We had traveled to Belize in 1995 and went to San Ignacio, Dangriga, Southwater Caye, Placencia and Ambergris back then. It’s still one of our favorite trips that we fondly remember. We’d always wanted to go back. It just took us 14 years to do it! For the most part, we went to different places this time with Ambergris and Caye Caulker being the only places we’d seen before. Having read about the development in recent years and knowing that there are now cruise ships visiting Belize City, we had a bit of trepidation about what we would see. Overall, we had a really great time though there were a few disappointments as well.
My aunt joined us for the first part of our trip and left after Lamanai and my in-laws met us at Chan Chich for the latter part of the trip. The weather was cooler and windier than I expected as a cold front had moved in the second week. It was great for walking around and other activities during the day and kept the insect bites to a minimum (on our first trip I literally came home with over 200 bites). A little brisk for swimming but not bad once you were in the water. I brought a light sweater and wore it much more than I thought I would and could’ve used something heavier for the spotlight boat ride at Lamanai and night drive at Chan Chich.
I’ll just post briefly about each location and would be happy to answer any questions. Scroll toward the bottom if you just want to see photos.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Costa Rica 5 Days in Fall
- 2 La Paloma reviews?
- 3 Azul Sensatori
- 4 Westjet flights to Merida
- 5 Cancun beaches coated with thick seaweed
- 6 Food and health in Cancún.
- 7 Land Border & Monterrey to Mexican Language School & Side Trips
- 8 Safety for swimming in ocean
- 9 Any advice on a place to stay in Los Cabos for a family of 4
- 10 Costa Rica or Belize with kids in late August/early September?
- 11 Will anyone be in Oaxaca, 9/21-10/10?
- 12 Where to eat in Costa Rica
- 13 Adult only all inclusive
- 14 Help needed - Riviera Maya or Puerto Plata in Feb
- 15 Trip to Punta de Mita in January and need help with planning
- 16 Belize - Where to Go?
- 17 Savegre Hotel
- 18 Day pass at Arenal Observatory Lodge
- 19 Camera & Accessories
- 20 Wildlife in Belize
- 21 Central America Safety?! Any suggestions will help.
- 22 Costa Rica
- 23 TranquilSeas Roatan - feedback or suggestions?
- 24 Riviera Maya seaweed problem....
- 25 Wedding catering in San Miguel de Allende
Belize trip report and photos Feb/Mar 2009