We are a family of 4 (kids are 7&9) with previous snorkeling experiences from Asia. We have never been in this part of the world so much going to be a new experience for us. The trip's length is going to be around three weeks and take place around Christmas/new year’s 2013. We are traveling on an average budget and not minding of a rustic setting. We usually try to stay in bungalow stile lodgings with a/c and bathroom facilities but could do without for some nights.
We began planning this trip thinking of going to Panama as our first choice but since we have been reading and posting on some forums and most say that Belize and Honduras are more suitable for us. Do you agree?
We want to have lots of snorkeling, preferably from land but will go with diving boats if possible (we have done this before) We will also try to get a few days( around two) in a rainforest to see as much wildlife as possible. A canopying tour and maybe an easier rafting tour or some sort of cave experience if we get the timing right is also in the plans.
Where would you go? How long for each place and why? Good day trips or overnight trips appreciated as well as places to stay. The goal is to have two longer stays around 5-7 days and the best I have found so far is Caye Caulker and Utila. Would you prefer Ambergris Caye and Roatan or what are the pros and cons for each place?
Anyone with experience of Raggamuffin tours overnight sailing trip? Or do you know of something similar?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 help from a Panamanian
- 2 Dynamic Airways = LAX to Cancun
- 3 Destination for 3 kids under 5 - Cancun?
- 4 Hotel Recommendation for Riviera Maya please help!
- 5 Cancun Beach Snorkeling 6/2016
- 6 Playa del carmen - airbnb
- 7 Looking for Good Remote Study Location
- 8 Amazing..
- 9 advice for costa rica about tennagers .
- 10 Pearl Keys
- 11 Transportation from the Royal Playa Del Carmen to Iberostar Grand Pariso
- 12 Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$
- 13 Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?
- 14 Niaragua Adventures: Beware of the Small Print
- 15 Grand sunset princess (playa del carmen)
- 16 Picky traveler looking for a hidden gem
- 17 Honeymoon in mid-September?
- 18 Hotel Recommendations for Costa Rica
- 19 exchanging US dollars for Mexican pesos
- 20 Food cost for Caye Caulker, Belize or the islands?
- 21 Do NOT use ALAMO
- 22 Costa Rica- July trip
- 23 5 night Itinerary - Yucatan Peninsula
- 24 7 day western carribean on Norwegian Getaway
- 25 Travel Logistics / Safety