DH and I have been to Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula twice and absolutely love it -- and really enjoyed both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo (the latter a bit more than the former, but both were terrific experiences). We love all of the different species of monkeys, the scarlet macaws, the morpho butterflies, the toucans, the coatis, and the spectacular hikes to waterfalls and tide pools. We don't need luxuries like AC (definitely don't care about TV) but appreciate comforts like good food and ceiling fans. A swimming pool is nice but not an absolute must. We like outdoor showers and great views. We are tempted to go back to the Osa again but would also like to try someplace different, but really want it to have great wildlife viewing and hiking and photographic opportunities. This would be for an 8-night trip in April. Since we have to fly from DC and only have a little over a week we don't want to go any farther than Central America or the Caribbean this time (as it is, it will be a full day of travel each way which will eat up a lot of our trip). We have been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio but are open to other parts of CR although I'm skeptical the wildlife would be as great as what we've seen in the Osa -- and are there places in Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala we should consider? (We have been to Belize and weren't as enamored of it. We've also been to Mexico and enjoyed it for other reasons but it doesn't have nearly as much wildlife.) Budget is not nearly as much of a constraint for this trip as time is, although good value for money is always appreciated -- we are willing to spend more for a truly outstanding experience. Ideally we would like to stay in one place for the whole time, or possibly move once during the trip but no more than that. We are pretty exhausted from work and looking forward to really unplugging, relaxing, and reconnecting with the natural world -- watching the sunset with a glass of wine with the sights and sounds of the rainforest or the surf. Any suggestions appreciated.
Anywhere else in Central America with as much wildlife as the Osa in CR?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Maya Riviera to Belize or Costa Rica or Panama?
- 2 The product is really effective in reducing
- 3 Food poisoning?
- 4 snorkeling and relaxing beach vacation.
- 5 Should we cancel our vacation to Mexico in December?
- 6 Looking for suggestions for 7-8 days in Mexico
- 7 Mexico City
- 8 Do we need special insurance or driver's license for rental car in Mexico
- 9 Costa Rica with a 8 year old boy?
- 10 Bus service from San Jose´ del Cabo to Totos Santos
- 11 Cruise with a 10 month old to Honduras, Guatemala, Mexico,and key west.
- 12 Flores to Chetumal by road without crossing through Belize
- 13 Central America travel over New Year's
- 14 Costa Rica after 15 years update me on driving
- 15 Lodging in Costa Rica in January
- 16 Thoughts on Cayo District tours/accommodation options
- 17 Place to have a wedding in May near Cancun
- 18 43 Missing Students in Mexico
- 19 Costa Rica help
- 20 Cancun car rental/emd3 plus others help!
- 21 1 week in Panama - how does this sound?
- 22 7-8 Days in Panama. Suggested Itinerary?
- 23 Hopefulist in Guatemala 2014 (#3)
- 24 Costa Rica will include airport tax in ticket price
- 25 Belize in June?