I am a 29 year old female from Canada.
i'm planning my first backpacking (solo) trip - to Nicaragua!
i plan on travelling for two months approximately, although time is not an issue at all, and i have a flexible budget as well. I was hoping to post my general itinerary and if anyone has advice/travel tips etc that would be much appreciated!
leave canada end of november (22nd ish, dates are only important to me in regards to flight prices/options)
Fly into Managua *during the daytime* and take UCA to leon directly.
hostel options: la tortuga booluda/el alberge/latina hostel/the colibri for first night anyways
- volcano boarding through Quetzaltrekkesa, las penitas beach, possible surfing, check out market and city
- stay here and @ las penitas (bigfood hostel?) for approx 1 week, probably less.
travel from leon to Masaya (craft market?) and Granada
- markets, see the city, travel to lake apoyo and stay there for a night or two
- id really like to stay at the Treehouse for a day or two, but i understand they are only open on weekends.
travel to Rivas - San Jorge - ferry over to Moyogalpa, ojo de agua *Hotel Paradiso - kayaking), hike the volcano(s) - mostly interested in the active one but maybe the other or both!
travel down to san juan del sur - would love to do surf lessons/surf camp/learn how to surf in general. not looking to spend a fortune (some of these camps are upwards of 1900$?!)
stop in at la hacienda iguana on the way (have friends staying there dec 12- 19)
travel back to managua and take a flight over to bluefields and head to corn islands. ideally i would like to spend christmas and new years here.... plan on being there a week or so. is this too long? and then fly back to managua and head back to canada!
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Again my timeline is very flexible. I'm hoping to keep this trip under $1500, but am realistic to think I could be spending more/less.
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 CHARTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT CHARTER Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Oaxaca for Muertos 2017
- 3 live from PV !
- 4 Getting to Chelem from Merida Airport
- 5 Belize itinerary help
- 6 Help choosing Spanish course / immersion in Southern Mexico
- 7 Heads up; Diversion pick pocket Cabo
- 8 Mexico
- 9 Nicaragua - Hurricane Nate damage??
- 10 Belize planning help
- 11 Another Yucatan trip report
- 12 Safe to drive in Cabo?
- 13 Trip Report - Yucatan
- 14 Puerto Vallarta & Vicinity
- 15 2017 SMA Trip
- 16 Panama Canal transit - Panama to Costa Rica or reverse?
- 17 Recommended Mexico City Guidebook?
- 18 Honeymoon in January 2018
- 19 7 days in Costa Rica - Itinerary suggestions wanted
- 20 Mineral De Pozos mini-trip report
- 21 1 month in Puerto Vallarta
- 22 OK to travel to Zihua and Ixtapa?
- 23 US Citizen leaving Mexico without Passport
- 24 Bocas ??
- 25 Young Couple Looking for a Vacation Destination