We had traveled to Belize in 1995 and went to San Ignacio, Dangriga, Southwater Caye, Placencia and Ambergris back then. It’s still one of our favorite trips that we fondly remember. We’d always wanted to go back. It just took us 14 years to do it! For the most part, we went to different places this time with Ambergris and Caye Caulker being the only places we’d seen before. Having read about the development in recent years and knowing that there are now cruise ships visiting Belize City, we had a bit of trepidation about what we would see. Overall, we had a really great time though there were a few disappointments as well.
My aunt joined us for the first part of our trip and left after Lamanai and my in-laws met us at Chan Chich for the latter part of the trip. The weather was cooler and windier than I expected as a cold front had moved in the second week. It was great for walking around and other activities during the day and kept the insect bites to a minimum (on our first trip I literally came home with over 200 bites). A little brisk for swimming but not bad once you were in the water. I brought a light sweater and wore it much more than I thought I would and could’ve used something heavier for the spotlight boat ride at Lamanai and night drive at Chan Chich.
I’ll just post briefly about each location and would be happy to answer any questions. Scroll toward the bottom if you just want to see photos.
Belize trip report and photos Feb/Mar 2009
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Food poisoning?
- 2 Cancun in Oct..Was amazing..
- 3 First Timer to Mexico - Itinerary help please
- 4 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 5 Costa Rica Allergy Accommodations for Tree Nuts and Dairy
- 6 Should we cancel our vacation to Mexico in December?
- 7 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 8 Maya Riviera to Belize or Costa Rica or Panama?
- 9 The product is really effective in reducing
- 10 Mexico City
- 11 Do we need special insurance or driver's license for rental car in Mexico
- 12 Costa Rica with a 8 year old boy?
- 13 Bus service from San Jose´ del Cabo to Totos Santos
- 14 Cruise with a 10 month old to Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico,and key west.
- 15 Flores to Chetumal by road without crossing through Belize
- 16 Central America travel over New Year's
- 17 Costa Rica after 15 years update me on driving
- 18 Lodging in Costa Rica in January
- 19 Thoughts on Cayo District tours/accommodation options
- 20 Place to have a wedding in May near Cancun
- 21 43 Missing Students in Mexico
- 22 Costa Rica help
- 23 Cancun car rental/emd3 plus others help!
- 24 1 week in Panama - how does this sound?
- 25 7-8 Days in Panama. Suggested Itinerary?