Make sure if you hire a private guide for expeditions that you obtain a price quote in advance. Numerous members of this and other forums recommended Luis Olivaros as a guide to Tikal and surrounding sites. He brushed off or responded jokingly to several inquiries about his daily rate, and then at the end of 3 days demanded an exorbitant sum. If your guide won't provide a quote, insist, then find someone else. I was too trusting and hadn't expected such unethical business practices from someone who seemed so well known.
A warning about guides in El Peten
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Mexico City Trip Report / Photo Journal (love this city)
- 2 Costa rica help
- 3 Nicaragua, the new Costa Rica ?
- 4 car rental companies
- 5 Car Rental in Playa Del Carmen
- 6 How safe is Roatan, Honduras?
- 7 Chan Chich vs. BdC
- 8 cozumel tennis
- 9 Osa Peninsula Lodging for first time in CR
- 10 Panama - Best Place for Outdoor Activities?
- 11 Puerto Vallarta Trip Report
- 12 Costa Rica during Easter break
- 13 Baja California
- 14 Airport Transfer suggestions from Cancun
- 15 Mexico region question
- 16 All Inclusive Resort Recommendations - Mexico
- 17 Transportation from Osa to Arenal and hotel in SJ
- 18 help with travel plans 10 days Costa Rica in April
- 19 Suggestions for birthday celebration in or around Samara
- 20 Los Cabos Weather in late Dec
- 21 Advice for lazy *budget* beach vacation with 1 year old
- 22 Semana Santa itinerary
- 23 San Jose del cabo
- 24 Camera Suggestion for Use in Costa Rica Rainforest
- 25 Help planning romantic getaway for my wife to CR or Mexico