I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South or Central America with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Mexico & Central America activity »
- 1 exchanging US dollars for Mexican pesos
- 2 Costa Rica Itinerary - Help
- 3 Guatemala trip in August?
- 4 Colonial Mexico for 1 Week - Help?
- 5 Driving Central America
- 6 July Adventure
- 7 Nicaragua -- connection
- 8 Driving in Mexico
- 9 1st trip w/new boyfriend cancun or near by.
- 10 june trip-help with itinerary
- 11 3 weeks on the west coast
- 12 Mexico destination for family vacation - not $$$$$
- 13 MEXICAN CAR RENTAL - YUCATAN
- 14 ADO or other bus booking questions
- 15 help from a Panamanian
- 16 Costa Rica Vacation Ideas 8 nights
- 17 Costa Rica Guanacaste Region and Reserva Conchal
- 18 Belize in mid September
- 19 Want to relax on a beach and do nothing
- 20 Wedding in Cancun - Sun Palace
- 21 Nicaragua accommodations advice
- 22 Small casual wedding location on beautiful Costa Rican beach? Low-key
- 23 PVR, Trop Room Location or Condo?
- 24 Playa del Carmen hotels
- 25 Bosque Del Cabo one week or split with Iguana Lodge
2-month sabbatical in Costa Rica- request for suggested town to stay in