DH and I have been to Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula twice and absolutely love it -- and really enjoyed both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo (the latter a bit more than the former, but both were terrific experiences). We love all of the different species of monkeys, the scarlet macaws, the morpho butterflies, the toucans, the coatis, and the spectacular hikes to waterfalls and tide pools. We don't need luxuries like AC (definitely don't care about TV) but appreciate comforts like good food and ceiling fans. A swimming pool is nice but not an absolute must. We like outdoor showers and great views. We are tempted to go back to the Osa again but would also like to try someplace different, but really want it to have great wildlife viewing and hiking and photographic opportunities. This would be for an 8-night trip in April. Since we have to fly from DC and only have a little over a week we don't want to go any farther than Central America or the Caribbean this time (as it is, it will be a full day of travel each way which will eat up a lot of our trip). We have been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio but are open to other parts of CR although I'm skeptical the wildlife would be as great as what we've seen in the Osa -- and are there places in Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala we should consider? (We have been to Belize and weren't as enamored of it. We've also been to Mexico and enjoyed it for other reasons but it doesn't have nearly as much wildlife.) Budget is not nearly as much of a constraint for this trip as time is, although good value for money is always appreciated -- we are willing to spend more for a truly outstanding experience. Ideally we would like to stay in one place for the whole time, or possibly move once during the trip but no more than that. We are pretty exhausted from work and looking forward to really unplugging, relaxing, and reconnecting with the natural world -- watching the sunset with a glass of wine with the sights and sounds of the rainforest or the surf. Any suggestions appreciated.
Anywhere else in Central America with as much wildlife as the Osa in CR?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Osa Hotel Questions
- 2 Cabo San Lucas
- 3 Bus options between San Jose and Bocas del Torro
- 4 Costa Rica for 9 days in Dec
- 5 Recommendation for December trip - from Guadalajara
- 6 Directly book Manuel Antonio Expeditions? Or just deal with hotel?
- 7 Ccost of a transfer from Panama PTY airport to Riu Playa Blanca Hotel?
- 8 Bringing clothes and fabric to Puerto vallarta
- 9 Trip ideas needed please
- 10 Mexico City, DF Restaurant
- 11 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 12 tours to gatun locks panama
- 13 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 14 Cancun or Playa Del Carmen for boogie boarding and hotel recs
- 15 Hopefulist in Guatemala (again) 2014
- 16 Belize vs. Costa Rica
- 17 our detailed report from manuel antonio
- 18 MEXICO CITY (DF)....restaurants, fondas--looking for great food&music!
- 19 Mex City Restaurant
- 20 Guidebook for Oaxaca
- 21 costa rica in two weeks
- 22 Airport policy for departures in Costa Rica
- 23 Cancun Hotel
- 24 Any recommendations for activities or adventures for kids in Riviera Maya
- 25 When to go to the Yucatán or to Puerta Vallarta