We had traveled to Belize in 1995 and went to San Ignacio, Dangriga, Southwater Caye, Placencia and Ambergris back then. It’s still one of our favorite trips that we fondly remember. We’d always wanted to go back. It just took us 14 years to do it! For the most part, we went to different places this time with Ambergris and Caye Caulker being the only places we’d seen before. Having read about the development in recent years and knowing that there are now cruise ships visiting Belize City, we had a bit of trepidation about what we would see. Overall, we had a really great time though there were a few disappointments as well.
My aunt joined us for the first part of our trip and left after Lamanai and my in-laws met us at Chan Chich for the latter part of the trip. The weather was cooler and windier than I expected as a cold front had moved in the second week. It was great for walking around and other activities during the day and kept the insect bites to a minimum (on our first trip I literally came home with over 200 bites). A little brisk for swimming but not bad once you were in the water. I brought a light sweater and wore it much more than I thought I would and could’ve used something heavier for the spotlight boat ride at Lamanai and night drive at Chan Chich.
I’ll just post briefly about each location and would be happy to answer any questions. Scroll toward the bottom if you just want to see photos.
Belize trip report and photos Feb/Mar 2009
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Cancun-discounts.com
- 2 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 3 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 4 Mexico City, Chiapas and Yucutan, too much??
- 5 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 6 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 7 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 8 Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort and Spa in Cabo San Lucas
- 9 Apartment Finders
- 10 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 11 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 12 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 13 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 14 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 15 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 16 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 17 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 18 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 19 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 20 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 21 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 22 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 23 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 24 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 25 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July