I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South or Central America with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 Hotel Recommendation for Riviera Maya please help!
- 2 Destination for 3 kids under 5 - Cancun?
- 3 Cancun Beach Snorkeling 6/2016
- 4 Playa del carmen - airbnb
- 5 Looking for Good Remote Study Location
- 6 help from a Panamanian
- 7 Amazing..
- 8 advice for costa rica about tennagers .
- 9 Pearl Keys
- 10 Transportation from the Royal Playa Del Carmen to Iberostar Grand Pariso
- 11 Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$
- 12 Stop at La Paz in route to La Fortuna?
- 13 Niaragua Adventures: Beware of the Small Print
- 14 Grand sunset princess (playa del carmen)
- 15 Picky traveler looking for a hidden gem
- 16 Honeymoon in mid-September?
- 17 Hotel Recommendations for Costa Rica
- 18 exchanging US dollars for Mexican pesos
- 19 Food cost for Caye Caulker, Belize or the islands?
- 20 Do NOT use ALAMO
- 21 Costa Rica- July trip
- 22 5 night Itinerary - Yucatan Peninsula
- 23 7 day western carribean on Norwegian Getaway
- 24 Travel Logistics / Safety
- 25 Luxurious all inclusive for kids
2-month sabbatical in Costa Rica- request for suggested town to stay in