Is there anyone who can tell me if using Antigua as a base for visiting areas in the Western Highlands - such as Panajachel, Chichi, and others around Lake Atitlan - is realistic? It appears Chichi is about 2.5 - 3hrs away from Antigua, which means a day trip would take a total of at least 5 hours in a bus. It appears the same is true with Pana and other towns around lake Atitlan.
I'm planning on spending a couple of days in Antigua but I'm having a hard time deciding if I should move to a hotel in / around Lake Atitlan to see towns in that area - or if I should just do a series of day trips.
Has anyone else done something similar? If yes, did you get to the point where you never wanted to ride or see another bus ever again? Your input is much appreciated,
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Uncrowded Experience in Yucatan
- 2 Two active couples looking for accommodations in Costa Rica
- 3 Costa Rica - Staying in Playa Hermosa??
- 4 Guanajuato
- 5 Costa Rica January
- 6 Hotel Punta Islita
- 7 Avoiding mosquitos at all inclusive in Riviera Maya?
- 8 Need a 2 bedroom hotel room in Historical district
- 9 NEED HELP WITH DAY OF THE DEAD AND BUTTERFLIES TRIP
- 10 Guatemala trip tribute Part II
- 11 30th wedding anniversary trip planning - Mexico
- 12 Getting around in Costa Rica
- 13 Our incredible week in the Osa
- 14 Shopping
- 15 Off the beaten path Playa Del Carmen
- 16 Yucatan travel guide recommendations
- 17 Driving in Belize
- 18 Mexico itinerary for 8-9 days
- 19 Guatemala trip tribute Part I
- 20 Roatan
- 21 Mexico City and...?
- 22 Nicaragua-avoid if you can
- 23 Isla Mujeres over Thanksgiving
- 24 First time to cabo helP??
- 25 driving colorado to costa rica