Hello fellow travelers,
I'll be making my first trip to Costa Rica in January. I've worked out most of the itinerary; will be in San Jose; Chirippo NP/San Gerardo de Rivas; Osa Peninsula (Pto Jimenez; Carate; Corcovado NP if I can; Playa Carbonera); San Isidro de El General; Pto Viejo de Sarapiqui incl. La Selva Biological Station; and south of Pto Viejo de Talamanca.
Here are my questions:
1) Can anyone recommend safe, clean, friendly, cheap accomodations for 1-night stays in Puerto Jimenez and Alajuela, respectively? (Would it be okay to arrive in Pto Jimenez w/o reservations?)
2) Any tips on getting backpacking permits for the 2 national parks, and a guide for Corcovado? Should I try to phone Costa Rica and do a bank transfer; pay the lodge in La Leona a fee to book my Corcovado permit; or take my chances on getting overnight permits for Chirippo and Corcovado in CR? I'll be arriving over New Years and heading to San Gerardo de Rivas my 2nd full day, so that seems risky to me.
3) In Playa Carbonera: Try to arrange kayaking in Golfo Dulce from here, or just stay put and enjoy the immediate area?
4) Any recommendations for day trips from Pto Viejo de Talamanca? Esp. to indigenous communities? Or again, enjoy the beaches, snorkeling etc. right there?
5) If I have an afternoon in Alajuela at the end of the trip, would it be reasonable to take a bus to Doka Coffee Estate or Volcan Poas (probably bad time of day for this?)?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Costa Rica: a few questions for 3-wk itinerary
Hello fellow travelers,
- 1 Lovin' Costa Rica with Kids
- 2 Riviera Maya Weather in June
- 3 2013 GTG - Bosque del Cabo, Costa Rica
- 4 Tamarindo hotel? Best for group of guys.
- 5 Authentic cuban cigars in COsta Rica??
- 6 TACA canceling several CR flights
- 7 Oasis Cancun or Costa Real??
- 8 Oasis Cancun
- 9 Driving
- 10 Driving around costa ica
- 11 Isla Mujeres, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen for best swimming and snorkeling?
- 12 Nice, child-friendly timeshare in Cancun/Playa del Carmen
- 13 Campeche anyone?
- 14 Travel Route in Costa Rica - Tamarindo, Arenal, MonteVerde, Manuel Antonio
- 15 How much cash to bring to Belize?
- 16 Belize in August with teens
- 17 Tequila Visit, Jalisco
- 18 Last Minute Puerto Vallarta
- 19 Costa Rica - Car Rental Help!
- 20 Which would you recommend? Four Seasons Punta Mita OR Four Seasons Nevis?
- 21 Learn Spanish in Quetzaltenango - Xela, Guatemala
- 22 Bring snorkel gear to Costa Rica?
- 23 Timeshare Presentation For Deep Discount On A Resort Worth It???
- 24 Just back from Puerto Vallarta
- 25 AI in Cancun vicinity