We are a family of 4 (kids are 7&9) with previous snorkeling experiences from Asia. We have never been in this part of the world so much going to be a new experience for us. The trip's length is going to be around three weeks and take place around Christmas/new year’s 2013. We are traveling on an average budget and not minding of a rustic setting. We usually try to stay in bungalow stile lodgings with a/c and bathroom facilities but could do without for some nights.
We began planning this trip thinking of going to Panama as our first choice but since we have been reading and posting on some forums and most say that Belize and Honduras are more suitable for us. Do you agree?
We want to have lots of snorkeling, preferably from land but will go with diving boats if possible (we have done this before) We will also try to get a few days( around two) in a rainforest to see as much wildlife as possible. A canopying tour and maybe an easier rafting tour or some sort of cave experience if we get the timing right is also in the plans.
Where would you go? How long for each place and why? Good day trips or overnight trips appreciated as well as places to stay. The goal is to have two longer stays around 5-7 days and the best I have found so far is Caye Caulker and Utila. Would you prefer Ambergris Caye and Roatan or what are the pros and cons for each place?
Anyone with experience of Raggamuffin tours overnight sailing trip? Or do you know of something similar?
Thanks in advance for any advice!
Belize and Honduras looking for snorkeling and wildlife
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Spring in Oaxaca - a perfect getaway for our 15th wedding anniversary!
- 2 Driving from Florida to Belize
- 3 Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort and Spa in Cabo San Lucas
- 4 Apartment Finders
- 5 5 Weeks in Chocolate Paradise
- 6 Looking for inexpensive villas/bungalows with a private/secluded beach.
- 7 Nicaragua trip on 5/22...Need help, pls
- 8 Costa Rica for a lone female?
- 9 Playa del Carmen - El Faro or Corto Maltes?
- 10 Puerto Vallarta for honeymoon... Ideas??
- 11 Guanajuato or San Cristobal de las Casas Mexico
- 12 Costa Rica - Dominical/Uvita in September with 2 yr old
- 13 1 month itinerary US/Mexico
- 14 August weather in Cabo San Lucas?
- 15 Photos from Panama (Chiriqui, Canal Zone) February 2014
- 16 Meditation and/or yoga retreat
- 17 NY Times article about Osa Peninsula
- 18 Suggestions for a Unique, Non-Touristy quick trip to the CANCUN area??
- 19 Petit Laffite hotel, Playa del Carmen
- 20 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 21 Costa Rica - Family of 6 - July
- 22 Looking for Belize itinerary planning suggestions
- 23 Family Vacation, Caribbean Costa Rica and Panama
- 24 Hopefulist in Belize, 2014
- 25 International connectons through San Pedro Sula or Panama City