DH and I have been to Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula twice and absolutely love it -- and really enjoyed both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo (the latter a bit more than the former, but both were terrific experiences). We love all of the different species of monkeys, the scarlet macaws, the morpho butterflies, the toucans, the coatis, and the spectacular hikes to waterfalls and tide pools. We don't need luxuries like AC (definitely don't care about TV) but appreciate comforts like good food and ceiling fans. A swimming pool is nice but not an absolute must. We like outdoor showers and great views. We are tempted to go back to the Osa again but would also like to try someplace different, but really want it to have great wildlife viewing and hiking and photographic opportunities. This would be for an 8-night trip in April. Since we have to fly from DC and only have a little over a week we don't want to go any farther than Central America or the Caribbean this time (as it is, it will be a full day of travel each way which will eat up a lot of our trip). We have been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio but are open to other parts of CR although I'm skeptical the wildlife would be as great as what we've seen in the Osa -- and are there places in Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala we should consider? (We have been to Belize and weren't as enamored of it. We've also been to Mexico and enjoyed it for other reasons but it doesn't have nearly as much wildlife.) Budget is not nearly as much of a constraint for this trip as time is, although good value for money is always appreciated -- we are willing to spend more for a truly outstanding experience. Ideally we would like to stay in one place for the whole time, or possibly move once during the trip but no more than that. We are pretty exhausted from work and looking forward to really unplugging, relaxing, and reconnecting with the natural world -- watching the sunset with a glass of wine with the sights and sounds of the rainforest or the surf. Any suggestions appreciated.
Anywhere else in Central America with as much wildlife as the Osa in CR?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Retire in Mexico or Centeral America
- 2 Bus from Guatemala City to Nicaragua
- 3 Traveling to Mexico City in April and need guidance
- 4 Costa Rica Pacific Highlands and Coast-Feb 2015
- 5 Costa Rica
- 6 Hotel with kids in Tulum or Akumal?
- 7 Last minute Cancun trip must do's?
- 8 Spanish School In Quetzaltenango
- 9 Car Service from Cancun Airport
- 10 Wanted - Family Resort with Great Food - Cancun - Playa del Carmen
- 11 Costa Rica tentative Itinerary - input please
- 12 Oaxaca Restaurant Recommendations
- 13 Cancun vs. Playa Del Carmen Area
- 14 Tocumen Airport layover
- 15 Best Restauranr Meal you had in Oaxaca
- 16 Peace Lodge? Or somewhere else?
- 17 Sayulita infomation
- 18 tulum, punta allen and sian ka an
- 19 Wanted! Chilled beach and snorkel time on a budget, Mexico or...?
- 20 luxury hotels in Panama City with great location
- 21 Coastal resorts for mature single male
- 22 Help ! - FRAUD concern, Mayan Palace/Cancun Bay Tours, Riviera Maya
- 23 Wanted. Costa Rica All inclusive f/Calgary. Hoping for beach & town
- 24 Indianapolis to Puerto Vallarta by Land
- 25 passport expiration date?