fishing around Arenal
- 5 Costa Rica with 2 year old and 9 month old
- 6 1st trip w/new boyfriend cancun or near by.
- 7 Costa Rica- July trip
- 8 Santa Cruze Hualtuco
- 9 Do you need ID to use buses between cities in Mexico?
- 10 Puerto Vallarta with Kids
- 11 Amazing trip to Costa Rica with kids
- 12 Mexico -- how many ruins?
- 13 help from a Panamanian
- 14 Best Panama beach area?
- 15 Driving from Mexico to Belize
- 16 First Time to Magical Saltillo Coahuila
- 17 Guanacaste
- 18 Restaurant Raves Puerto Vallarta
- 19 Riu Cancun
- 20 Help with itinerary 2 week trip to Mexico
- 21 Passport expires soon
- 22 Los Algodones Baja Mexico
- 23 Need Suggestions for Guatemala
- 24 Is it really worth it to go all the way to Placencia?
- 25 day trips from Mexico City