DH and I have been to Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula twice and absolutely love it -- and really enjoyed both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo (the latter a bit more than the former, but both were terrific experiences). We love all of the different species of monkeys, the scarlet macaws, the morpho butterflies, the toucans, the coatis, and the spectacular hikes to waterfalls and tide pools. We don't need luxuries like AC (definitely don't care about TV) but appreciate comforts like good food and ceiling fans. A swimming pool is nice but not an absolute must. We like outdoor showers and great views. We are tempted to go back to the Osa again but would also like to try someplace different, but really want it to have great wildlife viewing and hiking and photographic opportunities. This would be for an 8-night trip in April. Since we have to fly from DC and only have a little over a week we don't want to go any farther than Central America or the Caribbean this time (as it is, it will be a full day of travel each way which will eat up a lot of our trip). We have been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio but are open to other parts of CR although I'm skeptical the wildlife would be as great as what we've seen in the Osa -- and are there places in Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala we should consider? (We have been to Belize and weren't as enamored of it. We've also been to Mexico and enjoyed it for other reasons but it doesn't have nearly as much wildlife.) Budget is not nearly as much of a constraint for this trip as time is, although good value for money is always appreciated -- we are willing to spend more for a truly outstanding experience. Ideally we would like to stay in one place for the whole time, or possibly move once during the trip but no more than that. We are pretty exhausted from work and looking forward to really unplugging, relaxing, and reconnecting with the natural world -- watching the sunset with a glass of wine with the sights and sounds of the rainforest or the surf. Any suggestions appreciated.
Anywhere else in Central America with as much wildlife as the Osa in CR?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Suze: Can you tell me about your trips to Puerta Vallarta?
- 2 Wanna be Expats!!! Can we move to Mexico sooner? Work? Elsewhere?
- 3 Costa Rica questions
- 4 5th Trip CR with Teenagers-Bosque Del Cabo and Iguana Lodge June '14
- 5 3 extra hours in Mexico City airport, any shopping malls nearby?
- 6 Car Rental in Costa Rica
- 7 Playa Del Carmen Day Tours
- 8 Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go??
- 9 Riu Santa Fe vs Palace
- 10 Guatemala customs question
- 11 Jaco to Montezuma ferry- has anyone taken it??
- 12 booking rooms for spring break
- 13 30 Reasons Why You Should Visit Cozumel (in pictures)
- 14 Trying to decide between Hawaii or Mexico for family trip
- 15 Costa Rica: Mal Pais or Manuel Antonio?
- 16 Mextrotter
- 17 CAR RENTAL 4WD COSTA RICA
- 18 carniva cruise key west and cozumel in august 2014
- 19 How to Reach Cancun Tourists
- 20 Costa Rica Osa Questions
- 21 Back from Bosque del Cabo
- 22 costa rica
- 23 Costa Rica during Easter week?
- 24 Car rental Cancun
- 25 Three week backpacking adventure with kids….