We had traveled to Belize in 1995 and went to San Ignacio, Dangriga, Southwater Caye, Placencia and Ambergris back then. It’s still one of our favorite trips that we fondly remember. We’d always wanted to go back. It just took us 14 years to do it! For the most part, we went to different places this time with Ambergris and Caye Caulker being the only places we’d seen before. Having read about the development in recent years and knowing that there are now cruise ships visiting Belize City, we had a bit of trepidation about what we would see. Overall, we had a really great time though there were a few disappointments as well.
My aunt joined us for the first part of our trip and left after Lamanai and my in-laws met us at Chan Chich for the latter part of the trip. The weather was cooler and windier than I expected as a cold front had moved in the second week. It was great for walking around and other activities during the day and kept the insect bites to a minimum (on our first trip I literally came home with over 200 bites). A little brisk for swimming but not bad once you were in the water. I brought a light sweater and wore it much more than I thought I would and could’ve used something heavier for the spotlight boat ride at Lamanai and night drive at Chan Chich.
I’ll just post briefly about each location and would be happy to answer any questions. Scroll toward the bottom if you just want to see photos.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Finally made it!
- 2 Stay in Cancun or head to Europe?
- 3 First Vacation!
- 4 Beware of timeshare Casa Dorada
- 5 Itinerary help
- 6 First time to Mexico - GTO and SMA General questions
- 7 Cell Phone Internet While in Mexico?
- 8 Honeymoon Planning - help wanted!
- 9 Belize -- Lamanai and X'Tan Ha
- 10 Belize-first timer ?s for Cayes & Cayo w/ Guatemala
- 11 Activities in Costa Rica
- 12 Looking for a really unique day trip in Costa Rica
- 13 all about volcano boarding in Nicaragua
- 14 ATV's, Nightlife, and Poker Cancun
- 15 Private Driver/Assistant Cancun
- 16 Sayulita, Mexico Beaches and hotels
- 17 Costa Rica vs. Mexico vs. Hawaii
- 18 beaches in El Salvador near a town
- 19 Gluten Free Belize
- 20 Is this a Doable Day Trip?
- 21 buying silver jewelry in cancun
- 22 Ritz Carlton Cancun for Romantic Getaway or Too Much of "Party Place?"
- 23 In Cancun right now..
- 24 Driving there in Baja: safe or not?
- 25 La Fortuna or Manuel Antonio?
Belize trip report and photos Feb/Mar 2009