DH and I have been to Costa Rica's Osa Peninsula twice and absolutely love it -- and really enjoyed both Lapa Rios and Bosque del Cabo (the latter a bit more than the former, but both were terrific experiences). We love all of the different species of monkeys, the scarlet macaws, the morpho butterflies, the toucans, the coatis, and the spectacular hikes to waterfalls and tide pools. We don't need luxuries like AC (definitely don't care about TV) but appreciate comforts like good food and ceiling fans. A swimming pool is nice but not an absolute must. We like outdoor showers and great views. We are tempted to go back to the Osa again but would also like to try someplace different, but really want it to have great wildlife viewing and hiking and photographic opportunities. This would be for an 8-night trip in April. Since we have to fly from DC and only have a little over a week we don't want to go any farther than Central America or the Caribbean this time (as it is, it will be a full day of travel each way which will eat up a lot of our trip). We have been to Arenal and Manuel Antonio but are open to other parts of CR although I'm skeptical the wildlife would be as great as what we've seen in the Osa -- and are there places in Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala we should consider? (We have been to Belize and weren't as enamored of it. We've also been to Mexico and enjoyed it for other reasons but it doesn't have nearly as much wildlife.) Budget is not nearly as much of a constraint for this trip as time is, although good value for money is always appreciated -- we are willing to spend more for a truly outstanding experience. Ideally we would like to stay in one place for the whole time, or possibly move once during the trip but no more than that. We are pretty exhausted from work and looking forward to really unplugging, relaxing, and reconnecting with the natural world -- watching the sunset with a glass of wine with the sights and sounds of the rainforest or the surf. Any suggestions appreciated.
Anywhere else in Central America with as much wildlife as the Osa in CR?
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Cancun in March
- 2 A FOOD-FOCUSED REPORT: MEXICO CITY, PUEBLA, OAXACA
- 3 San Jose del Cabo airport shuttle
- 4 time share jerks in mexico !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 5 5 Star NOT AI Beachfront Playa del Carmen
- 6 tamarindo (surfing,gun muggins and wildlife encounters)
- 7 8 days in costa rica!
- 8 Old Belize, Belize (Don't Go!)
- 9 Help me with 3rd trip to CR: Bosque del Cabo & WHERE else in Feb?
- 10 Car Rental in Panama
- 11 Costa Rica Itinerary Help!
- 12 Belize
- 13 Planning trip to Panama
- 14 Copa Airlines?
- 15 Intercultura Samara Language School, and Safety in Samara
- 16 Costa Rica - Guanacaste and ? near the arenal volcano or la fortuna
- 17 bicycle through central america
- 18 Cancun,playa del carmen,riviera maya, playa mujeres
- 19 Tijuana Safety in 2015?
- 20 Spanish Language immersion schools in summer (N of Mexico City)?
- 21 Cenotes near Playa Del Carmen
- 22 Panama
- 23 Celebrating Day of the Dead in Oaxaca - 2015 - Thoughts?
- 24 planning a very short belize trip for snorkeling, scuba etc, please help.
- 25 transportation from SJD to Los Barriles