ATM fraud has been going on in Antigua for over a year now and although there has not been much talk around town about it in the past few months, it has resurfaced with many more locals and tourists having their accounts hacked. The bank mentioned the most is Banco de America Central (BAC) and their credit card portion Credomatic. They have the agency right on the park in Antigua opposite the cathedral. They have a nice entrance with three or four ATMs and a guard on duty. My account was hacked last Wednesday, and THEY called me to inquire about the unauthorized withdrawals! Since then I have made three trips to the bank and my account was even debited with charges made after the account was blocked. It does no good to get pissy with the bank employees; they are just doing and saying what they are told. No, the funds have not been returned to my account yet, but they keep assuring me that it will be "tomorrow by 9 am." So if you are planning to visit Guatemala, DO NOT USE THE ATM MACHINES AT BANCO DE AMERICA CENTRAL/BAC/CREDOMATIC. Frankly, I don't know any machines that are safe in Guatemala. I changed to a bank that only uses an old fashioned passbook!
ATM Fraud Continues in Antigua
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Zipline at Arenal or Monteverde
- 2 Activities in Tamarindo, Guanacaste
- 3 Departure tax
- 4 Looking for Info on Coba Schools
- 5 HELP! Need a Guide for a Day in Managua
- 6 Ho, Ho, Oaxaca
- 7 Guatemala suggested itinery/transport/etc
- 8 Costa Rica first timers
- 9 Bringing snacks into Mexico
- 10 Costa Rica: Drive from Arenal to Guanacaste via Monteverde
- 11 MEX to Polanco hotel? Taxi?
- 12 Spanish School in Tulum, Mexico
- 13 OAXACA markets….question or two..guide?
- 14 think twice before using expedia
- 15 Meztli Spanish School in Tulum, Mexico
- 16 best places in Baja
- 17 Beachfront in Tulum
- 18 Belize, first time
- 19 las palapas/mahekal???? Looking for quiet AI in Mexico???
- 20 How far a drive from Playa Grande to Riu Palace?
- 21 Catamaran Sailing in Costa Rica & Questions Answered
- 22 Costa Rica with young kids
- 23 10 Days in Central America. Where should I go?
- 24 Lovin' Costa Rica with Kids
- 25 Security in Oaxaca