ATM fraud has been going on in Antigua for over a year now and although there has not been much talk around town about it in the past few months, it has resurfaced with many more locals and tourists having their accounts hacked. The bank mentioned the most is Banco de America Central (BAC) and their credit card portion Credomatic. They have the agency right on the park in Antigua opposite the cathedral. They have a nice entrance with three or four ATMs and a guard on duty. My account was hacked last Wednesday, and THEY called me to inquire about the unauthorized withdrawals! Since then I have made three trips to the bank and my account was even debited with charges made after the account was blocked. It does no good to get pissy with the bank employees; they are just doing and saying what they are told. No, the funds have not been returned to my account yet, but they keep assuring me that it will be "tomorrow by 9 am." So if you are planning to visit Guatemala, DO NOT USE THE ATM MACHINES AT BANCO DE AMERICA CENTRAL/BAC/CREDOMATIC. Frankly, I don't know any machines that are safe in Guatemala. I changed to a bank that only uses an old fashioned passbook!
ATM Fraud Continues in Antigua
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Food poisoning?
- 2 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 3 Costa Rica Allergy Accommodations for Tree Nuts and Dairy
- 4 First Timer to Mexico - Itinerary help please
- 5 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 6 Should we cancel our vacation to Mexico in December?
- 7 Maya Riviera to Belize or Costa Rica or Panama?
- 8 The product is really effective in reducing
- 9 Mexico City
- 10 Do we need special insurance or driver's license for rental car in Mexico
- 11 Costa Rica with a 8 year old boy?
- 12 Bus service from San Jose´ del Cabo to Totos Santos
- 13 Cruise with a 10 month old to Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico,and key west.
- 14 Flores to Chetumal by road without crossing through Belize
- 15 Central America travel over New Year's
- 16 Costa Rica after 15 years update me on driving
- 17 Lodging in Costa Rica in January
- 18 Thoughts on Cayo District tours/accommodation options
- 19 Place to have a wedding in May near Cancun
- 20 43 Missing Students in Mexico
- 21 Costa Rica help
- 22 Cancun car rental/emd3 plus others help!
- 23 1 week in Panama - how does this sound?
- 24 7-8 Days in Panama. Suggested Itinerary?
- 25 Hopefulist in Guatemala 2014 (#3)