We had traveled to Belize in 1995 and went to San Ignacio, Dangriga, Southwater Caye, Placencia and Ambergris back then. It’s still one of our favorite trips that we fondly remember. We’d always wanted to go back. It just took us 14 years to do it! For the most part, we went to different places this time with Ambergris and Caye Caulker being the only places we’d seen before. Having read about the development in recent years and knowing that there are now cruise ships visiting Belize City, we had a bit of trepidation about what we would see. Overall, we had a really great time though there were a few disappointments as well.
My aunt joined us for the first part of our trip and left after Lamanai and my in-laws met us at Chan Chich for the latter part of the trip. The weather was cooler and windier than I expected as a cold front had moved in the second week. It was great for walking around and other activities during the day and kept the insect bites to a minimum (on our first trip I literally came home with over 200 bites). A little brisk for swimming but not bad once you were in the water. I brought a light sweater and wore it much more than I thought I would and could’ve used something heavier for the spotlight boat ride at Lamanai and night drive at Chan Chich.
I’ll just post briefly about each location and would be happy to answer any questions. Scroll toward the bottom if you just want to see photos.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Central america with 6 yr old.
- 2 Amazing..
- 3 Land Border & Monterrey to Mexican Language School & Side Trips
- 4 Costa Rica in Christmas 2016
- 5 Layover in San Salvador
- 6 day trips from Mexico City
- 7 Destination for 3 kids under 5 - Cancun?
- 8 help from a Panamanian
- 9 Dynamic Airways = LAX to Cancun
- 10 Hotel Recommendation for Riviera Maya please help!
- 11 Cancun Beach Snorkeling 6/2016
- 12 Playa del carmen - airbnb
- 13 Looking for Good Remote Study Location
- 14 advice for costa rica about tennagers .
- 15 Pearl Keys
- 16 Transportation from the Royal Playa Del Carmen to Iberostar Grand Pariso
- 17 Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$
- 18 Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?
- 19 Niaragua Adventures: Beware of the Small Print
- 20 Grand sunset princess (playa del carmen)
- 21 Picky traveler looking for a hidden gem
- 22 Honeymoon in mid-September?
- 23 Hotel Recommendations for Costa Rica
- 24 exchanging US dollars for Mexican pesos
- 25 Food cost for Caye Caulker, Belize or the islands?
Belize trip report and photos Feb/Mar 2009