We are a family of 4 (kids are 7&9) with previous snorkeling experiences from Asia. We have never been in this part of the world so much going to be a new experience for us. The trip's length is going to be around three weeks and take place around Christmas/new year’s 2013. We are traveling on an average budget and not minding of a rustic setting. We usually try to stay in bungalow stile lodgings with a/c and bathroom facilities but could do without for some nights.
We began planning this trip thinking of going to Panama as our first choice but since we have been reading and posting on some forums and most say that Belize and Honduras are more suitable for us. Do you agree?
We want to have lots of snorkeling, preferably from land but will go with diving boats if possible (we have done this before) We will also try to get a few days( around two) in a rainforest to see as much wildlife as possible. A canopying tour and maybe an easier rafting tour or some sort of cave experience if we get the timing right is also in the plans.
Where would you go? How long for each place and why? Good day trips or overnight trips appreciated as well as places to stay. The goal is to have two longer stays around 5-7 days and the best I have found so far is Caye Caulker and Utila. Would you prefer Ambergris Caye and Roatan or what are the pros and cons for each place?
Anyone with experience of Raggamuffin tours overnight sailing trip? Or do you know of something similar?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 We are planning a trip to Costa Rica in November
- 2 Anyone interested?
- 3 Best beach club in Playa d carmen with a good restaurant ?
- 4 Old Town Puerto Vallarta May 2017
- 5 Where to stay in Ambergis Caye?
- 6 Mineral De Pozos mini-trip report
- 7 A First TripTo Puerta Vallerta
- 8 Playa Del Carmen restaurant
- 9 Tulum & Coba - Travel Report
- 10 Spending USD in Mexico
- 11 Family vacation
- 12 Food poisoning?
- 13 Guanajuato or Oaxacca for 5-7days?
- 14 Best plan - suggestions
- 15 Puerto Vallarta Nov 2015 edition
- 16 Merida Trip Report - Lots of Food
- 17 We're off to Costa Rica and never been there!
- 18 Guanacaste in October
- 19 Good lunch spot
- 20 Recommendations on hotels with best beaches
- 21 Planning girls getaway trip to CR this summer and need help!
- 22 December Itinerary with 1 Year Old
- 23 Art School
- 24 Costa Rica EF Tours for Middle School
- 25 Month Stay In Oaxaca, Mexico