We had traveled to Belize in 1995 and went to San Ignacio, Dangriga, Southwater Caye, Placencia and Ambergris back then. It’s still one of our favorite trips that we fondly remember. We’d always wanted to go back. It just took us 14 years to do it! For the most part, we went to different places this time with Ambergris and Caye Caulker being the only places we’d seen before. Having read about the development in recent years and knowing that there are now cruise ships visiting Belize City, we had a bit of trepidation about what we would see. Overall, we had a really great time though there were a few disappointments as well.
My aunt joined us for the first part of our trip and left after Lamanai and my in-laws met us at Chan Chich for the latter part of the trip. The weather was cooler and windier than I expected as a cold front had moved in the second week. It was great for walking around and other activities during the day and kept the insect bites to a minimum (on our first trip I literally came home with over 200 bites). A little brisk for swimming but not bad once you were in the water. I brought a light sweater and wore it much more than I thought I would and could’ve used something heavier for the spotlight boat ride at Lamanai and night drive at Chan Chich.
I’ll just post briefly about each location and would be happy to answer any questions. Scroll toward the bottom if you just want to see photos.
Belize trip report and photos Feb/Mar 2009
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 buying silver jewelry in cancun
- 2 Cuernavaca
- 3 questions on a few Nicaragua logistics
- 4 Please advise re itinerary order - Guanajuato, Queretaro, San Miguel
- 5 cancun
- 6 Riviera Maya Suites in Playa del Carmen or....?
- 7 best places in Baja
- 8 Queretaro or Zacatecas??
- 9 Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for boogie boarding and hotel recs
- 10 3 wks for Mayan ruins, colonial cities, markets, culture and nature
- 11 costa rica in two weeks
- 12 Shoes for Costa Rica in Nov.
- 13 Jaco and playa caleta boutique hotel
- 14 Costa Rica: easy, non-hiking activities Monte Verde, Corcovado
- 15 SIM Card -- Mexico to the USA
- 16 Directly book Manuel Antonio Expeditions? Or just deal with hotel?
- 17 Traveling from Roatan to Copan, Honduras
- 18 2 week Costa Rica trip
- 19 6-7 hour layover w/family in San Salvador
- 20 Costa Rica Itinerary-one week. Guanacaste? Arenal?
- 21 costa rica logistics
- 22 copa de árbol or bosque del cabo (or both!)
- 23 Looking for a place similar to Playa Del Carmen
- 24 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 25 costa rica logistics again