DH and I have been to Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula twice and absolutely love it -- and really enjoyed both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo (the latter a bit more than the former, but both were terrific experiences). We love all of the different species of monkeys, the scarlet macaws, the morpho butterflies, the toucans, the coatis, and the spectacular hikes to waterfalls and tide pools. We don't need luxuries like AC (definitely don't care about TV) but appreciate comforts like good food and ceiling fans. A swimming pool is nice but not an absolute must. We like outdoor showers and great views. We are tempted to go back to the Osa again but would also like to try someplace different, but really want it to have great wildlife viewing and hiking and photographic opportunities. This would be for an 8-night trip in April. Since we have to fly from DC and only have a little over a week we don't want to go any farther than Central America or the Caribbean this time (as it is, it will be a full day of travel each way which will eat up a lot of our trip). We have been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio but are open to other parts of CR although I'm skeptical the wildlife would be as great as what we've seen in the Osa -- and are there places in Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala we should consider? (We have been to Belize and weren't as enamored of it. We've also been to Mexico and enjoyed it for other reasons but it doesn't have nearly as much wildlife.) Budget is not nearly as much of a constraint for this trip as time is, although good value for money is always appreciated -- we are willing to spend more for a truly outstanding experience. Ideally we would like to stay in one place for the whole time, or possibly move once during the trip but no more than that. We are pretty exhausted from work and looking forward to really unplugging, relaxing, and reconnecting with the natural world -- watching the sunset with a glass of wine with the sights and sounds of the rainforest or the surf. Any suggestions appreciated.
Anywhere else in Central America with as much wildlife as the Osa in CR?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 hotels in oaxaca centro historico
- 2 Labor Day Weekend Weather in Playa Del Carmen
- 3 Playa del Carmen
- 4 loved la carolina lodge-what are similar spots in cr?
- 5 Panama in October
- 6 Hotel or House in Tulum?
- 7 Costa Rica First Trip -- Help
- 8 Red Frog Beach Resort or Popa Paradise (or another option?)
- 9 Driving & Camping in Baja California
- 10 Monteverde from Liberia
- 11 Uvita during green/rainy season - should we go??
- 12 Costa Rica: Mal Pais or Manuel Antonio?
- 13 San Jose, Costa Rica
- 14 mayan ruins family trip
- 15 Puerto Vallarta - charm and low key
- 16 Cancun / Playa del Carmen with Young Kids
- 17 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 18 Car Rental in Costa Rica
- 19 Do I need an SUV for riviera maya vacation
- 20 Costa Rica Vacation
- 21 travel blog Costa Rica, Aruba and more
- 22 Trip Report - Merida, Ruta Puuc, Chichen Itza, Tulum
- 23 Stay for a night in cancun before 14 days at beach house near tulum?
- 24 Airfares between Kansas City and Costa Rica
- 25 How safe is driving a car through Mexico