We had traveled to Belize in 1995 and went to San Ignacio, Dangriga, Southwater Caye, Placencia and Ambergris back then. It’s still one of our favorite trips that we fondly remember. We’d always wanted to go back. It just took us 14 years to do it! For the most part, we went to different places this time with Ambergris and Caye Caulker being the only places we’d seen before. Having read about the development in recent years and knowing that there are now cruise ships visiting Belize City, we had a bit of trepidation about what we would see. Overall, we had a really great time though there were a few disappointments as well.
My aunt joined us for the first part of our trip and left after Lamanai and my in-laws met us at Chan Chich for the latter part of the trip. The weather was cooler and windier than I expected as a cold front had moved in the second week. It was great for walking around and other activities during the day and kept the insect bites to a minimum (on our first trip I literally came home with over 200 bites). A little brisk for swimming but not bad once you were in the water. I brought a light sweater and wore it much more than I thought I would and could’ve used something heavier for the spotlight boat ride at Lamanai and night drive at Chan Chich.
I’ll just post briefly about each location and would be happy to answer any questions. Scroll toward the bottom if you just want to see photos.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Two weeks in Panama, a new adventure...
- 2 STAY AWAY FROM AMERICA CAR RENTAL!!
- 3 Entertaining young children in Tulum/Akumal
- 4 Wanna be Expats!!! Can we move to Mexico sooner? Work? Elsewhere?
- 5 A WHALE Of A TALE
- 6 Panama made us Panamaniacs, Trip Report Dec/Jan 2015-16
- 7 Fonda Vela
- 8 Need help w/mother/daughter 3 day side excursion
- 9 Belize, Rotaan, Cozumel - WHAT TO DO?? HELP!!
- 10 mexico vs dominican republic vacation
- 11 Privat Tour Options for Chichen itza + Tulum
- 12 Glover's ongoing report on Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua
- 13 Mosquitoes and the Zika virus
- 14 Cancun 7 day trip advice needed
- 15 Driver needed for Panama City
- 16 Costa Rica Cruise - Part 3
- 17 Warm Temp for Snorkling
- 18 Cruise to Costa Rica 2016
- 19 Costa Rica Cruise - Details
- 20 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 21 Help us plan a Mayan Ruins plus Wildlife trip
- 22 Planning ~$1000/person AI vacation from DC
- 23 Help with excursions from Black Rock Lodge
- 24 Visit to Xela, Antigua, Atitlan
- 25 Christmas 2016 (budget)
Belize trip report and photos Feb/Mar 2009