I'm in the early planning stages of our next family vacation. We are a family of 4 (kids ages 11 and 13) and enjoy the beach, snorkeling, local culture, wildlife and light adventure. I have always felt that Costa Rica would be a perfect fit for us, but the travel time from airport to destinations has been a deterrent. We are spoiled by the ease of travel in Mexico, and keep going back to Playa Del Carmen or Isla Mujures. While we love it there, I think we are ready for a change and something new!
We will be flying into San Jose and can go either April or June for 8-10 days. I am trying to convince my family that we won't constantly be in the car. Any suggestions for places to go that requires the least time on the road? Should we stick to one destination or can we fit in 2? Any help will be appreciated.
Things most important on this trip are: seeing lots of wildlife (sloths and monkeys are my daughter's favorites), spending some time relaxing on a great beach (the kids love to bogie board and swim in ocean), doing activities that are unique to Costa Rica and experiencing the local culture.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Costa Rica with 2 year old and 9 month old
- 2 Do you need ID to use buses between cities in Mexico?
- 3 Puerto Vallarta with Kids
- 4 Amazing trip to Costa Rica with kids
- 5 Mexico -- how many ruins?
- 6 I Love Oaxaca, but...
- 7 help from a Panamanian
- 8 Best Panama beach area?
- 9 Driving from Mexico to Belize
- 10 First Time to Magical Saltillo Coahuila
- 11 Guanacaste
- 12 Restaurant Raves Puerto Vallarta
- 13 Riu Cancun
- 14 Help with itinerary 2 week trip to Mexico
- 15 Passport expires soon
- 16 dental implants
- 17 Los Algodones Baja Mexico
- 18 Need Suggestions for Guatemala
- 19 Santa Cruze Hualtuco
- 20 Is it really worth it to go all the way to Placencia?
- 21 day trips from Mexico City
- 22 Costa Rica - What to see with a guide vs on your own?
- 23 1st trip w/new boyfriend cancun or near by.
- 24 After Bosque del Cabo, where next?
- 25 Puerto Jiminez Costa Rica in July
Costa Rica family trip, trying to plan for years, but keep going back to Mexico! Need help.