So we are exploring the option to travel to Mexico and still contemplating the idea although I have heard from different people that things aren't that great in mexico...Realizing that this is a broad generalization, I wanted to hear from fellow fodorites and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. We are looking to travel sometime end of June (last week possibly) through mid-July. As I am researching the weather during that time frame, it seems that humidity and heat could be a negative, however we are used to or are OK with 90s...but we would be very disappointed if rain is a daily thing...Those who frequent the area, how is typically the weather (rain-wise as well)?
We are looking for crystal clear and calm waters....I saw various pictures of Playa Del Carmen and seems OK...but I would love to hear from any of you here if Playa Del Carmen is a good choice. We are 3 adults and 3 little kids travelling from DC. We would be happy in resort (NOT all inclusive) type of lodging with full kitchen and amenities, on the beach, and near super markets, shopping, and possibly other (exploration) activities. If we need to rent a car/van we are OK with that. We are also open to the idea of a villa/condo but it has to be on/very close to the beach, but also near other housing so it is not isolated. Without wanting to sound paranoid, I am a bit skeptical about safety....Our budget is UP to $400/night but IF choice A over B is $450 or so and choice A is superior in terms of accomodations, cleanliness, service, friendliness, accessibility, we would be willing to spend the extra money. We would like to have the possibility to cook on site but also explore local food. I have read negative things about several different food outlets where people had poisoning and were not impressed, but we are still interested in exploring the possibilities. If Playa Del Carmen is good, are there any better alternatives in that side of mexico?
My apologies for the long inquiry and if I forgot to mention any criteria please point them out so I can add.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Buying a property in Sayulita
- 2 Renting Car along Riviera Maya
- 3 Belize vs. Costa Rica
- 4 Our first family cruise, Cozumel
- 5 Our first trip to Mexico-It won't be our last!
- 6 Please help with a one moth itinerary
- 7 Panama City visit; the good and the bad
- 8 Spanish speaking city to spend August 2017?
- 9 Trip to Merida - Very Long and Lots of Info on Restaurants
- 10 Merida in March
- 11 Trip to Costa Rica - Pura Vida
- 12 Mexico in March - questions
- 13 Hopefulist's 2013 Guatemala Travelogue
- 14 Cabo, Playa, or PV?
- 15 Questions concerning our 6 day stay in Mexico City
- 16 Private Fishing/Snorkeling boat in Playa del Carmen
- 17 Xcaret worth it or not?
- 18 Nicaragua - dividing time between Leon and Granada
- 19 Adventures in Portobelo, Panama
- 20 Costa Rica With Kids-Recommendations Requested
- 21 travel in Yucatan
- 22 Driving through Mexico to Belize
- 23 Police Harassment in Cancun
- 24 Gay Places in San Pedro Belize
- 25 AI Child-Friendly Tulum Vicinity (30+ mi)
Advice on Mexico/Playa Del Carmen vs TCI or other carib. destinations