I'm in the early planning stages of our next family vacation. We are a family of 4 (kids ages 11 and 13) and enjoy the beach, snorkeling, local culture, wildlife and light adventure. I have always felt that Costa Rica would be a perfect fit for us, but the travel time from airport to destinations has been a deterrent. We are spoiled by the ease of travel in Mexico, and keep going back to Playa Del Carmen or Isla Mujures. While we love it there, I think we are ready for a change and something new!
We will be flying into San Jose and can go either April or June for 8-10 days. I am trying to convince my family that we won't constantly be in the car. Any suggestions for places to go that requires the least time on the road? Should we stick to one destination or can we fit in 2? Any help will be appreciated.
Things most important on this trip are: seeing lots of wildlife (sloths and monkeys are my daughter's favorites), spending some time relaxing on a great beach (the kids love to bogie board and swim in ocean), doing activities that are unique to Costa Rica and experiencing the local culture.
Costa Rica family trip, trying to plan for years, but keep going back to Mexico! Need help.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 2 3 extra hours in Mexico City airport, any shopping malls nearby?
- 3 Cabo Alternative
- 4 Driving in Belize
- 5 Costa Rica itinerary with young children
- 6 time share jerks in mexico !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 7 Riviera maya
- 8 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 9 Cancun & environs move to Eastern time
- 10 24 hours with a car in Cancun. Where to eat? Where to go? There now!
- 11 Cancun in March
- 12 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 13 San Jose del Cabo airport shuttle
- 14 5 Star NOT AI Beachfront Playa del Carmen
- 15 tamarindo (surfing,gun muggins and wildlife encounters)
- 16 8 days in costa rica!
- 17 Old Belize, Belize (Don't Go!)
- 18 Help me with 3rd trip to CR: Bosque del Cabo & WHERE else in Feb?
- 19 Car Rental in Panama
- 20 Costa Rica Itinerary Help!
- 21 Belize
- 22 Planning trip to Panama
- 23 Copa Airlines?
- 24 Intercultura Samara Language School, and Safety in Samara
- 25 Costa Rica - Guanacaste and ? near the arenal volcano or la fortuna